What city/race are you starting in, and why?

#1 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

So enough of the discussion as FFXIV as a product, what about the actual game.  We have a thread for servers already, but what city/race combo are you guys going to be starting with/have you already started on?  Job doesn't matter so much, since it's readily changed. 

I'll be on Saronia as a Miqo'te (not 100% sure which tribe yet) from Gridania, just because it reminds me of Windurst.  I was a hardcore Windurstian in FFXI, so would like to keep that tradition strong (I also played a Mithra back then as well).

#2 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Hm, I'm not sure myself, I keep switching what I want to be yet XD I'll just have to wait for the game to come out before I completely decide.

#3 Posted by PixieNinja (172 posts) -
@Addfwyn:

I started with the CE, but have had relatively limited time to put into the game since release. 

I've gone with Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun, starting in Ul'dah. I'd tried a few of the races in the beta, and I'd always been fond of Mithra and Taru's since my days with FFXI, so that was the logical point to start when I began with XIV. I was torn when the game was released, but I just wound up with Miqo'te as I'd rather see more of the outfits and armour, as opposed to little mini versions on the Lalafell :) 

I went with Ul'dah as I liked how impressive the city looked, and the way it was organised. I got a bit sick of Limsa after the closed beta, and whilst Gridania had the best opening story for me, the layout of the city made it hard work to get from A to B. Obviously I still visit those cities, as running to them to touch the crystal for teleportation was one of the first things that I did, but I'll always wind up back in Ul'dah.

I started out as a Pugilist for my main job, and I've dabbled in Goldsmithing too.
#4 Posted by Nardak (461 posts) -
The game could explain the starting choiches a bit better. As a pugilist a better starting town would have been Uldah which has also the pugilist guild (though you cant actually join the guild until level 20 for some weird reason). 

But as I found out Uldah has a nice level 13 pugilist weapon on sale from a npc for a lowly price of 87,000 (pretty expensive but I cant be bothered with the crafting at the moment and marketplace is a mess).
#5 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te Archer in Gridania. Though i'm currently in Limsa Lominsa...and unable to play cause the only time i can play the server doesn't seem to like me.
#6 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

I'm still in the process of choosing, but I'm thinking it will definitely be Male Hyur Midland (regular one?) and I'm thinking Gridania(sp?) or Limsa Lominsa

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.