Rumor: Versus XII Canceled.

• 69 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5419 posts) -

From Kotaku:

Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Is Dead
Kotaku has heard from several sources that the game, as originally intended, is done for.
One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.
Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.
Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII's development and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

Aegon's Notes: Fuck you Kotaku...PLEASE NO!

UPDATE: Behold...

said:

According to Yoichi Wada's Twitter account, Versus XIII is not cancelled.
Via NeoGAF:
Yeah, this was all but a simple rumor: http://andriasang.com/con20p/ff_versusxiii_cancel/
Pretty much confirmed from what he said on Twitter just now. He laughed about the rumor and then went on to say they finished a regular meeting on the game, saw some towns presentation and whatnot.
#2 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -

Well the original game was released like 7 years ago.

#3 Edited by Aegon (5419 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

Well the original game was released like 7 years ago.

Fuck. That's a lot of I's

#4 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I kinda hope it's true. I'd be much more interested in a numbered title.

Hopefully they're finished with spin-offs and the like.

#5 Posted by Sterling (2085 posts) -

Sad Panda.

#6 Posted by Cybexx (1155 posts) -

This makes sense, considering how little of this game has been shown and how close we are to the next console generation. I always heard that Versus XIII was blocking Kingdom Hearts 3, but this dev team is supposedly being rolled into FFXV so I wonder what is going to happen now with that. I would assume KH3 would end up as a next-gen release mid-way through the generation (assuming no one is working on it now).

#7 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

What if in the end Versus XIII has just been renamed XV? You know, just like that rumor we heard a little over a month ago. I'd laugh.

#8 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

I can totally seeing that happening since we hardly saw anything on the game since it's announcement back in 08-09.

#9 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Didn't this game kind of look badass? If so than what a shame. Though I would like another Kingdom Hearts sometime.

#10 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

If this means they can start work on Kingdom Hearts 3 then I'm happy.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -
@mandude

Supposedly, one more game (or maybe just FFXIII-2 DLC) is being made to conclude Lightning's story, but that'll be it as far as FFXIII is concerned.
#12 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@mandude

Supposedly, one more game (or maybe just FFXIII-2 DLC) is being made to conclude Lightning's story, but that'll be it as far as FFXIII is concerned.

That's disappointing. As good as the game may be, I don't want to play through another addendum. The numbered titles have always had a much stronger impact than their extracurricular stuff.

#13 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I wish they would have cancelled Duke Nukem Forever

#14 Posted by abara (225 posts) -

Last Guardian is next. You know it 2 b true

#15 Posted by Aegon (5419 posts) -

@abara said:

Last Guardian is next. You know it 2 b true

If that's true then how can Team Ico justify their existence in Sony's eyes.

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

Its Kotaku dude. If I had a nickel for every time I got disappointed because of a rumor they posted that wasn't true I'd have enough for lunch. Game Informer recently ran an article about the history of versus 13. They very recently made a comment that it was still coming out to them.

#17 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

I wish they would have cancelled Duke Nukem Forever

But what if it was awesome?

#18 Posted by Fattony12000 (7093 posts) -

Rumor: Versus XII Canceled.

?

#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I like Kingdom Hearts and all (mostly the gameplay) but I would much rather have Versus XIII hell they showed a trailer with some gameplay like 2 years ago why would they scrap that I thought it looks pretty awesome , big open world (even if it wasn't that open) and set in a "realistic" tokio-like city is way more exciting than an HD Kingdom Hearts.

#20 Posted by EXTomar (4518 posts) -

I'd rather see a game canceled or shelved instead of released poorly done. Personally I would love to see all of the resources put towards adding to FF13-2 endings.

#21 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

resources to ffxv? What? Was there a xiv already and i totally missed it? Serious question

#22 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

XIII-versus is dead but is now XV

#23 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

or XIII versus was actually FFVII in disguise and will be XV

#24 Posted by Dixego (383 posts) -

@LeYcH said:

If this means they can start work on Kingdom Hearts 3 then I'm happy.

All of my this.

#25 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -
@phrali: Yeah, it was a MMO and it was a complete and total shit show that was almost universally despised.
#26 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

If true, that's a bummer. But, if it means something better can come out of this, maybe it's what needs to happen.

#27 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1358 posts) -

well that is a shame......i always thought Versus looked more interesting than 13, hopefully they just make it into the next main series... perhaps with a more traditional battle system

#28 Posted by Clairabel (160 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

@phrali: Yeah, it was a MMO and it was a complete and total shit show that was almost universally despised.

Although it's been completely redone and is going to be rereleased by the looks of it. It would be awesome to have a fully-fledged FF MMO.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

man what I wouldn't give for versus XII

#30 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

It's unfortunate because this game looked and sounded awesome to me, but I laughed when this rumor broke because just of course.

Square continues to be mostly a joke.

#31 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

Back when the gameplay trailer was shown it looked like the KH style of fighting so I was pretty excited. Hopefully the game isn't completely cancelled and simply being remade into FF15.

#32 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

This doesn't make sense. Based on the latest Game Informer, Square-Enix mentioned they were about halfway done with the game and continuing forward. Not only that there's still a lot of hype for Versus XIII since it actually looks more bad-ass than Final Fantasy XIII itself.

#33 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

Last I heard they're renovating it into FF XV, which suits it better.

#34 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

Hoping if it is true, it just means Versus XIII will just be renamed Final Fantasy XV.

Otherwise, fuck all this shit. Versus XIII is the one Final Fantasy game I was looking forward too since... well since IX... 12 years ago. We got two fucking XIIIs instead of this.

#35 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

"within the last few weeks" 

It wouldn't be economically feasible to just carry on the last few weeks to finish it, and get some sales? Did they think it was going to get less than 100,000 sales or something? Wasn't FFXIII fairly popular?

#36 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

@Anwar said:

@Aegon said:

From Kotaku:

Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Is Dead
Kotaku has heard from several sources that the game, as originally intended, is done for.
One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.
Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.
Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII's development and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

Aegon's Notes: Fuck you Kotaku...PLEASE NO!

There is conflicting information out there.

http://thesilentchief.com/2012/07/20/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-canceled-not-so-fast/

Yeah, it's important to note that this cancellation is a rumor. More to the point, it's a rumor being spread by Kotaku, which is not exactly known for high journalistic standards.

#37 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

@phrali said:

resources to ffxv? What? Was there a xiv already and i totally missed it? Serious question

It came out only a few months after XIII. It's an MMORPG, and was pretty terrible. I own it, and it's really a step backward. There working to quickly bring it up to par, but it's going to be a while.

#38 Posted by aurahack (2265 posts) -

TIL that people still give a shit about the XIII universe.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

@aurahack said:

TIL that people still give a shit about the XIII universe.

I do, so whatever.

@BoG said:

@phrali said:

It came out only a few months after XIII. It's an MMORPG, and was pretty terrible. I own it, and it's really a step backward. There working to quickly bring it up to par, but it's going to be a while.

FFXIV 2.0 is, last I heard, supposed to enter the final beta phase later this year in preparation for the relaunch. Assuming Square Enix still plans to go ahead with the PS3 version (which was announced as an exclusive at the same E3 it was revealed that FFXIII was headed to the 360), we should be hearing more about that version in the near future, as well.

#40 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

@Clairabel said:

Although it's been completely redone and is going to be rereleased by the looks of it. It would be awesome to have a fully-fledged FF MMO.

You can still play FFXI, it is not only alive and well (and a fantastic MMO) but getting a new expansion soon.

#41 Posted by Clairabel (160 posts) -

@Addfwyn: I had problems with FFXI which is a shame because I really liked the look of it.

#42 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

It would seem that this game has been swept away for good... which is a shame :(

#43 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

@minotaka said:

It would seem that this game has been swept away for good... which is a shame :(

Not necessarily. There are conflicting reports suggesting that Kotaku's rumor is bogus. We should find out the truth during Square Enix's Final Fantasy presentations at the end of August.

#44 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
#45 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

This is what happens when people act like Kotaku is a legit news source.

#46 Edited by Aegon (5419 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

According to Yoichi Wada's Twitter account, Versus XIII is not cancelled.

Via NeoGAF:

Pretty much confirmed from what he said on Twitter just now. He laughed about the rumor and then went on to say they finished a regular meeting on the game, saw some towns presentation and whatnot.

Yeah, this was all but a simple rumor: http://andriasang.com/con20p/ff_versusxiii_cancel/

This is what I could get from google translate:

Seems that guy is playing a hoax Versus What has been canceled. Toko the end of the regular meeting Versus right now .. giggle. If you look back ~ w De~e Nanzo skip town has been presented today

In any case, WOOOHOOO!

To all the versus XIII haters out there:

Oh and a big fuck you to Kotaku.

#47 Posted by ajamafalous (11869 posts) -

Glad I read to the end of the thread. After seeing those first two cinematic trailers XIII Versus became the first FF game I've been interested in like ten years.

#48 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3058 posts) -

Maybe we'll get a new Chrono sequel since Chrono Cross. A return of Bobo, Barle, and Brog?

#49 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Damn. I wanted FFXV. :(

#50 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

@Aegon said:

Oh and a big fuck you to Kotaku.

Pretty much. Kotaku is worthless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.