Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Want To Play Final Fantasy XIV? Convert Your Dough Into Crysta

• 101 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

People who showed faith in Square Enix's MMO Final Fantasy XIV by pre-ordering the collector's edition of the game are now running around freely in its digital world. And while those users are indeed doing MMO things like hacking at dodo birds and slash-dancing at inappropriate times, they're also learning how to spend their real-life, hard-earned cash in the game. Square Enix waited until servers went live to unveil FFXIV's curious currency exchange system, which operates a lot like Microsoft's Xbox Live points-for-cash system. Unfortunately, Crysta doesn't appear to cater to the user quite as well.

Let's back up. All chargeable services, including content and subscription fees for FFXIV, must be paid with "Crysta" moon dollars, Square Enix has revealed in a press release. One dollar equals 100 Crysta points, the publisher says, but bundles of Crysta have to be purchased in $5, $10, $20, $30, $50, or $100 increments. Also, there's a cap on how much money can be stored in users' Crysta coffers.

It seems simple, and the exchange part is. After all, we've been purchasing Microsoft banana bucks and Wii Shop zoo dollars for game services for years. But, according to users and digital Game Informer, there is a slight annoyance associated with using Crysta.  

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==Here's the shining example. A monthly subscription is $9.99 a month, while a character itself is $3 per month. That means a normal, one-character user will need to pay $12.99 for the privilege to play the game. Cysta, however, isn't conveniently sold in $13 dollar increments, thus its users will be jammed with overages regardless of how they try to purchase Crysta. Your best bet to avoid a major hassle is to purchase a $10 package and then a $5 package, leaving you with roughly $2 left over. Bummer.

As GI points out, a traditional credit card method of payment is apparently coming via a London-based service called Click and Buy. And while that sounds helpful, it might not be the total savior it could be. There's a small fee associated with use of this regular service, and there's always the chance that some users' credit card companies might not like the foreign transactions.

If Click and Buy turns out to be the dud people believe it will be, then it appears the best (and only) way to pay for FFXIV will be through Square Enix's Crysta system. What will people do with the leftovers? Save it until a rainy day? Purchase wallpaper? This remains to be seen.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

People who showed faith in Square Enix's MMO Final Fantasy XIV by pre-ordering the collector's edition of the game are now running around freely in its digital world. And while those users are indeed doing MMO things like hacking at dodo birds and slash-dancing at inappropriate times, they're also learning how to spend their real-life, hard-earned cash in the game. Square Enix waited until servers went live to unveil FFXIV's curious currency exchange system, which operates a lot like Microsoft's Xbox Live points-for-cash system. Unfortunately, Crysta doesn't appear to cater to the user quite as well.

Let's back up. All chargeable services, including content and subscription fees for FFXIV, must be paid with "Crysta" moon dollars, Square Enix has revealed in a press release. One dollar equals 100 Crysta points, the publisher says, but bundles of Crysta have to be purchased in $5, $10, $20, $30, $50, or $100 increments. Also, there's a cap on how much money can be stored in users' Crysta coffers.

It seems simple, and the exchange part is. After all, we've been purchasing Microsoft banana bucks and Wii Shop zoo dollars for game services for years. But, according to users and digital Game Informer, there is a slight annoyance associated with using Crysta.  

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==Here's the shining example. A monthly subscription is $9.99 a month, while a character itself is $3 per month. That means a normal, one-character user will need to pay $12.99 for the privilege to play the game. Cysta, however, isn't conveniently sold in $13 dollar increments, thus its users will be jammed with overages regardless of how they try to purchase Crysta. Your best bet to avoid a major hassle is to purchase a $10 package and then a $5 package, leaving you with roughly $2 left over. Bummer.

As GI points out, a traditional credit card method of payment is apparently coming via a London-based service called Click and Buy. And while that sounds helpful, it might not be the total savior it could be. There's a small fee associated with use of this regular service, and there's always the chance that some users' credit card companies might not like the foreign transactions.

If Click and Buy turns out to be the dud people believe it will be, then it appears the best (and only) way to pay for FFXIV will be through Square Enix's Crysta system. What will people do with the leftovers? Save it until a rainy day? Purchase wallpaper? This remains to be seen.
    ___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ___pocalypse

wat 

Edit: lol I can't believe I got it!  
    On the article, I think that's super lame. I'd rather just spend money as is, not in the weird roundabout way they're going to be doing it. Still, I have very little interest in FFXIV anyway, this is just another reason not to bother with it.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sissylion

Different currencies are lame. 

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By swoxx

agreed pplz

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By babylonian

I don't think "covert" is exactly the right word for this situation, Fake Brad.

knownspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By knownspace

Do all MMO development teams have a dedicated position for someone to come up with ideas to completely fuck themselves over before release?

sdhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By sdhero

If Square-Enix was trying to ensure that I'd never play FF XIV, a game I already wasn't very much interested in, then congratulations!  This is beyond dumb.

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Royale
    @knownspace said:
    " Do all MMO development teams have a dedicated position for someone to come up with ideas to completely fuck themselves over before release? "
    my thoughts exactly.  This seems really wacky.  I wonder if it will be possible to purchase game time cards from normal retailers.
    darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darkjester74

Wow, congrats to FF players on that royal shafting job.  Sucks to be you guys.  =(

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vonocourt

That's pretty sketchy.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TotalEklypse

alright i now officially shun this game. i had been following it for 2 years with extreme excitement .. but now after being in the terrible beta and hearing every tidbit of stupidity involved with this title i am done with it. way to turn a game into a total flop square. 

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By VicRattlehead

hmmm... I was very wary about buying FF14 I don't think I want to any more... thanks for saving me money square enix

DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaBuddaDa

Absolutely ridiculous

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By koobz

Fuck the future of commerce.  Fuuuuuck iiiitttttttt.

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rustyspoon

Yeah... Click and Buy is currently seeming kind of shady. Big discussion on it here if you're interested:

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/98856-ClickAndBuy-Impressions-%28Click-Ultimate-Pay-then-choose-PayPal.%29

SquareEnix continues to baffle me.

Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Roundtree_X

Being a lover of FFXI, I was so ready to play XIV when it came to PS3 but as time passed Square just kept...fucking with things that matter WAY to much to the game...now....all I can do is hope that by the time the PS3 ver. comes out, PC players will have complained so much that Square changes SOMETHING to help the game...

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Codeacious
    @knownspace said:
    " Do all MMO development teams have a dedicated position for someone to come up with ideas to completely fuck themselves over before release? "
    Seriously- how many times has stuff like this happened now? I'm seriously considering never purchasing an MMO again now.
    bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By bunnypot
    @BradNicholson:  
    Yeeeeah, I just used click and buy and I didn't even see the word crysta in the sign up process. In beta the account management site also had hints toward crysta so it's not like it was a big secret. 

Just like xbox live, if I have an option to avoid the shenanigans and just buy outright with real dollars, I'm happy. They need to start incentiveising these point systems in order to see them used. 
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adziboy

Wow, thats made me not buy it. 

Nice job Square Enix PR.

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spiegel

Best of all: if you wanna have 2 characters, which is more than common for most players, it'll be 16 dollars, and you'll have to buy 20. Awesome. That's absolutely ridiculous.
    But then you can have 3 characters, and then you'd have just $1 left over. Hmm... ooooooh I got it, Square Enix!

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @NeoGamer said:
    " Best of all: if you wanna have 2 characters, which is more than common for most players, it'll be 16 dollars, and you'll have to buy 20. Awesome. That's absolutely ridiculous. But then you can have 3 characters, and then you'd have just $1 left over. Hmm... ooooooh I got it, Square Enix! "
    5 characters and its $25 =P
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Man this game is starting to sound like it's going to have some problems in the future.

Still is a pretty game though with some interesting concepts. If the beta wasn't all jacked up, I might have been more interested in this.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Rhaknar

you have to pay more per character? are they serious?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Stupid stupid Japanese.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sunie

" There's a small fee associated with use of this regular service" 

I just checked this and the only fee they're charging is when you add a credit card to click and buy. They charge the cart for 2 small amounts ( 2x $1,xx ). This is standard practice with a lot of these systems. The money isn't lost, it's then added to your clickandbuy account.

Only if you want to add more funds to your account with your credit card, they charge you extra. BUT, you do not need to actually add funds to the account if you have your creditcard linked to it directly. 

If you do want to add funds to clickandbuy, I suggest you use paypal. 

Chylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chylo

Seriously, a fee for each character? Not $9.99 a month for a character, and $3 a month for each additional? That's laughable. Crysta just makes it worse.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xshinobi

Square-Enix seems to be trying their best to get people not to play/buy this game.

BD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By BD
    @Rhaknar said:
    " you have to pay more per character? are they serious? "
    Yea it was like that in 11, but you can technically be every class, its not like WoW where you you pick a guy and class and just lvl.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti

Bad game is getting a bad payment system.
    I smell a huge sucksess here folks!

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lacke

First off, it's stupid to have a monthly subscription fee that doesn't include any character. I get that MMOs are costly but why not just charge a $15 flat rate and let people create 2 characters and $3 for additional characters. 

The crysta system seems beyond awful. I wonder but reasons they have except for coining people with the old circus trick. It's definitely the deal breaker for me. I wasn't too interested in it but my WoW fire has burned out and I'm too much of a MMO nerd to not to be playing any MMO. Actually I'm more interested in Aion if it wasn't for that stupid expansion. I'm not getting Aion + expansion since I'll probably only play it for 4 months (7 tops).

nekoNari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nekoNari

Thanks, Microsoft!! >:(

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By meptron

This is actually realy convinient for me. I can just buy 0 crystas for $0. Crysta are easily purchased in 0 cyrsta increments, leaving no extra cyrstas in my cyrsta account.
    Garadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Garadon

This is insane. WoW only charges 15 bucks a month and I can create 50 characters. No microtransactions (not counting the crappy minipets that you can buy in the Blizzard store, since they're not anything necessary to play the game), no bullshit. Besides, I've heard terrible things about FF XIV. So why would anyone buy this instead of picking up WoW or charging your existing WoW account and wait for Cataclysm?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand the extra $3 a month per character, since this isn't like WoW where you need to make more characters to experience other classes. I can also almost understand the Crysta system, since it translates 1 to 1 with US bucks.

What slaps me across the face is their "package structure." In the end, it's the same amount of money, since I'm guessing any extra Crysta can be put towards the next month's subscription, but it's a fat load of math and trouble the players simply don't need to deal with. Let me pay you the $12.98 a month it would take to play the game, even if I have to translate that into 1298 Crysta. Don't force me to buy 1500 - that's obnoxious.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Junpei

Wow, I was looking forward to this game and the more that I keep hearing the more I don't want it. Guess I'll keep waiting for Guild Wars 2 to hit

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By X19

I don't like that at all. 

Why doesn't Square Enix stop with the MMOs and put their money into creating a  good story to go with a real Final Fantasy game, I have been waiting since FFX.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Junpei
    @Rhaknar said:
    " you have to pay more per character? are they serious? "
    had to do that since FFXI. People let them do it then so they aren't gonna change that now
    Macros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Macros

You can already pay with Click and Buy, the process was simple.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mrskidders

I really wanted this to blow me away but the game isn't reeling me in and the pricing is not cool.  Bring on Guild Wars 2.

PixieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PixieNinja
    @Macros said:

"You can already pay with Click and Buy, the process was simple. "

I agree. I subscribed via credit card on day one, without using the Crysta system. 

ClickandBuy is the only payment option in the EU, but UltimatePay is listed by Square Enix as another way to pay.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Levio

According to other people, this whole point is moot when you have a credit card and can avoid the crysta system.

The character limit thing is sort of bad, but since 1 character can do EVERYTHING in the game, its not exactly gamebreaking.  Not like WoW where half the game is faction only stuff, and each class requires a new character.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Red

Ridiculous.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By solidlife

It is like square is doing everything within their power to Turn people away from their mmo. WOW is the standard for a Reason.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By Wildfire570

What in the world are they trying to accomplish with this game?!

PetiePal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PetiePal

Nice!

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gilsham

this news was out of date before it was posted, I signed up and added a char without even knowing about these points. 

good job fear mongering

Flameinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Flameinc

This is stupid + 1/2 .. the extra half a stupid comes from saying it now, when there's a lot of people on the fence about it.. "well, I'll wait and see what the beta impressions are.. I might try it out.. " .. and then this bullshit throws people completely in the "mmm... no." column.. foolish.. foolish indeed.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I never understood the point of making to you buy in  increments. Its just a huge hassle to the player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.