Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

A new look at the gameplay of Final Fantasy XV

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

Its not the TGS demo its from the Final Fantasy Agito-Type 0 stream event and trust me it looks so much better than its last showing

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Looks great! It's a lot more actiony than the first trailer implied. I know people are getting wary that all it's going to be is "Press X the game", but this trailer seems to show at least a little more strategy to the combat. There's more verticality and movement at least. If they take this the way of a character action game like Devil may cry or Metal Gear rising then I'll be happy to jump on board. We've yet to see if there's any more depth to the mechanics though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Looks great! It looks a lot more actiony than the first trailer implied. Kind of giving me a Devil may cry or Metal Gear rising sort of vibe.

I don't think it has anywhere near the depth of those games. It looks more like Kingdom Hearts combat where you just hit X and cool things happen.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really hope that the menu on the bottom left isn't just some "Attack"-thing that automatically attacks enemies with combos when selected.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    @corevi said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

Looks great! It looks a lot more actiony than the first trailer implied. Kind of giving me a Devil may cry or Metal Gear rising sort of vibe.

I don't think it has anywhere near the depth of those games. It looks more like Kingdom Hearts combat where you just hit X and cool things happen.

Sure, I just mean in terms of the field of movement and verticality. Whether or not it has any more depth in the mechanics, we'll have to see.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

Sure, I just mean in terms of the field of movement and verticality. Whether or not it has any more depth in the mechanics, we'll have to see.

Pretty much the entirety of KH2 was air combos, so I imagine this is pretty close to that.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If it's basically just Kingdom Hearts combat I'll be happy. If it's FF XII automatic queuing up of attacks, no thanks. Can anybody translate what they're saying?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Certainly looks faster paced which is good.... but frankly not sure about the controls and feel. Kind of looks like Too Human or something how you kind of warp around with your attacks which I'm not a fan of.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlue

I'm getting whiplash watching this.

It seems to be leaning more and more to the "Press X to combo" which is discouraging to me, but I guess we'll see. Can't really tell much beyond visuals so there could be more.

EDIT: Okay, well, it seems there is more to the combat. The X button will just give you the "standard combo," but you can hit directional buttons to change the combo. Not sure if this actually effects the attack or not.

More stuff in here as well as addressing the casual comment.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's some info:

- The battle system in FFXV is Active Cross Battle (AXB)

- Timing, positioning and direction is key in battle

- Key inputs are: An attack button, a defend button, a skill button, a magic button, a jump button and a warp button (so much for one button battle)

- Holding defend button to evade drains MP, you cannot do it for as long as you want and must choose wisely when to use it. Some attacks will require more advanced evasion by timing a button press just right

- Attack button is used for basic combos. The different weapons used in these combos are based on a gambit-like system the player can deck out where a certain weapon is used depending on a certain condition, the condition being determined by the player

- Skill button is used to do special attacks with the main weapon you choose to equip, the effects of these special attacks changing depending on the type of weapon chosen. Timing and position is key to these advanced attacks

- The sword barrier seen in reveal footage is still in and can be used defensively as well as offensively (projectiles)

- You can do short warps in the battlefield to cover more ground in attacks and combos, you can also parry attacks

- There will be lots of tactical aspects in battle for core games, like elemental weaknesses and so on

- You can join your party members for special dual / triple tech attack combos. These are not one-offs and can be executed continuously so long as you parry the attack

- Because of the unique gameplay aspects of warping and the many summonable weapons that will be used throughout in battle and field play, Noctis is the only playable character, but his unique combat style and how the party interacts with him in battles is what drives the entire battle system

- Other party members can be controlled via gambits, will level up and can be deckout out at will

Sounds good to me.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

@kishinfoulux: Yeah, sounds like it could be a really cool mix between your standard character-action game combat and that of something like FFXII/Xenoblade.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EuanDewar

They need to just put out a 10 minute trailer or something where they go through the combat in-depth. Even watching this alongside the text explanation of the combat I still have no idea how it's meant to work. Hopefully we'll get that further into the promo cycle.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Sounds cool from the description, looks cool too.

Wonder how this scales throughout a long ass game like FF?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Here's some info:

• - The battle system in FFXV is Active Cross Battle (AXB)
    • - Timing, positioning and direction is key in battle
    • - Key inputs are: An attack button, a defend button, a skill button, a magic button, a jump button and a warp button (so much for one button battle)
    • - Holding defend button to evade drains MP, you cannot do it for as long as you want and must choose wisely when to use it. Some attacks will require more advanced evasion by timing a button press just right
    • - Attack button is used for basic combos. The different weapons used in these combos are based on a gambit-like system the player can deck out where a certain weapon is used depending on a certain condition, the condition being determined by the player
    • - Skill button is used to do special attacks with the main weapon you choose to equip, the effects of these special attacks changing depending on the type of weapon chosen. Timing and position is key to these advanced attacks
    • - The sword barrier seen in reveal footage is still in and can be used defensively as well as offensively (projectiles)
    • - You can do short warps in the battlefield to cover more ground in attacks and combos, you can also parry attacks
    • - There will be lots of tactical aspects in battle for core games, like elemental weaknesses and so on
    • - You can join your party members for special dual / triple tech attack combos. These are not one-offs and can be executed continuously so long as you parry the attack
    • - Because of the unique gameplay aspects of warping and the many summonable weapons that will be used throughout in battle and field play, Noctis is the only playable character, but his unique combat style and how the party interacts with him in battles is what drives the entire battle system
    • - Other party members can be controlled via gambits, will level up and can be deckout out at will

Sounds good to me.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.