Fans Disappointed with FFXIII, Will this be better?

Posted by m1k3 (1333 posts) -

I am reading up on a lot of Final Fantasy fans and players who are disappointed, and even disgusted with FFXIII. Most of the complaints im seeing is that it's too linear, the battle system is exploited by just attacking constantly, the game is just another generic JRPG, etc. 
 I'm still going to be giving this game a chance since it has yet to hit the U.S. (and i really like the FF series), but with these disappointments i see hope in VersusXIII. 

I really hope that Square-Enix are putting most, if not all, of their "A" team on this project now that XIII is released. I am now thinking to myself that this will be the true FFXIII that the fans and players would want. 

Sure we dont know much about VersusXIII right now, but from the few trailers that were released it looks really beautiful. The latest trailer that i have seen was the one that came with FFVII:Advent Children Complete, and maybe the last bit of the trailer was gameplay, maybe it was pre-rendered, all i know is that it left me wanting. From what i've heard regarding the battle system, it is something like Kingdom Hearts. That is only what i heard, only Square-Enix knows truly what the battle system is like.

Of course like everyone else, im still waiting for more info on this game. but from what little i know, i am hopeful.

#1 Posted by m1k3 (1333 posts) -

I am reading up on a lot of Final Fantasy fans and players who are disappointed, and even disgusted with FFXIII. Most of the complaints im seeing is that it's too linear, the battle system is exploited by just attacking constantly, the game is just another generic JRPG, etc. 
 I'm still going to be giving this game a chance since it has yet to hit the U.S. (and i really like the FF series), but with these disappointments i see hope in VersusXIII. 

I really hope that Square-Enix are putting most, if not all, of their "A" team on this project now that XIII is released. I am now thinking to myself that this will be the true FFXIII that the fans and players would want. 

Sure we dont know much about VersusXIII right now, but from the few trailers that were released it looks really beautiful. The latest trailer that i have seen was the one that came with FFVII:Advent Children Complete, and maybe the last bit of the trailer was gameplay, maybe it was pre-rendered, all i know is that it left me wanting. From what i've heard regarding the battle system, it is something like Kingdom Hearts. That is only what i heard, only Square-Enix knows truly what the battle system is like.

Of course like everyone else, im still waiting for more info on this game. but from what little i know, i am hopeful.

#2 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Final Fantasy fans don't like Final Fantasy. This is what i've figured out from years of playing Final Fantasy... every Final Fantasy that comes out they complain about how it isn't EXACTLY like FF9 or FF8, yet they still play every other Final Fantasy multiple times. They also ignore the good things about the game and call very minor "problems" gamebreaking when they are not.

This game is a great game, it's just the fact that they changed it from the usual FF formula, so FF fanboys everywhere are whining about it. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a great game. It's linear for the first little bit, then it opens up (like most FF games) the combat is simple at the beginning then gets more complex (Like all JRPGs). 

As I said, Final Fantasy fans seem to be the most whiny fanboys I've ever encountered, because if a game isn't the most perfect thing and it isn't exactly what they wanted it to be, with the exact systems in place that they wanted, they say the game is garbage. Regardless of how well made or actually good it is despite it's differences from other Final Fantasys.

So no Versus will not be considered better, because it will have a different combat system, so FF fanboys are GOING to complain about how much it sucks completely ignoring everything good about it.

#3 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

This is the internet, large groups of people openly hate popular things because it's cool... or something.

#4 Posted by bonbolapti (1617 posts) -

Maybe it's different enough for people to wish it was back to it's old formula.  Sometimes people are like that, I like my Final Fantasies divisible by six though. 

While we're on the Topic of XIII, I'm actually more excited for Agito XIII
#5 Posted by m1k3 (1333 posts) -
@CL60: Oh i agree with you 100%. Im still getting XIII and i know ill enjoy it since i love JRPGs. i really could care less if its really linear. i just hate seeing all these stories putting down XIII from multiple sites. I am also hoping that Versus XIII will be good also.
#6 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@m1k3 said:

"  I am reading up on a lot of Final Fantasy fans and players who are disappointed, and even disgusted with FFXIII. Most of the complaints im seeing is that it's too linear, the battle system is exploited by just attacking constantly, the game is just another generic JRPG, etc.

So it's basically like any other Final Fantasy game?

seriously, i love FF games (not all of them, but i have favourites), but that is seriously every single FF game right there, explained.

people set the bar too high for themselves by getting overly hyped for the game, atleast that's what i think. I don't know what they were expecting, but when i get a chance to play FFXIII, i'll atleast be fair about my excitement for the game.
#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12444 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
" This is the internet, large groups of people openly hate popular things because it's cool... or something. "
this. 
#8 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Final Fantasy fans don't like Final Fantasy. This is what i've figured out from years of playing Final Fantasy... every Final Fantasy that comes out they complain about how it isn't EXACTLY like FF9 or FF8, yet they still play every other Final Fantasy multiple times. They also ignore the good things about the game and call very minor "problems" gamebreaking when they are not. This game is a great game, it's just the fact that they changed it from the usual FF formula, so FF fanboys everywhere are whining about it. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a great game. It's linear for the first little bit, then it opens up (like most FF games) the combat is simple at the beginning then gets more complex (Like all JRPGs).   As I said, Final Fantasy fans seem to be the most whiny fanboys I've ever encountered, because if a game isn't the most perfect thing and it isn't exactly what they wanted it to be, with the exact systems in place that they wanted, they say the game is garbage. Regardless of how well made or actually good it is despite it's differences from other Final Fantasys.  So no Versus will not be considered better, because it will have a different combat system, so FF fanboys are GOING to complain about how much it sucks completely ignoring everything good about it. "
Awesome. Really well said. Renewed my hope for the game, as well.
#9 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@m1k3 said:
"the game is just another generic JRPG, etc."
This is what I'm kind of expecting. The battle time thing looks good an some of the characters are kind of interesting, but you're obviously gonna end up with a crew of magical warriors up against the imperial kingdom of blah blah with some kid who's like 8 and can summon the divine powers of the heavens or whatever from deep within because his ancient ancestors blah blah an veryone talks in shakespearian etc.
I liked 7. Make 14 more ghetto.
#10 Posted by Roundtree_X (59 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" @m1k3 said:
"the game is just another generic JRPG, etc."
This is what I'm kind of expecting. The battle time thing looks good an some of the characters are kind of interesting, but you're obviously gonna end up with a crew of magical warriors up against the imperial kingdom of blah blah with some kid who's like 8 and can summon the divine powers of the heavens or whatever from deep within because his ancient ancestors blah blah an veryone talks in shakespearian etc. I liked 7. Make 14 more ghetto. "

14 is Online....so 15 ghetto?
#11 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Usually the loudest people are the ones who don't like something.  The people who actually do like the something are probably doing (playing) that something and not actively writing hate about it on the internets. 

Here's my thoughts:  Being linear is fine with me.  I'm not even gewd at making decisions in RL, so I'm fine with going down a single path as long as the story is great.  To tell you the truth, I have problems playing games like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect, due to all that freedom :p  

The battle system on the other hand better be really difficult, rewarding, and engaging.  Here's hoping! 

#12 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

I am more excited for FFXVI myself.

Anyway, it's mostly the unpleasable fanbase syndrome bothering again. Star Wars fans hate the prequels. Indy fans hate Crystal Skull. Zelda fans hate the latest Zelda. Sonic fans hate the latest Sonic. And Final Fantasy fans hate the latest Final Fantasy.

#13 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

What?  You mean the JRPG formula changed?  *GASP!*  THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

Yea, between haters and JRPG fans that actually don't want innovation, that's where the hate comes from.  Keep your expectations open, certainly people like KaosAngel cannot ever be trusted.

#14 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

How can a Final Fantasy # game be "too linear"? All of them have 100% linear plots. Wrong genre if you want open ended or sandbox.

#15 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" How can a Final Fantasy # game be "too linear"? All of them have 100% linear plots. Wrong genre if you want open ended or sandbox. "
this.
also those who like it just don't say most of the time.
#16 Edited by Tebbit (4473 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

" I am more excited for FFXVI myself.  Anyway, it's mostly the unpleasable fanbase syndrome bothering again. Star Wars fans hate the prequels. Indy fans hate Crystal Skull. Zelda fans hate the latest Zelda. Sonic fans hate the latest Sonic. And Final Fantasy fans hate the latest Final Fantasy. "

Two of the Star Wars prequels were terrible. The last 93 Sonic games have been blasphemous. The others I can't speak for because being a fan of all the things you mentioned, I liked the latest Indy and Zelda (and quietly, Star Wars Episode 3). 
Those fans have a right to be upset :p

I wait with baited breath, but a 39/40 from Famitsu is enough for me to say that those people complaining are idiots. Now I didn't like Final Fantasy XII, but I could appreciate how it was technically a good game. XIII looks to me like a return to form.
#17 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" How can a Final Fantasy # game be "too linear"? All of them have 100% linear plots. Wrong genre if you want open ended or sandbox. "
another noob...
what ff13 and ff10 lacked was a worldmap to run around in, and it also had big cities and plenty of people to chat with, this doesnt, this is just a straight road.
even if FF7 and FF8 for ex had squares for each section to explore, atleast that created an illusion and was OPEN, running in a straight road ISNT.
#18 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@quezen said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

another noob... what ff13 and ff10 lacked was a worldmap to run around in, and it also had big cities and plenty of people to chat with, this doesnt, this is just a straight road. even if FF7 and FF8 for ex had squares for each section to explore, atleast that created an illusion and was OPEN, running in a straight road ISNT. "
FF7 and 8 weren't open. Having a world map doesn't make them open when you still have to go to a set number of places in a particular order to progress and when the side things you can do are so few (and there are likely side activities to do in these so called too linear games also). Citing FF7 and 8 alone hints at you being the noob who probably thinks FF7, despite even the 7, started the JRPG genre as a whole or something. What you call the illusion of open I call linear as everyone sees through the illusion. Again, you're looking at the wrong genre if you want open ended.
#19 Edited by xionpunk (366 posts) -

I think people get so nostalgic about games they played when they were 8 that it ruins other games.  You can't compete with something your 8 year old self really loved, it's automatically  better than everything else.  For this reason, Star Ocean 2 (I was 12 and it was the first rpg I ever played)  will always be the best rpg ever in my mind. 

A lot of people hated FFXII.  It was actually my first Final Fantasy and I loved every minute of it. The battle system and gambits were great imo.  I'm really excited about XIII and Versus, they can't get here fast enough.

#20 Edited by Matte (65 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:

" @quezen said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

another noob... what ff13 and ff10 lacked was a worldmap to run around in, and it also had big cities and plenty of people to chat with, this doesnt, this is just a straight road. even if FF7 and FF8 for ex had squares for each section to explore, atleast that created an illusion and was OPEN, running in a straight road ISNT. "
FF7 and 8 weren't open. Having a world map doesn't make them open when you still have to go to a set number of places in a particular order to progress and when the side things you can do are so few (and there are likely side activities to do in these so called too linear games also). Citing FF7 and 8 alone hints at you being the noob who probably thinks FF7, despite even the 7, started the JRPG genre as a whole or something. What you call the illusion of open I call linear as everyone sees through the illusion. Again, you're looking at the wrong genre if you want open ended. "
As most of these linear arguments tend to come from individual's ideas of what linear is.

I think that illusion is where this outrage stems from.  That there isn't any illusion...

@xionpunk:

My sentiments exactly, both about mentality and FF 12.  I loved FF 6, my third FF game, and even though it's unfair and biased I'll probably never like another FF as much as I did that one.  Because I'll never have that same mentality I did when I played it.
#21 Posted by amandackrueger (251 posts) -
@bonbolapti said:
"Maybe it's different enough for people to wish it was back to it's old formula.  Sometimes people are like that, I like my Final Fantasies divisible by six though.  While we're on the Topic of XIII, I'm actually more excited for Agito XIII "

Agreed. 6 and 12 are my faves...looking forward to 18 in about six years. 

In the meantime...I'll give 13 a whirl. Hope it was worth the wait.
#22 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@amandackrueger said:
" @bonbolapti said:
"Maybe it's different enough for people to wish it was back to it's old formula.  Sometimes people are like that, I like my Final Fantasies divisible by six though.  While we're on the Topic of XIII, I'm actually more excited for Agito XIII "
Agreed. 6 and 12 are my faves...looking forward to 18 in about six years.  In the meantime...I'll give 13 a whirl. Hope it was worth the wait. "
six years? I assume at least 20 years before we get to 18.
#23 Posted by amandackrueger (251 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
" @amandackrueger said:
" @bonbolapti said:
Agreed. 6 and 12 are my faves...looking forward to 18 in about six years.  In the meantime...I'll give 13 a whirl. Hope it was worth the wait. "
six years? I assume at least 20 years before we get to 18. "

Wishful thinking? 

Oh well. I will hope for the best....and for moogles.
#24 Posted by Gabriel (4071 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" I am more excited for FFXVI myself.  Anyway, it's mostly the unpleasable fanbase syndrome bothering again. Star Wars fans hate the prequels. Indy fans hate Crystal Skull. Zelda fans hate the latest Zelda. Sonic fans hate the latest Sonic. And Final Fantasy fans hate the latest Final Fantasy. "
Crystal Skull was pretty bad, like really bad, Star Wars episode I and II bad
#25 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@L33tfella_H said:

" @m1k3 said:

"  I am reading up on a lot of Final Fantasy fans and players who are disappointed, and even disgusted with FFXIII. Most of the complaints im seeing is that it's too linear, the battle system is exploited by just attacking constantly, the game is just another generic JRPG, etc.

So it's basically like any other Final Fantasy game?  seriously, i love FF games (not all of them, but i have favourites), but that is seriously every single FF game right there, explained.   people set the bar too high for themselves by getting overly hyped for the game, atleast that's what i think. I don't know what they were expecting, but when i get a chance to play FFXIII, i'll atleast be fair about my excitement for the game. "
12 didn't have any of those problems. Which is why they reverted back to, as you say, the classic style FF game. "Fans" were in an uproar that SE tried something different, and this was the response. And those same people who spit in the face of innovation are being complete apologists for this game now. How anyone could be surprised is baffling. Its no different than Twilight Princess.
#26 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @quezen said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

FF7 and 8 weren't open. Having a world map doesn't make them open when you still have to go to a set number of places in a particular order to progress and when the side things you can do are so few (and there are likely side activities to do in these so called too linear games also). Citing FF7 and 8 alone hints at you being the noob who probably thinks FF7, despite even the 7, started the JRPG genre as a whole or something. What you call the illusion of open I call linear as everyone sees through the illusion. Again, you're looking at the wrong genre if you want open ended. "
FF7 and FF8 doesnt have linear gameplay plenty of diffrent of places to go in ares,while in ff13 just a road, even after the timber mission in ff8 you could visit other towns and explore. 
Stop defending ff13 , oh nvm, mayby your emo.
#27 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -
@quezen said:
"FF7 and FF8 doesnt have linear gameplay plenty of diffrent of places to go in ares,while in ff13 just a road, even after the timber mission in ff8 you could visit other towns and explore.  Stop defending ff13 , oh nvm, mayby your emo. "

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (19025 posts) -

I will still check it out on 360 when it comes out in the US.

#29 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @L33tfella_H said:

" @m1k3 said:

So it's basically like any other Final Fantasy game?  seriously, i love FF games (not all of them, but i have favourites), but that is seriously every single FF game right there, explained.   people set the bar too high for themselves by getting overly hyped for the game, atleast that's what i think. I don't know what they were expecting, but when i get a chance to play FFXIII, i'll atleast be fair about my excitement for the game. "
12 didn't have any of those problems. Which is why they reverted back to, as you say, the classic style FF game. "Fans" were in an uproar that SE tried something different, and this was the response. And those same people who spit in the face of innovation are being complete apologists for this game now. How anyone could be surprised is baffling. Its no different than Twilight Princess. "
12 is quite different, i agree, but maybe it's just me, but i actually got bored of 12 around 30 hours in. You do make a point though, it was a game which many fans 'hate' simply cause it completely changed the way the game played.
#30 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@quezen said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

Erm...FF13 does have a world map that you can run around in...you can ride chocobos and stuff in it. It is also by far the largest place in any FF game.
#31 Edited by quezen (138 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @quezen said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

Erm...FF13 does have a world map that you can run around in...you can ride chocobos and stuff in it. It is also by far the largest place in any FF game. "
couldnt give a shit, you could argue that Mass Effect has the biggest SP-RPG world. Based on the uncharted planets.
FF13 has (for the first 10 hours) just a straight fucking road.
Its disgusting. And even a fan like myself who played FF3-12 can't accept it anymore, other jrpg's gets trashed for it, and the company with the biggest budget shouldnt have to be so cheap to just fall to a straight road with mobs for 10 hours (or even more). what did FF7 have at 5 hours? leaving the town shinra to find yourself out in a worldmapd and heading for a new town (kalmar) this fucking game have you running for 10 hours in mob areas in a STRAIGHT ROAD.
#32 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I don't know about Final Fantasy fans, but I think the battle stuff in 12 was great and the characters and plot sucked. I especially liked that fat board you had to splash around in. I had one character that could equip like every fucking dagger and helmet in the game, but never did- I just did that to find more stuff.
Hated the characters and setting, cos of all those other points I was talkin about before.

#33 Posted by quezen (138 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" I don't know about Final Fantasy fans, but I think the battle stuff in 12 was great and the characters and plot sucked. I especially liked that fat board you had to splash around in. I had one character that could equip like every fucking dagger and helmet in the game, but never did- I just did that to find more stuff. Hated the characters and setting, cos of all those other points I was talkin about before. "
many disliked FF12, I didnt, sure it wasn as great as I hoped (the characters ...) for but as a jrpg? it was solid with awesome production value. 9/10 imo.
#34 Posted by MildMolasses (3225 posts) -

I love that an argument started because one person misunderstanding another person's use of the word "linear." Good stuff. It becomes a little more like Gametrailers everyday on the forums. 

To continue with that trend, and to stay on topic, just like every other spin off/series tie-in, I'm sure Versus will be shitty, but for entirely new and exciting reasons than SE has shown us before
#35 Posted by demonbear (1860 posts) -

Huge spoilers, FF13 will be a generic jrpg with a linear story, who knew???

Please.

#36 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" @Willy105 said:
Crystal Skull was pretty bad, like really bad, Star Wars episode I and II bad "
Whatever. I had the same experience from both the original trilogy and it's modern counterparts because I didn't have nostalgia for any of them. I say Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a great movie, and better than The Last Crusade. Episode 1 and 2 were boring, but not bad movies. They are pretty awesome the first time you see them, it's in the re-watches that you notice how slow-paced they are.
#37 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

1.  It's Final Fantasy. 
2.  It's a JRPG. 
3.  This is the internet. 

Those three points alone can equate to a majority of the hatred towards FFXIII.  Personally, I could give a shit less for the game, just because it looked boring and terrible from what I saw of it.  However, 39/40 from Famitsu is a good score regardless.  I just think it's been too long since people have seen a new FF# game and they forgot what they were like...or maybe people are finally realizing that Matsuno-san's grand masterpiece with FFXII was truly godly and they can't get past that.

#38 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
"This is the internet, large groups of people openly hate popular things because it's cool... or something. "

This guy is right, hell we haven't even played the game yet and people are already starting to hate it. Hell 75% of them probably just hate it because it's multi-platform now. Face it ever since it was announced for the 360 fanboys have been looking for reasons to hate it.
#39 Posted by Southgrove (323 posts) -

I have yet to play a bad FF game. They all have their pros and cons, sure, but the pros allways completely overweigh the cons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.