Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Returning player, anyone have any tips?

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Junkboy

A bit of back story but bolded my main question if you want to skip.

So basically stopped playing the game when Destiny hit and haven't gone back for any of the free weekends. Also while I've kept up with some random stuff like trailers for Rogue/Nin and info on next classes I have seen zero things on other fronts like the Gold Saucer and patch info.

So since early Sep I'm guessing massive amounts of things have changed and while I will be looking at some of the notes there will be a bit too much to read through and certain things will probably have been adjusted from one to another so I doubt I'll read every word on every update.

I was in a good spot when I quit so I don't think I'll be too too far behind but I have no idea if that's true or not. Here's my character page to give you a rough idea where my stuff is at but my actual main was a WHM with a fully leveled Thyrus (at the time so 110 I think) .

I resubbed last week but just haven't had the time play and will jumping on for many hours this weekend. I came back solely for DRK as that was my love in FFXI and when I quit I said I would return when that was out. I haven't watched Heavensward latest trailer since it included spoilers but I know I need to finish the current main story before doing HW story and wanted to have a couple of months to fully catch up.

Currently getting the updates soI wanted to ask folks out there if anyone had any tips or general things to help me catch up?

Oh and before I hit create lolDRG....... :p I kid I kid you guys are alright... sometimes....

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RonGalaxy

You should probably put this on the destiny board so people understand what your title is referring to. Hit full edit when you hover over the post, click the x on where it says general discussion, then search for destiny in the search box when it pops up..... Or just wait for a mod to fix it and hit you on the head with a rolled up piece of paper

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Junkboy

@rongalaxy Apologies I swear I put this on the FFXIV board. @mb would've probably beat me a few times with a rolled up news paper right on my nose if I would've made him change it for me. :p

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sounds like you are multiple patches behind so I suggest catching up on the Main Story Scenarios. You will not be able to start Heavensward content without having completed it and this should keep you busy for roughly 10-15 hours. a lot of it is superfluous bullshit that is running around a lot but I really liked the last 3 dungeons/trials. You are already geared to do the newer content which just requires ilvl90 for everything so nothing to worrya bout that. Know going in that the last main Scenario Trial is a huge pain in the ass to do in duty finder. The mechanics of the fight aren't hard but good gravy do you get a lot of people that don't understand how use mechanics.

Anyways after that catch up on the Crystal Tower stuff. Syrcus Tower and World of Darkness are amazing raids and WoD drops ivl 120 gear and items to upgrade poetic gear (the capped tome currency used to buy ilvl120 gear) to ilvl 130 gear. Then if you are bored go to the Gold Saucer play some Triple Triad or work on your Zodiac weapon.

Good luck and have fun. Can't wait for 3.0 to get here.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you kind sir, always spent too much time with Tetra Master way back so will probably try that at some point. World of Darkness just sounds awesome! Just got on a bit ago after patching while I slept and first thing I started was main story. Will probably start my Nin in a little bit to see what that's like.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nin is pretty fun. I don't like it as much as Dragoon or Warrior but it's been fun to level. I'm 45 right now but I've been trying to push my Zodiac Weapon grind which means running dailies for Soldiery to buy Alexandrite maps.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Alex was the reason I deicded to stop leveling the Relic as the time per wep was just getting larger and since I like to play multiple classes hoping for drops or buying them for more than one was just daunting. This time around I'll probably just get Primal weps or something for everyone luckily i did come back to like 1700 Sol so I have some to spend on stuff.

Just did the count and I'm about 42 Main story missions behind >.>;;;;;;

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You look like you're ahead of me, I just hit 50 on my nin and kinda stopped playing. I realized, after I finish my story quests, that most extra shit will most likely get trivialized by the expansion's new gear. I leveling a Bard and a Dragoon in the mean time I think. Shame your not on Ultros, our FC there is always a hip and cool place for all the cool kids

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a great time returning when the ARR beta was going, ended up maxing a Bard out. Still need to do my relic quests.....

I would recommend joining a company, and asking the players in game. Most of the players I've encountered were super knowledgeable and friendly.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider

Yeah that's why while I'm gonna level and get new easy to get gear I'm not gonna break my back trying to get full Final coil gear tier gear or anything like that. Just gonna enjoy myself and if good gear drops From World of Darkness or anything I'll gladly take it but for stuff like Soldiery and Poetic? I might just save it and have it capped ready for next expansion. Before second coil patch I had a lot of Allagan Tomes of sol/myth? which ended up being cut from the game but they allowed you to trade in old tomes for new ones. So thinking of hording them both and if a third is introduced trade in old stuff to help me skip current gear and get better HW gear from the get go.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To be honest you should probably spend your tomes, the new currency for the new dungeon point gear like system won't be out by the release of Heavesward, but more than likely the poetics and soldiery currency will be all but worthless in the expansion.

I'd recommend you hoard all of your Gil though, who knows what you might need it for and it would be unwise to assume Gil won't matter at all like the launch of 2.0.

Finish all your story quests to get ready for the 3.0 main scenario, and just have fun playing the stuff you missed out on in the past months. It's a real bummer to return to an MMO and be stuck behind old content when the new stuff just came out

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meestero: @junkboy0: Yeah, spend your tomes. They've already phased out and replaced several tiers of those tomes since 2.0 launched. Even if they decide not to completely phase out soldiery and poetics, I can pretty much guarantee you'll not be able to buy anything good with them. The stuff you can buy now is the best you'll ever be able to buy with those currencies.

Even if they do let you trade it in for new currency, the exchange rate is always pretty lousy. When they phased out Mythology the last time I regretted not spending it first.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah you guys might be right, spending it now for bumps in ilvl might be better just raise it for all my classes. Both my healers seems to be about 103 so they're low but nothing too too bad hopefully I get decent drops from WoD and I can land gear that isn't replacing 110 items. This is gonna be a great weekend I will have sooo much to do. xD

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've said that the i130 gear should last you to about level 55 in Heavensward, so getting i110 or i120 gear will probably set you right at the expected gear level or maybe even a little over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.