I Don't like XIV. But hey, Gay Pirate!

Posted by bonbolapti (1612 posts) -

[WORD TO THE WISE: Essentially, I'm rambling and ranting. Join me won't you? maybe I'm not as coherent as I think I am...]

HAY SAILORS!

So... Let's talk Final Fantasy XIV. Terrible Horrible, Final Fantasy XIV. This statement is both true and false. Yes it's Terrible Horrible. BUT NO, because I really want to like it. Let's get all the obvious pros that I can think of out of the way first.

It sure is purdy.

Pervy Smile..
Okay, now that all that is out of the way. I have a pretty big beef with this game. There's a lot missing from this game to make it enjoyable. Again, obvious things out of the way. No hot keys, movement is jank, it doesn't tell you anything, (how to do this, what to do about this, well... what about this thing? Etc...) leavequests are all wtf. Where's any story at? How do I guild? Blah blah blah.

Basically, this Beta so far is pretty much a gong show.

I've had the joy of playing this game with Symphony and Ossi, and a little bit of Xeiphyer. If you ask any of us we would probably all agree on why this game sucks so much. This games biggest problem is that It's completely bare as an MMO. If you've played lots of different MMOs for many many years. Anything you could think of that you like about that particular game isn't in this one. A lot of things about XI that make tolerable let alone it's later improvements don't even show up for this sad excuse of “We totally know what we're doing here, because we're SquareEnix.”

As Ossi once said (probably) “It's like they've never made an MMO before. Or even, like they think they're the only ones that make video games...”

“But Bonbolapti, They totally made FFXI and that's perfectly ok... for what it is... I guess...” Well yeah, but tell SE that. Hell even XII was probably an improvement on some XI game mechanics. But there's no excuse for how, impersonal/disjointed/needless XIV is. You look at it and think why is THIS in beta? Nothing is streamlined, everything requires 3 to 7 clicks to do. Job classes are attached to items you hold and it's hotkey bar resets every time you switch. Where are my items? How much can I hold? Oh god I've going to go off on another tangent again.

When I first started playing, I had a serious problem with using both keyboard and mouse. So then I resorted to just using the keyboard. That was well and fine, but I still had problems with it. But then Symphony was all “Use the controller, loserface!” AND THAT was the exact moment I started complaining less. Granted this game is also for the PS3 (6 months later), but that's just it. This game way definitely made with the gamepad in mind. All of my issues with navigating for some reason flew out the window. Sure it's still a bit of a nuisance, but all the more tolerable.

Just a couple of WILD AND CRAZY GUISE!!
Then the issue of what you're going to be spending a lot of your time doing came up. Are you just going to want to be one class always and forever? Or are you going to experiment with everything you want to experiment with? With Sque's weird idea of less and less XP over time. The experience of just doing one thing always and forever does not look very promising at all. And yes, that sucks. But I found myself doing anything and everything. Keep in mind, that I really didn't like it at first. But there's not enough going on in the starting town I was in, to have everything done for me. I would adventure out, kill a bunch of things. Want better gear, go out and mine for materials, pound them into shape, equipment is breaking. Chop some wood, repair some tools. Every one of those things requires a different job. Interesting idea to some, but the whole idea behind it would not interest the hardcores/hardcorians. (it was a compelling debate, and for the life of me I can't remember most of it.) But after spending a day trying everything out, I was not bothered at all. Essentially it was letting me wander around more, and try different things, and collect different materials and try to make this, and repair that. All this stuff that was interesting to me, but yes, it's wrong that SE wants to limit it in such a weird way.

Um.. what else was I going to talk about. Oh yeah, in terms building stuff. I really hate how it doesn't let you know what you can do. Yes, the game in general never really holds your hand (see: steep learning curve) but after doing a guildleave for the armorers guild and it tells me “CONGRATULATIONS! You learned how to make something!”, and I'm all. “OKAY, SO where is it?” And the game is all “OH We're only going to tell you in the chat box! Try to remember what it is, okay?”

Whatthefuckyhell? You can't archive something? How come I don't get to have any in depth knowledge of any of these lesser job classes? I really don't want to resort to opening up a guide and making me feel like an idiot! FINE, I'll write this stuff down, okay I need Bronze rings and Sheets of Bronze chain. Sweet, Bronze rings! I can just buy those. BUT HOW DO I MAKE BRONZE CHAINS!?!? OMG PANIC. WHERE IS A GUIDE?!

I dunno, I do feel rather immature and nitpicky with the fact that this game is just so different than what I want in an MMO. It breaks my heart to see what they've done with this game, and as I said in the beginning, I really want to like it. Slowly and surely, I'm becoming less stubborn about it. (with everyone else I've been playing it with, liking it less the more THEY play. But maybe this is because I am an idiot? I'll have to check and get back to you. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of most MMOs in general.)

But there's a lot more time left to play this open beta, and I'm going to trek through it as best I can, to continue to learn things and/or put up with it.

In the meantime, here's a beautiful wallpaper of my character that I want you all to have. (KAWAITAMINUTE...)

Link Here
#1 Posted by bonbolapti (1612 posts) -

[WORD TO THE WISE: Essentially, I'm rambling and ranting. Join me won't you? maybe I'm not as coherent as I think I am...]

HAY SAILORS!

So... Let's talk Final Fantasy XIV. Terrible Horrible, Final Fantasy XIV. This statement is both true and false. Yes it's Terrible Horrible. BUT NO, because I really want to like it. Let's get all the obvious pros that I can think of out of the way first.

It sure is purdy.

Pervy Smile..
Okay, now that all that is out of the way. I have a pretty big beef with this game. There's a lot missing from this game to make it enjoyable. Again, obvious things out of the way. No hot keys, movement is jank, it doesn't tell you anything, (how to do this, what to do about this, well... what about this thing? Etc...) leavequests are all wtf. Where's any story at? How do I guild? Blah blah blah.

Basically, this Beta so far is pretty much a gong show.

I've had the joy of playing this game with Symphony and Ossi, and a little bit of Xeiphyer. If you ask any of us we would probably all agree on why this game sucks so much. This games biggest problem is that It's completely bare as an MMO. If you've played lots of different MMOs for many many years. Anything you could think of that you like about that particular game isn't in this one. A lot of things about XI that make tolerable let alone it's later improvements don't even show up for this sad excuse of “We totally know what we're doing here, because we're SquareEnix.”

As Ossi once said (probably) “It's like they've never made an MMO before. Or even, like they think they're the only ones that make video games...”

“But Bonbolapti, They totally made FFXI and that's perfectly ok... for what it is... I guess...” Well yeah, but tell SE that. Hell even XII was probably an improvement on some XI game mechanics. But there's no excuse for how, impersonal/disjointed/needless XIV is. You look at it and think why is THIS in beta? Nothing is streamlined, everything requires 3 to 7 clicks to do. Job classes are attached to items you hold and it's hotkey bar resets every time you switch. Where are my items? How much can I hold? Oh god I've going to go off on another tangent again.

When I first started playing, I had a serious problem with using both keyboard and mouse. So then I resorted to just using the keyboard. That was well and fine, but I still had problems with it. But then Symphony was all “Use the controller, loserface!” AND THAT was the exact moment I started complaining less. Granted this game is also for the PS3 (6 months later), but that's just it. This game way definitely made with the gamepad in mind. All of my issues with navigating for some reason flew out the window. Sure it's still a bit of a nuisance, but all the more tolerable.

Just a couple of WILD AND CRAZY GUISE!!
Then the issue of what you're going to be spending a lot of your time doing came up. Are you just going to want to be one class always and forever? Or are you going to experiment with everything you want to experiment with? With Sque's weird idea of less and less XP over time. The experience of just doing one thing always and forever does not look very promising at all. And yes, that sucks. But I found myself doing anything and everything. Keep in mind, that I really didn't like it at first. But there's not enough going on in the starting town I was in, to have everything done for me. I would adventure out, kill a bunch of things. Want better gear, go out and mine for materials, pound them into shape, equipment is breaking. Chop some wood, repair some tools. Every one of those things requires a different job. Interesting idea to some, but the whole idea behind it would not interest the hardcores/hardcorians. (it was a compelling debate, and for the life of me I can't remember most of it.) But after spending a day trying everything out, I was not bothered at all. Essentially it was letting me wander around more, and try different things, and collect different materials and try to make this, and repair that. All this stuff that was interesting to me, but yes, it's wrong that SE wants to limit it in such a weird way.

Um.. what else was I going to talk about. Oh yeah, in terms building stuff. I really hate how it doesn't let you know what you can do. Yes, the game in general never really holds your hand (see: steep learning curve) but after doing a guildleave for the armorers guild and it tells me “CONGRATULATIONS! You learned how to make something!”, and I'm all. “OKAY, SO where is it?” And the game is all “OH We're only going to tell you in the chat box! Try to remember what it is, okay?”

Whatthefuckyhell? You can't archive something? How come I don't get to have any in depth knowledge of any of these lesser job classes? I really don't want to resort to opening up a guide and making me feel like an idiot! FINE, I'll write this stuff down, okay I need Bronze rings and Sheets of Bronze chain. Sweet, Bronze rings! I can just buy those. BUT HOW DO I MAKE BRONZE CHAINS!?!? OMG PANIC. WHERE IS A GUIDE?!

I dunno, I do feel rather immature and nitpicky with the fact that this game is just so different than what I want in an MMO. It breaks my heart to see what they've done with this game, and as I said in the beginning, I really want to like it. Slowly and surely, I'm becoming less stubborn about it. (with everyone else I've been playing it with, liking it less the more THEY play. But maybe this is because I am an idiot? I'll have to check and get back to you. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of most MMOs in general.)

But there's a lot more time left to play this open beta, and I'm going to trek through it as best I can, to continue to learn things and/or put up with it.

In the meantime, here's a beautiful wallpaper of my character that I want you all to have. (KAWAITAMINUTE...)

Link Here
#2 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Hahaha yeah, I have to agree with everything here. Its totally insane to think that the game is coming out in 22 days, 15 days for the preorder early start people.

Considering that mmos are mad janky at launch and FFXIV looks to set a new record for it, I'll probably wait until the PS3 version rolls out and then see how much the game has improved. I think the core stuff in the game is good, they just need to fix some pretty major but at the same time minor problems. I mean, changing the menus and interface things really wouldn't be that hard.

Also I have to say, playing the game with a PS3 controller hooked up made it way better, having to click on all the icons and the button to open the menu was a real pain, but with a controller its pretty easy and simple. Lets hope that the PS3 version comes together properly and they fix everything by then.

Otherwise I'll just hold off until Guild Wars 2. That game WILL be good.

#3 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Going into this game I had hoped to see something more than what they've done in FFXI and the supposed improvements they've made over the years. But as you said, none of it shows and they seem like they aren't even acknowledging the blatant mistakes they are making. It's one thing to say a game is in a beta and is being improved on, but it's another thing when the very event of testing the game has shit missing that MMOs need in order to function properly. It's like testing a FPS game without gun models or gun sound effects. The things you expect to see and to experience that help the progression of the final product have to be in there and in FFXIV's case it is not.

The three things that blow my fucken mind about this game that should be there and are not :
1. UI / Menu Shortcuts. Cause it's real fun to go through 2 menus and click 3 different buttons with a floaty ass mouse cursor just to see who is online. 

2. TOOLTIPS. Holy. Fucking. Shit. I figured MMO developers would understand by now that if you have a game focused on gear, items, skills, stats, and a need to get that information quickly,  you would have some sort of pop-up help tell you what it is, what it does, what it can do, or what type of item it is. YOU CAN'T EVEN COMPARE QUEST ITEMS WITH YOUR OWN TO SEE IF IT'S BETTER!  /rage 

3. Map Navigation.  Navigating the world in an MMO is important and this game does it poorly. You can not zoom the map to a reasonable distance to view where you need to go, quests do not auto-mark on your map after you have accepted them ( they must be accessed through a menu in your journal under the quest in a separate map button ) and you can not click and drag the map around to see your surroundings. This game sacrificed typical ( but useful ) hotkey space for stupid slow-moving map scrolling. You use i, j, k, and l to move the map view around. So instead of being smart and using the existing arrow keys for that, OR THE MOUSE, they made their own arrow key section in the middle of the fucken keyboard. Oh, and the mini-map sucks ass too.

But even with those problems and then some, this game has a strange charm to it that you can't find anywhere else. The graphics are pretty fucken amazing ( should you have a PC that can run it at full ) and the way they designed the terrain feels really realistic and escapes the so-very-flat nature of other MMOs.

Overall this game is a huge disappointment, but not in a  broken/buggy game sort of way. It's disappointing in a way that makes you feel like Square really doesn't look at their competition or try to find out why other games are so popular or not so popular. I will adjust my quote some from the initial post ( though I did say that before ) -  It's as if they think they are the only company that makes MMOs and that their advancements are the only advancements.

#4 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

playing the final fantasy XIV beta actually got me to start back up my WoW account that had been dormant for a whole year. so congratulations Squarediosnix, you just gave Blizzard more money.

#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Gave the open beta a brief shot yesterday. Worst gaming experience in recent memory, if not ever. 'Nuff said.

#6 Posted by bonbolapti (1612 posts) -
@Xeiphyer:  but there we go! If anything it's promising as a console game :P

@Ossi: This should be known as part 2 of blog post.

@ThePhenomenal1: @Seppli: I tell ya, give it a year and it might actually be slightly more tolerable. or at least you'd hope by it's PS3 release.
#7 Posted by Colemang (22 posts) -

some friends and i were going to get this game, but all of us are in the beta and the people who are actually going to pick it up are dropping like flies, myself included.  i'm so mad at this game.  i wanted it to be better than FF XI.  i wanted them to fix the basic user experience.  make it smoother.  after logging onto the beta, i can't even do the simple things.  go see who?  collect what?  where did my space friends go?  shouldn't i go find them?  you said to talk to this guy and he wants nothing to do with me.  it's just dissappointing.

but like a previous poster said, i was going to give WoW a break for this, but not now. 

#8 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Hehe fun read. Why was I not told of this sooner?! 

And yeah you know how I feel and Ossi nailed a lot of the points home. Though I will say -- Aion is prettier than this, so even if you're just looking for a pretty MMO, there's already a better option out there >.> Also the character customization was extremely limited.  Yeah I know I'm anal when it comes to character customization, but goddammit, when will an MMO actually make some decent long hairstyles, dammit! Yeah, WoW sorta did it.. for MALE Bloodelves. (seriously Blizzard,wtf?) 

*ahems* 

But yeah even with a controller, I found myself fighting with the controls, especially targeting. Also, never good when you're having to put down the controller ever few seconds when you want to talk to party members and such. Keyboard and mouse worked fine in XI even on the PS2... so why the shift to a controller based game? >.> 

I honestly want to like XIV and keep telling myself "I need to jump in to give it another chance!" but every time I start to do so I suddenly feel apathetic towards it and conclude that it doesn't even seem worth the effort =/ 

Hopefully you can keep trudging your way through and find some things that are enjoyable, Bon.

#9 Posted by bonbolapti (1612 posts) -
@Colemang:  maybe the experience is a little too deep that it's lost somewhere and no one can find it lol.

@Symphony said:
" Hehe fun read. Why was I not told of this sooner?! "
You were playing WoW at the time lol... I think what's helping me tolerate the experience is that I'm essentially learning something new about it every time I play. but you know.. at the same time that doesn't make it good. at the end of the day, everything still takes the long way to do.
#10 Posted by Addfwyn (1925 posts) -

Worth noting that the control issue should be fixed by launch, in the latest patch issue Square has decided to further tone down some of the XP constraints, as well as activate the hardware mouse (which was off during beta, maybe they wanted to test the software mouse for something?  Who knows).  So that does fix the issue for people who have a vendetta against gamepads.

#11 Posted by Kuraform (52 posts) -

I'm just going to straight up admit that I love bad games.  

If I'm having fun being a cute thing that cooks things then like, I don't have many options besides FFXIV. Great blog post though, pretty much summarizes the major issues. Not having a recipe book was pretty brutal for me... BUT HEY, I LIKE BAD GAMES. so w/e. 

thanks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.