Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

What do you want out of the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f
    deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I personally wasn't a huge fan of FFXI, but am excited about what could possibly happen with FFXIV.  What do you guys want different, or what things would you find interesting to add to the FF online universe?

Personally, as one of the 15 FF fans that actually really liked XII for what it tried to do, I would like to see some elements of FFXII in this game.  XII to me seemed like how FF online should play (single player FF is a different story altogether, go XIII!).

I think a branching job system would be interesting.  Everyone start at the same place, but as you develop, you learn new skills from related jobs, so that you have the chance to make a very versitile, or very single job centric character. 

Alright guys, GO!
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot

If it's released for 360, I don't want to pay an extra fee for the game. I'm already paying for Live.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By asurastrike

I want the game to be more accessible than XI. XI was way too hardcore and grindy. If they remove the tedium and focus more on making it a "Final Fantasy experience", I will definitely give it a try.

Also, I would like a LOT of customization. I really like the style and art of Final Fantasy games, so it would be nice if I could make my character look how I want it to look.

I look at a Final Fantasy MMO the same way I look at the Star Wars MMO's, there is such a great universe to explore, I am just waiting for them to get it right.

BeefWaterfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BeefWaterfall

As a long time player of many MMOs (including FFXI), here some overall things I'd like to see:

1.) Many MMOs coming out of Japan or Korea seem to be really light on character customization. That needs to end with FF14. Do they not think that aspect is important? Not sure what makes them not spend too much energy on that.

2.) Final Fantasy 11 was very grindy and tedious. That something that doesn't need to make its way over to FF14.

3.) Here's something all MMOs, not just the upcoming FF14, should be good at. That is, the aspect of being "Friend Friendly" .

MMOs are really hard on real life friends. Rarely is a group of buddies all able to have the same play hours and frequency of play sessions. Due to how levels work, the game eventually separates friends from one another. Leveling is just one thing. 

Then there are the factions. Sometimes some friends want to play on one side (good or evil) and some friends want to play on the other. Sure, one could say true friends would all come to an agreement, but because they are GAMES, in which they pay to play.... even friends put their foot down on how they want to enjoy the game. If its playing Horde, then so be it. Now you have some friends on one side and some on the other with no way to have one character that can play with them both. Everquest 1 and 2 are cool in that evil and good characters can still hang out and do dungeons together. Warcraft...not at all.

Then there are servers. This is the easiest to solve. Simply e-mail everyone up and say, "guys....we're playing on Skull Throne....make your characters there." However, after a year of playing the game on one server, how do you play with someone on another server who has just recently become a new friend? This happens at work a lot. We're around the water cooler and someone finds out that you also play the same MMO. You're both excited to meet a fellow gamer but then its deflated when you both find out that you guys have level 60s on totally different servers. Well.....guess we'll never hang out then. What if you magically meet a girl that is also into gaming and she plays on another server? This happened to a friend of mine. Dude had to try and play two different characters, one for his girlfriend, and one for the old buddies and guildies he has been hanging with for years. Server isolation is a b!tch. Somehow this needs to be solved.  One of the reasons why I like Guild Wars was because it didn't have this problem.

4.) The Holy Trinity must end. I'm sick of the DPS, Tank, Healer roles. That needs to be buried. Or if kept, needs to be heavily overhauled so that it doesn't continue to still add the same problems to gameplay that the trinity usually does.

Anyways, those are my wishes.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PercyChuggs

How about something that no FF game has had since FFVIII: fun battles. That would be sweet.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By asurastrike
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " How about something that no FF game has had since FFVIII: fun battles. That would be sweet. "
    I liked the battles in FFX. Drawing was a pain in VIII. :P
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    NO DOWNLEVELING UPON DEATH.
    And make it so things as simple as bats or goblins don't take three minutes to kill with a full party.
    These pissed me off in XI.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

No online fees -_- It's going to happen anyway isn't it?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Fallen189

Gameplay

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ineedaname said:
    "No online fees -_- It's going to happen anyway isn't it?"

I think so, the only chance of it being free is if they use Sony's servers, but that still would cost them.
    Most mmo's have a subscription fee, and the ones that are free usually suck.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush

I actually played a bit of FFXI (aka the first free month) and what I would want out of a new FF MMO is this: No XP penalty for dying. That really bothered me in FFXI and I won't even think about touching FFXIV if that hasn't been changed.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

I really just want to to exist and be interesting. That sounds a little vague, but consoles don't have an MMO (FFXI doesn't count) Hopefully it's not too hardcore, and comes to 360 even though I have a PS3.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Instanced zones. FFXI's major failing point is their fucking Ground HNM system.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By rargy

I just hope it keeps the same visual balance of fantasy and reality that FFXI had.  Solo play would be nice as well but i think that's already been announced.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Kiemoe

A story. And I would like it to look sharp on the Playstation, you know?

Avatar image for deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f
    deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

getting rid of the XP dying penalty is a must for me also.  i know gambits are love them or hate them, but I would like to see them return in FFXIV, since its an online game and it would be easier to react to spontaneous events with the gambits. 

new character classes would be great, returning favorites, some obscure ones, and some that have never been seen in an FF game before.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By danielkempster

I would like Square Enix to drop the "XIV" part of the title. I have nothing against the concept of a Final Fantasy MMO, but online instalments in the main series don't sit right with me.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond

Simplest way to put it : I don't want it dumbed down to modern MMO WoW-gameplay levels.

I'm hoping the Japanese design philosophy will keep more FF11 elements, keep the game interesting and not a pushover.  Make me think when I'm playing.

DON'T GET RID OF XP PENALTY FOR DYING.  It shouldn't ever be a massive penalty, like in EQ1 where you could easily lose a day's worth of play for dying once.  There should be SOME penalty so I care if I die or not.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Keeng
    I absolutely love FFXII and I consider it to be the greatest Final Fantasy ever made. That's kind of off-topic but there are more than enough people hating on it all the time, so my little moment of adoration shouldn't hurt anyone. I also wanted to address the complaint BeefWaterfall had about servers in MMOs. FFXI had two systems in place that let people simply move their characters to different servers. It was one of many reasons why the game is the only successful console MMO and one of the only games to keep its numbers up post-WoW. Anywho, here's my list: 

1. I think they should keep the XP penalty for dying. FFXI greatly rewarded people playing methodically and cautiously. Death was made that much more intense because there was so much to lose. Sure it pissed people off sometimes, but it also made dangerous mobs and areas feel really F'n dangerous. Behemoth's Dominion felt like fuckin Detroit. 
    2. I would like a seamless world (i.e. WoW, EQ). I understand the technical reasons why that could be difficult though, so I understand why it may not happen. 
    3. I love me some grinding but FFXI certainly pushed the limits. I had a roommate who maxed a WoW character in like three months. You just can't do that in FFXI at all. The enemies don't give you enough XP. Later in the game it can take more than five straight hours of grinding to level up per level. Additionally, there aren't really mounts in the traditional sense so you can't do things like fly straight to areas. Getting around Vanadiel can be a huge hassle even at high levels. Add to that the fact that you need a party to do anything after level 10. Basically, what I'm saying here is FFXIV could stand to be a little easier...or "streamlined" as they said in the interviews. There are some small things they could do to make processes like traveling, leveling, shopping, etc., take less time.
    4. Characters should be more customizable.
    5. ...other stuff I can't remember right now. Whatever, I'm still getting this.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Ineedaname said:
    " No online fees -_- It's going to happen anyway isn't it? "
    Ugh.  It's an MMO.  MMO's have monthly fees.

I think it's still going to serve a farily hardcore audience.  There will be casual options, as they've already stated.  If it's another WoW clone, I'm declaring this genre dead to me.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy
    @Kombat said:
    "
    @Ineedaname said:

Not all MMO's have monthly fees. In addition to some purely free MMO's (like Planeshift (http://www.planeshift.it/)) or Micro Transaction based like Shin Megami Tensei: Online Imagine (http://megaten.aeriagames.com/). Some Subscription based MMO's have also gone free/microtransaction based like Cabel Online and recently D&D Online. All of these MMO's are still functioning which shows its a sustainable buissness model, though whether it really gives enough money to warrent square enix's attention is another story.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Pazy said:
    "
    @Kombat said:
    "
    @Ineedaname said:
    Not all MMO's have monthly fees. In addition to some purely free MMO's (like Planeshift (http://www.planeshift.it/)) or Micro Transaction based like Shin Megami Tensei: Online Imagine (http://megaten.aeriagames.com/). Some Subscription based MMO's have also gone free/microtransaction based like Cabel Online and recently D&D Online. All of these MMO's are still functioning which shows its a sustainable buissness model, though whether it really gives enough money to warrent square enix's attention is another story. "
    Neither did guild wars and that was popular enough.
    I was basing the FF having monthly fees on the last one though.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By suneku

I really loved FFXI, so what I want the most is a great atmosphere. The music, the scenery, etc. Those were what I loved the most in FFXI. Also hopefully the grinding of levels is a bit easier then in FFXI.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Keeng
    @Ineedaname said:
    "
    @Pazy said:
    "
    @Kombat said:
    "
    @Ineedaname said:
    Not all MMO's have monthly fees. In addition to some purely free MMO's (like Planeshift (http://www.planeshift.it/)) or Micro Transaction based like Shin Megami Tensei: Online Imagine (http://megaten.aeriagames.com/). Some Subscription based MMO's have also gone free/microtransaction based like Cabel Online and recently D&D Online. All of these MMO's are still functioning which shows its a sustainable buissness model, though whether it really gives enough money to warrent square enix's attention is another story. "
    Neither did guild wars and that was popular enough.I was basing the FF having monthly fees on the last one though. "
    I doubt the micro transaction model will go well with a retail game. They're almost certainly going for a monthly fee. I read an interview where one of the devs said they're looking into an Xbox Live-esque system whereby you pay in advance. So you would, for example, pay $12 for 30 days of access or $24 for 90. However they do it, expect that game to have fees. The real question is: will the game be $60? MMORPGs are usually less than other games simply because they have fees. I know FFXI wasn't $50 at launch. 
    roddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By roddra
    @Ineedaname: The problem with the Guild Wars comparison is that you purchased the game, and that was primarily it. The titles were virtually without any support whatsoever and the world felt stagnant, static, because of it. FFXI is constantly evolving to this day with grand additions well beyond the obvious expansions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.