Server Congestion and Trial Period Extensions (09/03/2013)

#1 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (293 posts) -

Lodestone Entry: [Link]

We would like to thank all our customers for their continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Since the beginning of official service on August 27, 2013, the number of users attempting to access the game has significantly exceeded our initial estimates. While we are pleased to see support for the game reach far beyond our expectations, the servers were not prepared to handle this influx of players. As a result, our servers have been pushed beyond maximum capacity. In order to allow access to as many users as possible, we have implemented login and character creation restrictions. We understand, however, that these restrictions have greatly inconvenienced our players.

To resolve this issue, we will be performing maintenance from September 3, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. to September 4, 2013, at 3:00 a.m (PDT), for the purpose of increasing the number of available Worlds, reducing stress on the Duty Finder servers, and increasing the number of concurrent logins allowed for each server.

Because login and character creation restrictions have hindered our ability to provide quality service, all FINAL FANTASY XIV service accounts will receive an additional seven days of free play time. Furthermore, users who have yet to enter their registration codes will receive an additional seven-day trial should they register before 11:59 p.m. (PDT) on September 9, 2013. Moving forward, we will continue monitoring the servers to ensure that quality service and support are provided in a timely manner.

The additional seven days will be reflected on service accounts after maintenance has concluded on September 4, 2013, which can be confirmed by accessing the

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station

.(http://sqex.to/Msp)

We thank you again for your patience and understanding as we continue to address these issues, and look forward to your continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

#2 Posted by TheHT (11555 posts) -

Hm, I was hoping they'd restart digital sales after they add more worlds on Wednesday, but it looks more like they'd do that after September 9.

Also no mention of addressing the login/queue issues, which as I understand it are the biggest problems. Guess we'll see what happens!

#3 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (293 posts) -
@theht said:

Hm, I was hoping they'd restart digital sales after they add more worlds on Wednesday, but it looks more like they'd do that after September 9.

Also no mention of addressing the login/queue issues, which as I understand it are the biggest problems. Guess we'll see what happens!

From what I've gathered, the Duty Finder was the primary reason they placed the artificial limit on logins, so they at least seem to be addressing the problem itself rather than the dressings, which admittedly would make someone like me at least feel better. If the Duty Finder and instancing is borked, people being able to login won't matter one bit because everyone will be stuck in/stopped dead in quest-progression with terrible or non-existent instancing.

As with everything though, I'll believe it all when I see it in action. I really just want a queue as I understand it, because I think what they have in place now isn't what people normally identify as a queue.

#4 Posted by Zirilius (680 posts) -

@theht said:

From what I've gathered, the Duty Finder was the primary reason they placed the artificial limit on logins, so they at least seem to be addressing the problem itself rather than the dressings, which admittedly would make someone like me at least feel better. If the Duty Finder and instancing is borked, people being able to login won't matter one bit because everyone will be stuck in/stopped dead in quest-progression with terrible or non-existent instancing.

As with everything though, I'll believe it all when I see it in action. I really just want a queue as I understand it, because I think what they have in place now isn't what people normally identify as a queue.

You mean spamming A button on the controller when I get 1017 errors over and over again isn't normal? WHAT KIND OF WORLD DO I LIVE IN?

On a side note more servers means less congestion. Less congestion hopefully means faster duty finders, and not having to spam A to login. This morning was great. I logged in, clicked start, picked my character and was in. It's amazing how great the game is when assholes don't stay logged in for 4 days in a row.

#6 Edited by Silver-Streak (1371 posts) -

and increasing the number of concurrent logins allowed for each server.

This part has me the most hopeful.

#7 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (293 posts) -

@eujin said:

and increasing the number of concurrent logins allowed for each server.

This part has me the most hopeful.

Good news is that it does seem to have helped somewhat (I haven't gotten any 1017s since the servers came back---just one 3102), but the bad news is that they are still throttling login connections to mitigate the madness. Expect to still see a lot of irritated people. =/

-Login Restrictions

In the time period just after maintenance has completed, we predict a rush of characters logging in simultaneously. In order to prevent any technical difficulties due to this login rush, we will be temporarily placing severe login restrictions. These login restrictions may occur frequently, lasting from a few minutes to ten minutes; however, restrictions will be lifted in a gradual manner as login status is carefully monitored. We ask for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Furthermore, as a result of the countermeasures taken to alleviate stress on the Duty Finder servers, we expect to be able to increase the number of players able to login simultaneously; however, if those login numbers still surpass the maximum number of possible logins in the various Worlds, please be aware that we will continue to implement login restrictions.

-Regarding Limits on New Character Creation As a result of this maintenance, it is now possible to accommodate an increased number of simultaneous logins in the various Worlds; therefore, we have now lifted the New Character Creation restrictions in the majority of Worlds in which restrictions were in effect. New players who are just starting a game or those who would simply like to create a new character can do so by finding a World which has had the restrictions lifted, and creating a character there.

Please note that there is a tendency for characters to become concentrated in certain Worlds, causing login numbers to jump up in those particular Worlds. In order to create a population balance between Worlds, we will continue to be implementing New Character Creation restrictions in overly congested Worlds.

We will monitor the situation, and in the event restrictions may be lifted, follow-up news posts will be posted. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and ask for your patience and understanding.

-Addition of New Worlds

With this maintenance, preparation for the addition of new Worlds has been completed.

Although it is possible to add several new Worlds due to load balancing on servers, an increased number of players able to login simultaneously to various Worlds, and New Character Creation being possible again on various Worlds as a result of this maintenance, we will only be adding a minimal number of Worlds at this time directly after maintenance.

At this time, the following new Worlds have been added.

*Japan Data Center

-Pandemonium

*North American/European data center

-Famfrit / Lich (Europe-recommended World)

Please note that, after a new World opens, we predict players will be concentrated in that specific World. In order to create a population balance, please be aware that we will be implementing New Character Creation restrictions or login restrictions in overly congested Worlds.

We will continue with the addition of new Worlds as we monitor the login situation and public opinion in real time, and updates of any new Worlds will be posted.

#8 Posted by Zirilius (680 posts) -

Played this morning just fine. Went to work and tried to log back in after a few hours. 3102....uggh.

#9 Posted by Stokes (194 posts) -

Any official word on when they're going to start selling the game again online? It's impossible to find a PC copy at retail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.