Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Looking to return to the game, but I have a few questions.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

So I played around launch time and had an awesome time. Unlike a lot of MMO players I enjoy the journey to the end game and don't just rush it. I took my time and enjoyed it. That's probably also because I'm not really a hardcore MMO player either so I'm a bit of a casual when it comes to the genre, in some respects. Anyways I got to the point where my characters (a Lancer/Dragoon) reached max level and made some headway into my Relic weapon quest. If I recall I believe the last thing I was doing was trying to defeat Ifrit (I guess a harder version?) to get a new weapon or something. I didn't make much of a dent, if at all, into the end game. Partly because it sort of intimidates me and also because there's just so much to it.

So patches 2.1 and 2.2 have come and been implemented now. I've gotten the hankering to jump back into things. Thing is jumping back into a game like this, after such a long break, is a bit of a daunting prospect. It also doesn't help that I'm obviously going to be waaaaay behind the curve at this point and really have no idea what I should be doing.

So I ask of you, what are the important changes and whatnot that I should be aware of if I jump back in? Are things different now? Should I be taking a different path for the end game? I feel like if I jump in, without asking a bit first, I'm just going to be completely lost. I'm also worried about how many people will be doing older content, that I have to be caught up on.

I've skimmed some of it and saw things like "Echos" and "Glamours" and whatnot as well. Basically the TL:DR version is: What do I need to know/do to get caught up to where people are at now and what are the important changes I should be aware of?

***edit***

Also forgot. Is there no way to get a full years subscription? I notice you can only get up to 180 days.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

@kishinfoulux said:

So I played around launch time and had an awesome time. Unlike a lot of MMO players I enjoy the journey to the end game and don't just rush it. I took my time and enjoyed it. That's probably also because I'm not really a hardcore MMO player either so I'm a bit of a casual when it comes to the genre, in some respects. Anyways I got to the point where my characters (a Lancer/Dragoon) reached max level and made some headway into my Relic weapon quest. If I recall I believe the last thing I was doing was trying to defeat Ifrit (I guess a harder version?) to get a new weapon or something. I didn't make much of a dent, if at all, into the end game. Partly because it sort of intimidates me and also because there's just so much to it.

So patches 2.1 and 2.2 have come and been implemented now. I've gotten the hankering to jump back into things. Thing is jumping back into a game like this, after such a long break, is a bit of a daunting prospect. It also doesn't help that I'm obviously going to be waaaaay behind the curve at this point and really have no idea what I should be doing.

So I ask of you, what are the important changes and whatnot that I should be aware of if I jump back in? Are things different now? Should I be taking a different path for the end game? I feel like if I jump in, without asking a bit first, I'm just going to be completely lost. I'm also worried about how many people will be doing older content, that I have to be caught up on.

I've skimmed some of it and saw things like "Echos" and "Glamours" and whatnot as well. Basically the TL:DR version is: What do I need to know/do to get caught up to where people are at now and what are the important changes I should be aware of?

***edit***

Also forgot. Is there no way to get a full years subscription? I notice you can only get up to 180 days.

2.1 implemented some pretty significant changes for classes/jobs (except Gladiator/Paladin which is fine as it is). For the most part though, your sentiment is why our Company exists. Though we dip our toes into the higher-end stuff from time to time, we've never really rushed it. 2.2 just added new Turns to the Binding Coil of Bahamut which is probably the highest end-game instance there is right now. We've yet to make any earnest attempts at turn 5 (the last turn of the initial Turns which have been in the game since launch) and all of us have no problem with that. Anybody that does have a problem with our pace usually finds themselves a new end-game focused guild or are simply removed for being obnoxious about it.

Echo buff is to help people get through older more difficult content with a significant handicap added in their favor to clear the fight. Glamour is just a vanity system that lets people put whatever appearance they want on their character without having to worry about stats.

It doesn't matter where you're at, if you're willing to speak up in the chat for help with what you need, there will probably be a party around to help. There's generally going to be people on in prime hours that will help you with the hard mode and even extreme stuff if you want to go that far.

The game has difficult content, but getting to the gate at which you can decide whether or not you want to proceed beyond it is actually a rather laid-back process.

Also, yes, I think 180 days in the max subscription length for now.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm somehow still in the guild so that's good. And are Glamours on a per armor piece basis or is it just a general overall character appearance change? I'm assuming it's like the Mystic in Diablo III.

So I'm guessing I should still be following the same end game path I was supposed to? I think I'm supposed to beat Ifrit and go do one of the harder dungeons (I forget the names, its been awhile). I could've swore I read something to the effect of returning players will be able to gear up quicker so they can get caught up on things, but I don't really know specifics. Thanks for answering also.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

I'm somehow still in the guild so that's good. And are Glamours on a per armor piece basis or is it just a general overall character appearance change? I'm assuming it's like the Mystic in Diablo III.

So I'm guessing I should still be following the same end game path I was supposed to? I think I'm supposed to beat Ifrit and go do one of the harder dungeons (I forget the names, its been awhile). I could've swore I read something to the effect of returning players will be able to gear up quicker so they can get caught up on things, but I don't really know specifics. Thanks for answering also.

Glamours are on a per piece basis, and are divided between different crafting classes/item levels. So, if you wanted to make your Drachen Mail (iLvl 50) look like the Foestriker's Tabard (iLvl 17), you would need to cast a Glamour on the former using a Grade 1 Glamour Prism (Leatherworking). It sounds a bit convoluted, but once you do your first one, the system will immediately click.

The relic quest chain you're talking about is still the same (beat Chimera, Amdapor Keep, mobs, Hydra and the three hard mode primals). As far as endgame gear is concerned, they've removed the Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy and removed the cap for Allagan Tomestones of Mythology, meaning that the path from iLvl 50 to iLvl90 is much quicker than pre-2.2. Additionally, you can also run through Crystal Tower to get iLvl 80 gear, but hardly anyone does it these days and it's often full of people trolling the raid.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

Glamours are on a per piece basis, and are divided between different crafting classes/item levels. So, if you wanted to make your Drachen Mail (iLvl 50) look like the Foestriker's Tabard (iLvl 17), you would need to cast a Glamour on the former using a Grade 1 Glamour Prism (Leatherworking). It sounds a bit convoluted, but once you do your first one, the system will immediately click.

The relic quest chain you're talking about is still the same (beat Chimera, Amdapor Keep, mobs, Hydra and the three hard mode primals). As far as endgame gear is concerned, they've removed the Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy and removed the cap for Allagan Tomestones of Mythology, meaning that the path from iLvl 50 to iLvl90 is much quicker than pre-2.2. Additionally, you can also run through Crystal Tower to get iLvl 80 gear, but hardly anyone does it these days and it's often full of people trolling the raid.

So what happens to any Tomes of Philosophy you had? Just gone completely or converted into Mythology Tomes? There was an NPC in one of the towns that you traded those to for some kind of gear, if I'm remembering correctly right? I'm guessing that's still a thing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@kishinfoulux: Do you have a PS4 because the PS4 beta is this weekend and everyone can play for free up to level 20 and carry over progress to the retail game. Might let you see if you're in the mood to play for free.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: Do you have a PS4 because the PS4 beta is this weekend and everyone can play for free up to level 20 and carry over progress to the retail game. Might let you see if you're in the mood to play for free.

Nah I was playing on PC. I'll probably give it a go, within a few days. I'll just have to remember and adjust to things again.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

@kishinfoulux: The philosophy tomes can be converted into mythology at an exchange rate of 4 to 1 (2000 philo = 500 myth). This can be done through the same NPC that deals out all of the tome equipment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.