Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

PS3 Memory Issues To Blame For Late Final Fantasy XIV Release

• 75 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

It's been known for a bit that the PC and PS3 versions of Final Fantasy XIV would not be launched alongside each other this September. But the reason why the PS3 version will appear in March 2011--a total of six months after the PC version hits shelves--wasn't widely reported until earlier this week, when Square Enix revealed that reason is related to some sort of memory pinch.

"The main reason was the memory," FFXIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka told VG247 during Gamescom in Cologne, speaking through a translator. "On the PC, they have enormous memory. For [the] PS3, there's a restriction."

Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up. He reiterated "memory" when pressed, leaving us to wonder if it's RAM, hard drive, or even Blu-ray related. But he did add that Square Enix is working hard and steps are being taken to adjust the size of the game's memory. Thanks! 

No Caption Provided

"[We] are adjusting the memory size and customizing it. It took longer then we were expecting. But we’re really working hard to bring it out as soon as possible.”

In other related news, there have been recent rumblings about the Xbox 360 version of the MMO, as Square Enix has carefully relaxed its position on Microsoft's "closed" Xbox Live service. But as of now, it still appears as if that version of the game probably not happening--not that you were holding your breath or anything.  

And if you were expectant, go ahead and run through the short list of canned MMOs supposedly intended to come to the Xbox 360 within the last few years. It's deflating in that maybe-I-should-just-get-the-PS3-version sort of way. Champions Online... Star Trek Online... Lord of the Rings Online... That one driving game that was turned into a hands-free Kinect title...
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

It's been known for a bit that the PC and PS3 versions of Final Fantasy XIV would not be launched alongside each other this September. But the reason why the PS3 version will appear in March 2011--a total of six months after the PC version hits shelves--wasn't widely reported until earlier this week, when Square Enix revealed that reason is related to some sort of memory pinch.

"The main reason was the memory," FFXIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka told VG247 during Gamescom in Cologne, speaking through a translator. "On the PC, they have enormous memory. For [the] PS3, there's a restriction."

Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up. He reiterated "memory" when pressed, leaving us to wonder if it's RAM, hard drive, or even Blu-ray related. But he did add that Square Enix is working hard and steps are being taken to adjust the size of the game's memory. Thanks! 

No Caption Provided

"[We] are adjusting the memory size and customizing it. It took longer then we were expecting. But we’re really working hard to bring it out as soon as possible.”

In other related news, there have been recent rumblings about the Xbox 360 version of the MMO, as Square Enix has carefully relaxed its position on Microsoft's "closed" Xbox Live service. But as of now, it still appears as if that version of the game probably not happening--not that you were holding your breath or anything.  

And if you were expectant, go ahead and run through the short list of canned MMOs supposedly intended to come to the Xbox 360 within the last few years. It's deflating in that maybe-I-should-just-get-the-PS3-version sort of way. Champions Online... Star Trek Online... Lord of the Rings Online... That one driving game that was turned into a hands-free Kinect title...
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

Meat gum.

Edit: I love my PS3, but I don't want to play any MMO on it. I would much rather have a FF XV.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By mustachioeugene

I'm outraged!

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crono11

That's disappointing...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

didn't FF13 just come out?

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fontan
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    "didn't FF13 just come out? "

That's mass production. FFXV will be out just after XIV, and XVI just after that...
    rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By rolento
    Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up. He reiterated "memory" when pressed, leaving us to wonder if it's RAM, hard drive, or even Blu-ray related." 

Well, the word  "memory" implies RAM.  Hard Disk space isn't memory and neither is a Blu-Ray disc.  Those are both storage.  So, there you go. 

A more valid question would be whether he is referring to system or video memory, though I expect system.
    sin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By sin13

So time to cut the resolution of textures in half?

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SteamPunkJin

" But as of now, it still appears as if that version of the game probably not happening--not that you were holding your breath or anything. "

Some of us were....

NemoDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By NemoDat

PC gaming FTW!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Rolento said:
    " Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up. He reiterated "memory" when pressed, leaving us to wonder if it's RAM, hard drive, or even Blu-ray related."  Well, the word  "memory" implies RAM.  Hard Disk space isn't memory and neither is a Blu-Ray disc.  Those are both storage.  So, there you go. "
    Hah, yeah, that's what I was thinking as I read that. Plus, it should be common knowledge that the memory of the PS3 is probably going to be one of the first hitch-points when releasing a PC/PS3 tile. Kind of weird that they ran into this problem so late. 

Nevertheless, the game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it. I might even end up sprucing up a desktop PC so I can play it.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

This game looks like ass anyway, especially with the latest news about the fatigue system. That feature is going to make this game tank. Play for 4 hours, and not get any experience for the next 48 hours? Bullshit.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Goldanas

Understandable, as the PS3 only has 256 MB for the CPU and the GPU respectively, whereas PCs have at minimum a solid 1 GB for each, respectively. 

I wonder if future consoles will have ridiculous amounts of memory, or if they'll skimp out again and only bump it to 512MB for each.

Deiterbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Deiterbomber
    @Fontan said:
    That's mass production. FFXV will be out just after XIV, and XVI just after that... "
    Now hang on a minute here...
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By sammo21

Even if I did want to play an MMO on my PS3, a FF themed one is not the one I would want.  The DC one does look promising though, but not to be payed for on a monthly basis.

UnbreakableVow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UnbreakableVow

It's "chalked up," not "chocked up."

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By august

Conolses don't have much RAM compared to pcs, especially this late in the generation. The gap will continue to widen for a while.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OldGuy
    @Rolento said:
    " Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up. He reiterated "memory" when pressed, leaving us to wonder if it's RAM, hard drive, or even Blu-ray related."  Well, the word  "memory" implies RAM.  Hard Disk space isn't memory and neither is a Blu-Ray disc.  Those are both storage.  So, there you go.  A more valid question would be whether he is referring to system or video memory, though I expect system. "
    Heh, true.

But when you've worked in computer support for as long as I have you KNOW that (even some relatively knowledgeable) people call all three of those things "memory." So, while it very likely has to do with the puny amount of RAM in the PS3 (what were they thinking anyway: "Nobody will ever need more than 640K of RAM"?) it's certainly possible that they were talking about one of the "other" "memory" items.

That's a LOT of quote marks there...
    lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By lightsoda

Thank god, I don't want a game with amnesia. 

Cypher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cypher
    @Goldanas: 

Every with releases every five years, the amount of RAM in, say, the Playstation has increased by about a factor of 8 each time. Given that we probably won't see successors to the Xbox 360 and PS3 for a couple of years, I'd be shocked if the amount of RAM in each console was less than 4 GB total.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @SiN13 said:
    " So time to cut the resolution of textures in half? "
    ...or remove all the grass?  :P
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSully

These guys seem a little late the the party, ps3 has known to have less memory for a long time now, its kind of funny hearing a dev complain about it now, makes you think its 2007 again.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Goldanas
    @Cypher:  

What's funny is that, by then, 4 GB will be too little. 
    rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rolento
    @OldGuy:  Heh, I know what you mean, and tend to agree.  In my less exciting life (as compared to game news article nitpicker) I'm a network integration consultant, so I deal with my clients using the wrong terms for technology all the time.  I'm just giving Tanaka-san the benefit of the doubt in assuming that as a game producer he's well aware of the difference.
    Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tsukiyomi
    @Rolento said:
    Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up.
    Does he have Amazing Commodities?
    kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By kerikxi

This is a bit troubling. FFXI always had major, major problems working around the system limitations of the PS2, particularly memory. If they're already running into problems getting the game to fit, it doesn't bode well for future growth with expansions and such.

Nemesis274

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nemesis274

MMOs normally have the constant updates especially when making new terrain for exploration and additional quests. For the PS3 to  be a bit delayed like that, I kinda understand why. Regardless, I might buy the PC version should it come out.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nettacki
    @Tsukiyomi said:
    " @Rolento said:
    Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up.
    Does he have Amazing Commodities? "
    Here comes Tanakaaa!! Over Gamescom to Yoouuuuuuu!
    dussssstin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dussssstin

It's cool, I got DC Universe Online.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frankxiv

i was so pumped for this game when it was announced but everything, and i mean everything, that i've heard about it since the alpha/beta started has been terrible. 

i still love the designs of the characters, same as ffxi, but i'm a definite pass on this.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Akeldama

So there are memory issues on the PS3 and people are still thinking there will be a 360 version?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By TheHBK

I don't know what he is talking about but its obvious Japanese devs have been off their game on the PS3 and 360. 
    Are they complaining about the RAM?  If the blu ray read speed was an issue, they could just put out the game on DVD... holy shit.  An install DVD for the HDD would not be a novel idea.  HDD, I don't see how it could be an issue, not many people have the 20 gig PS3. 
    It might also be the dumb approach that Sony took with the PS3 ram, specifically allocating it, half to system, half to video.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Junpei

The talk of enormous memory to work with on the PC is the reason why the benchmark is screwing so many people. They need to learn to optimize things instead of saying this is the easiest thing to throw together and that everyone will just have to max out settings as much as possible. Let me put it this way, my girlfriend has upgraded her comp to the point where it is able to run crysis at max settings and the FF14 benchmark still lags. It is no more impressive, just poorly allocated usage of components

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Sad face for this PS3 user until March :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Age of Conan was supposed to come out on the 360, too.  
    I wonder how big FFXIV's footprint will be on the PS3 hard drive.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36  Edited By SunKing

I imagine it's to do with RAM, rather than hard disk space.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Akeldama said:
    " So there are memory issues on the PS3 and people are still thinking there will be a 360 version? "
    You do know that the PS3 has more bottleneck issues than the X360?
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MajorToms
    @SteamPunkJin said:

" " But as of now, it still appears as if that version of the game probably not happening--not that you were holding your breath or anything. "  Some of us were.... "

But Square Enix said they wouldn't bother with it. Breathe, mate.

@Fontan said:

" @blacklabeldomm said:

"didn't FF13 just come out? "
    That's mass production. FFXV will be out just after XIV, and XVI just after that... "

They had two separate teams. The MMO team actually started production on FF14 well before the other team finished FF12, and will support the game for a while with content. 15 is still a looong ways off.
    Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zohar

There's really no excuse for the current gen systems having such paltry amounts of RAM, anyway.  Granted, they aren't running nearly as many background stuff as a PC, but I would have expected the systems to have, at the very least, 1GB of RAM.  Especially on the PS3.  256mb of VRAM just isn't enough.

Some devs are doing some really awesome things with what they have, but imagine how much better it could have been.

jbrocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By jbrocky

Yeah, this type of thing should be addressed while creating the application, not after the fact. As a programmer, I feel ashamed for these guys, if they would get it through their minds to make it the most memory efficient from the outset, they would run a less likely chance of having this type of situation develop near launch. More != lazy programmers.

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Terranova

it has be a ram issue what else would it be, PS3 can have any sized Sata 2.5" drive so that's not a issue, and as for bluray a dual layer disc is 50GB,  PC's are still using dual layer DVD rom even if it were to come on two dvd's that still only 16GB  for the PC so the PS3 would still be fine on side of things.  

the PS3 is only limited by ram with it being 256MB of main memory and 256MB for the graphics memory, Pc's of course are only limited by motherboard spec and even a basic PC these days would have 2GB of ram minimum.  

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ch13696
    "Tanaka didn't talk specifics on the memory hold-up. He reiterated "memory" when pressed, leaving us to wonder if it's RAM, hard drive, or even Blu-ray related." 

Wow, I don't know how you're a video game journalist if you don't even know the basics of computers. Memory is RAM as HDD's (hard drives) and Blu-rays is to storage. C'mon, my girlfriend is completely illiterate when it comes to computers, but when I mention storage she knows I mean the HDD or anything that "stores" files.
    kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kratier

you do comprehend what memory is right? it means bugs, it means poor coding,causing ram leak and crashing/poor performance, all mmo's have this

there isn't an issue with ps3's hardware

and last i checked, this was such a poorly coded mmo it requires you to have a machine that can run crysis at 60 fps constantly, to even come close to running this game at 30fps.

NAZAR3NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NAZAR3NE
    @Zohar: No excuse? These systems are 4 and 5 years old respectively, that means the 360 has been out since 05' and PS3 has been out since 06'.  Xbox 360 is half a decade old buddy... You act as if they came out last year... Also, last time i checked, i think PS3 has 256 x 2. 

Also, Yeah, memory is RAM, c'mon Nicholson.
    PixieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By PixieNinja
    @xyzygy said:
    "This game looks like ass anyway, especially with the latest news about the fatigue system. That feature is going to make this game tank. Play for 4 hours, and not get any experience for the next 48 hours? Bullshit. "

The fatigue system doesn't limit play to such an extreme - such stories have spiralled out of control due to doomsaying and a very liberal interpretation of a Square Enix interview posted by Famitsu, nothing more. The system has been in place since early in the currently ending closed beta, and has changed through this, and will change again due to user feedback before launch, possibly before open beta next month.
    TartarusReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TartarusReaper

I'm actually kind of not surprised by the reason, considering the PC version is horribly optimized. The game's a MMO but it's asking for all the latest hardware to run properly.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ravensword

lol, ok, who honestly thought that a PS3 would be as good with memory as a PC? And I gurantee you if this was coming to 360 as well wed be hearing the same thing about that.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ravensword
    @BergDK:

Yes, but its not to the extent where they couldnt do it on PS3 and they could on 360. If RAM is a issue on PS3 for this game, then im sure it would be a issue on 360 as well if it was coming out there also.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By salad10203

Having benchmarked the pc version.  I can assure you it is the video memory.  This game just ate up my 280 gtx.  And although I am not sure about the ram, i know the ps3 has more than enough computing power with its 8 cores.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xyzygy
    @PixieNinja said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    "This game looks like ass anyway, especially with the latest news about the fatigue system. That feature is going to make this game tank. Play for 4 hours, and not get any experience for the next 48 hours? Bullshit. "
    The fatigue system doesn't limit play to such an extreme - such stories have spiralled out of control due to doomsaying and a very liberal interpretation of a Square Enix interview posted by Famitsu, nothing more. The system has been in place since early in the currently ending closed beta, and has changed through this, and will change again due to user feedback before launch, possibly before open beta next month. "
    That Famitsu article may not have all the details exactly correct, but still, the fact that there is a Fatigue System in the first place is dumb and will limit the amount of players the game will get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.