Hey Guys, Versus XIII isn't dead.

  • 95 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Aegon (5403 posts) -
Nomura was a bit more open with Final Fantasy Versus XIII details, saying the following:
  • The next time we see Versus XIII, we will get a look at it being controlled on actual hardware.

Source

I never thought it was dead. The team is just taking its time, but I've seen a lot of comments of people convinced that it's never going to come out.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

At this point... I'll care once they actually hammer out a release window.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Wait, what? Isn't it a bit late in this console generation for a game this big to happen?

#4 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

actual hardware!? not fantasy hardware?

#5 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, what? Isn't it a bit late in this console generation for a game this big to happen?

I'm pretty sure that God of War 2 happened on the PS2 after the release of the PS3, so a thing like this isn't unheard of.

#6 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

Good. I am beyond excited for this game!

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, what? Isn't it a bit late in this console generation for a game this big to happen?

I'm pretty sure that God of War 2 happened on the PS2 after the release of the PS3, so a thing like this isn't unheard of.

IT DID!?

#8 Posted by Zella (703 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Brendan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, what? Isn't it a bit late in this console generation for a game this big to happen?

I'm pretty sure that God of War 2 happened on the PS2 after the release of the PS3, so a thing like this isn't unheard of.

IT DID!?

Yeah around 6 months later

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@Animasta said:

actual hardware!? not fantasy hardware?

I think he means a production console rather than a dev kit.

#10 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

@Zella said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Brendan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, what? Isn't it a bit late in this console generation for a game this big to happen?

I'm pretty sure that God of War 2 happened on the PS2 after the release of the PS3, so a thing like this isn't unheard of.

IT DID!?

Yeah around 6 months later

I thought it was kind of weird at the time.

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

actual hardware!? not fantasy hardware?

I think he means a production console rather than a dev kit.

Stop making things less magical, George Lucas (that's right it's an insult now).

#11 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Just give me a trailer! That's all I need! Possibly at E3 this year.

#12 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

You're right it's not dead....but it's still a meh

#13 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Honestly this is the first Final Fantasy game in a good while that I am personally interested to see a lot of, so it's great that this project isn't dead. I hope the game releases (and that it turns out to be really good of course).

#14 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician: Same here.

I haven't been this excited for a new Final Fantasy game since FFIX. Though I wish they would give Versus a new title. :/

#15 Posted by Aegon (5403 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:

Just give me a trailer! That's all I need! Possibly at E3 this year.

  
  It shows off a lot of stuff. I'm not sure if there's a point in releasing another trailer unless it's for updated and cinematic stuff. We just need a demo now. 
#16 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

Why don't they just call it Final Fantasy XV at this point?

#17 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

I don't want to let myself get excited about this, because I'm still very skeptical about whether or not it's actually going to come out.

Shame, because it looks so much more interesting than XIII.

#18 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

They should totally just call it 15. They already relabeled the other 13 spin off, so hey, why not?

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I was just thinking about this game the other day. I hope that I like this a lot more than XIII.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

@CommodoreGroovy said:

Why don't they just call it Final Fantasy XV at this point?

Because it has ties to the world from XIII. Some speculate that it takes place way into the future after the events of XIII (and now XIII-2) because they mention the same religions and stuff, which are more prominent in XIII-2

#21 Posted by OppressiveStink (355 posts) -

Tetsuya Nomura is the biggest blight to ever infest the japanese gaming landscape. One can place a good amount of the stagnation from the trends he started in Kingdom Hearts. What an absolutely atrocious designer.

#22 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I agree they should call it Final Fantasy XV. It doesn't appear to have any thing whatsoever to do with FFXIII, and it looks like a far, far better and more interesting game.

#23 Edited by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Well good to know that actually seeing this game is in the cards, at some point.

Last I heard of Versus, Nomura was talking about them using another engine, Luminous, on the lighting. Like, I'm not a programmer or anything, but what's wrong with Crystal Tools, man? Wasn't that engine the reason FFXIII took forever to make?

#24 Posted by Zabant (1235 posts) -

@OppressiveStink said:

Tetsuya Nomura is the biggest blight to ever infest the japanese gaming landscape. One can place a good amount of the stagnation from the trends he started in Kingdom Hearts. What an absolutely atrocious designer.

He also created cloud and sephiroth, two of the biggest game characters known.

#25 Edited by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

This is still a PS3-only game, right?

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Vexxan: Officially? Yes. Although there have been rumblings about multiplatform release.

#27 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

What abpot Final Fantasy XIII-2 Versus?!

#28 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Man it just hit me how slow these guys are; XIII and XIII-Versus were announced when the PS3 was up and coming, and only one's been out, and it was horrible. Plenty studios around have released more, and better games in less time then Square Enix.... what happened to you guys?

#29 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@Zero_ said:

Man it just hit me how slow these guys are; XIII and XIII-Versus were announced when the PS3 was up and coming, and only one's been out, and it was horrible. Plenty studios around have released more, and better games in less time then Square Enix.... what happened to you guys?

You just don't realize how much detail goes into these games...

Nothing in any game this gen could touch the amount of work and craftsmanship they poured into Final Fantasy...

I really have no fucking clue man...
#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Vexxan said:

This is still a PS3-only game, right?

Not for long, Square need to make money badly and it just makes no sense on any level to keep the game exclusive, just because some fanboy is threatening to quit his job if they port it. Frankly, he's a bad designer and they should let him go. The series needs to see some new talent.

#31 Edited by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@CommodoreGroovy said:

Why don't they just call it Final Fantasy XV at this point?

Because it has ties to the world from XIII. Some speculate that it takes place way into the future after the events of XIII (and now XIII-2) because they mention the same religions and stuff, which are more prominent in XIII-2

I can get that they're related and connected together by the same world, but isn't there other games in the Final Fantasy series that took place in the same world? Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII share the same world, but they don't call XII, Final Fantasy Tactics Versus or Final Fantasy Tactics XII. By the time Final Fantasy XIII Versus is released, it may alienate consumers since there are so many titles out on the market with similar names. I mean what's the harm of just naming it FFXV anyway?

#32 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Zero_ said:

Man it just hit me how slow these guys are; XIII and XIII-Versus were announced when the PS3 was up and coming, and only one's been out, and it was horrible. Plenty studios around have released more, and better games in less time then Square Enix.... what happened to you guys?

For Versus specifically, they spent the first few years making the engine from near scratch and then after that said they were helping finish up 13. They didn't really actually start putting vs13 together outside of ideas until probably a year or 2 ago.
#33 Edited by BoG (5181 posts) -

@OppressiveStink said:

Tetsuya Nomura is the biggest blight to ever infest the japanese gaming landscape. One can place a good amount of the stagnation from the trends he started in Kingdom Hearts. What an absolutely atrocious designer.

This guy didn't play The World Ends With You, which was remarkable. I mean, the characters' wardrobe made me vomit, but the game was great.

I should probably talk about FFV-XII. I'll probably buy it if it doesn't suck. I'm mostly looking forward to the inevitable XVth game. I'll play every main-seies non-mmo Final Fantasy game from start to finish until I'm 100.

#34 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

It's also not the traditional Final Fantasy style, but then again, neither was XIII. They're focusing way too much on weird side projects instead of actually releasing Final Fantasies. I think it's caused them to lose touch a bit...

#35 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

@Zero_ said:

Man it just hit me how slow these guys are; XIII and XIII-Versus were announced when the PS3 was up and coming, and only one's been out, and it was horrible. Plenty studios around have released more, and better games in less time then Square Enix.... what happened to you guys?

Can I note that 13 isn't considered horrible, just really divisive.

#36 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I think calling it XV would be a good move even if it does take place in XIII's world.

#37 Posted by TheHT (10888 posts) -

I wish I never bothered getting FF13 and just waited and waited until Versus came out. Ah well.

Online
#38 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

@H2Oyea said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

Just give me a trailer! That's all I need! Possibly at E3 this year.

It shows off a lot of stuff. I'm not sure if there's a point in releasing another trailer unless it's for updated and cinematic stuff. We just need a demo now.

That's so last year. I need a newer one!

#39 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

After I saw some of that "gameplay" footage my excitement went down a little.  I was really hyped when I saw that amazing looking trailer but I guess its just a trailer....

#40 Posted by Aegon (5403 posts) -
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
After I saw some of that "gameplay" footage my excitement went down a little.  I was really hyped when I saw that amazing looking trailer but I guess its just a trailer....
What were you expecting the gameplay to look like? Did you think it would be like GoW or Ninja Gaiden? Or did you think it would be more traditional FF?
#41 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@H2Oyea: I dont know what I was expecting...  I think my expectations were way too high after that great looking trailer where the main character's running on walls and switching through weapons.  As dumb as it sounds, I wanted to play that
#42 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
After I saw some of that "gameplay" footage my excitement went down a little.  I was really hyped when I saw that amazing looking trailer but I guess its just a trailer....
I believe Nomura said at some point the gameplay in the video was slowed down from what will appear in the final form of the game, so the combat anyway will be much faster paced.
#43 Posted by falconpunch (177 posts) -

Does this have anything to do with FF13's story? I didn't play it and i want to pick versus up.

#44 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@Zenaxzd said:
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
After I saw some of that "gameplay" footage my excitement went down a little.  I was really hyped when I saw that amazing looking trailer but I guess its just a trailer....
I believe Nomura said at some point the gameplay in the video was slowed down from what will appear in the final form of the game, so the combat anyway will be much faster paced.
Oh actually?  Hmmmmmm...  I think my hype levels are going up again.  Yeah maybe thats what it was, I think I had a problem with the pace
#45 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@falconpunch said:

Does this have anything to do with FF13's story? I didn't play it and i want to pick versus up.

At one point it, Agito (Type-0), and 13 were all supposed to have something to do with each other. Taking place in the same universe or something. I believe most of that has long since abandoned (I think Type-0 might have Fal'cie and stuff though? I can't recall). At the very least if anything is carried over from 13 it will be general themes as the worlds and characters are clearly far apart from one another. 
 
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
@Zenaxzd said:
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
After I saw some of that "gameplay" footage my excitement went down a little.  I was really hyped when I saw that amazing looking trailer but I guess its just a trailer....
I believe Nomura said at some point the gameplay in the video was slowed down from what will appear in the final form of the game, so the combat anyway will be much faster paced.
Oh actually?  Hmmmmmm...  I think my hype levels are going up again.  Yeah maybe thats what it was, I think I had a problem with the pace
Yeah, I mean either way we will probably see more this year to get a better idea of it. That said I don't know if you played BBS but if they infuse a little of that magic into versus 13 (which I am sure there will be plenty of similarities) we are going to be in for one amazing game. Something else we don't see in the video is some weird pole swinging melee combo nonsense that apparently originated in versus 13 and they are putting into KH3D, so that's a thing I guess.
#46 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

I hope they announce a 360 release when they show it off!

Either way, still looking forward to playing this game. It almost has a Duke-Nukem-Forever vibe for me at this point.

#47 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

Love everything Nomura does. If he's taking this long to put it out, I'm expecting an amazing game.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@Zenaxzd said:

@falconpunch said:

Does this have anything to do with FF13's story? I didn't play it and i want to pick versus up.

At one point it, Agito (Type-0), and 13 were all supposed to have something to do with each other. Taking place in the same universe or something. I believe most of that has long since abandoned (I think Type-0 might have Fal'cie and stuff though? I can't recall). At the very least if anything is carried over from 13 it will be general themes as the worlds and characters are clearly far apart from one another.

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
@Zenaxzd said:
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
After I saw some of that "gameplay" footage my excitement went down a little. I was really hyped when I saw that amazing looking trailer but I guess its just a trailer....
I believe Nomura said at some point the gameplay in the video was slowed down from what will appear in the final form of the game, so the combat anyway will be much faster paced.
Oh actually? Hmmmmmm... I think my hype levels are going up again. Yeah maybe thats what it was, I think I had a problem with the pace
Yeah, I mean either way we will probably see more this year to get a better idea of it. That said I don't know if you played BBS but if they infuse a little of that magic into versus 13 (which I am sure there will be plenty of similarities) we are going to be in for one amazing game. Something else we don't see in the video is some weird pole swinging melee combo nonsense that apparently originated in versus 13 and they are putting into KH3D, so that's a thing I guess.

When Type-0 was still Agito, it was set in the same world, so it had to do with Cocoon, Pulse, fal'Cie, and all of that, though I'm not sure how directly connected it was supposed to be to XIII. When they made the change to Type-0, they severed the connection to Final Fantasy XIII's universe entirely. It is no longer related to XIII or Versus in any way.

#49 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I wish it actually was the final fantasy. At this point is doesn't seem that Square will make the right changes to make me care about this series. Eh whatever, guess people will accept it no matter what.

#50 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

@Phatmac: The Versus games looks more like Kingdom Hearts than a proper Final Fantasy game tbh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.