...so Versus XIII Still Exclusive Then

#1 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

So after that Squeenix briefer, we got a couple more games and the confirmation that Versus XIII will be only for PS3.  I guess all that talk Nomura did about not wanting to make it for Xbox 360 wasn't a lie after all.  It looks not not even that ass fucker Wada could force Nomura to change his mind.  

Is Nomura doing a good thing by not making a 360 version?   Kojima did the same thing for MGS4 and it didn't kill his sales, MGS4 is still one of the few PS3 games that sold over 5 million units...and this was back in 2008. 

But hey, as this is Nomura's dream project, can we really complain that not even corporate can fuck with it?  It's Nomura's game, and it looks like he really is taking full control of this.  

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

On the one hand, as a PS3 fanboy, exclusives make me happy, regardless of how little interest I have in it, but on the other hand, I really hope this doesn't turn into a console war debate, cause I'm pretty tired of those (because clearly the PS3 is better). 

In all seriousness though, it is good to see someone like Nomura getting his way, instead of having there be a rushed port to another system that isn't as good as the other version (like with regular XIII).

#3 Posted by Addfwyn (1947 posts) -

Well, it makes sense enough.  The 360 is practically dead in the water in Japan, so any kind of port for games they'd make would be primarily for a western audience.  Maybe numbers on FFXIII for the 360 weren't good enough for them to consider it worthwhile.   

Especially as the PS3 has much higher saturation now than it did when MGS4 came out, I don't see this really negatively impacting sales to any big degree.  I know a lot of the folks who bought FFXIII on the 360 still had a PS3 already (they wanted achievements) so it won't really affect those people either.  

#4 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

As long as its exclusive fanbots can't blame its failings on making a 360 version.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

dude, I heard Versus was going to be on two discs on the PS3. No way could there be Versus for the 360 if that's the case

#6 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

At least when we realise it's also shit, the onus is especially on the PS3 version, and it's not just "An inferior version of the PS3 version hur"

#7 Edited by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Current events tell me that after 2011 even PS3 users wont give a fuck about Final Fantasy.  
Of course, there is the small possibility of it being good and Microsoft not having it, but...

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" As long as its exclusive fanbots can't blame its failings on making a 360 version. "
On the flip side, if it is good, the same people will feel they're justified in blaming XIII's failings on the 360.  

Personally, I don't get the feeling the game is remaining exclusive to uphold any kind of quality, but rather just because Nomura doesn't like the Xbox.  Versus looks like the type of game that would appeal to most 360 owners far more than XIII did and I think he's doing a great diservice to the fanbase by being selfish and just a typical fanboy.  (for the record, I own XIII for the PS3 and will continue the series on that platform, if I do feel any of these new games are worth buying).  Giving 360 owners a vastly inferior port of a bad game and then with holding the title that actually looks good, is just stupid and can only possibly result in the fanbase being pissed off.
#9 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

The nice thing about Final Fantasy 13 being multi-platform was when it came out and wasn't "all that" people felt free to discuss it's shortcomings. Final Fantasy Versus 13 being exclusive means everyone's gonna pretend it's a no question 10/10 or 0/10 in defense of their precious "Exclusives" library. 

Flimsy arguments with be made, fanboys will be called, and I will personally kill a baby Chocobo everytime someone says "Nomura-san".

#10 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @ryanwho said:
" As long as its exclusive fanbots can't blame its failings on making a 360 version. "
On the flip side, if it is good, the same people will feel they're justified in blaming XIII's failings on the 360.  

Personally, I don't get the feeling the game is remaining exclusive to uphold any kind of quality, but rather just because Nomura doesn't like the Xbox.  Versus looks like the type of game that would appeal to most 360 owners far more than XIII did and I think he's doing a great diservice to the fanbase by being selfish and just a typical fanboy.  (for the record, I own XIII for the PS3 and will continue the series on that platform, if I do feel any of these new games are worth buying).  Giving 360 owners a vastly inferior port of a bad game and then with holding the title that actually looks good, is just stupid and can only possibly result in the fanbase being pissed off. "

Yeah but it's hard to feel sorry, like you should have known what you were getting into if you bought an xbox and xbox only.  

FFXIII was exclusive at one point as well.
#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx: That's hardly the point..  This is sort of a bad example, as Mass Effect 2 is actually a good game.  But now that it's out on the PS3, imagine if EA announced that ME3 was still going to be exclusive to the 360 or if GTA5 was going to revert back to being PS3 exclusive?  After building up a fanbase on a new system, it seems ridiculous to hold back new titles for them, especially when there's already such a huge divide between Playstation FF fans and 360 ones.  Why should 360 owners, who received a bad port of a poor game and are now being told they can't have the good one that's coming out.. care about XIII-2? 

It's bad for the fanbase and it's bad for Square over all.  If Nomura would quit if the higher ups forced the decision.. let him go, he's a talentless hack anyway.
#12 Edited by LordCmdrStryker (345 posts) -

In light of Square-Enix's sub-basement-level earnings report last quarter, isn't making any of their games exclusive a really stupid idea?  Seeing that, plus their 37 games based in the FFXIII universe, I'm starting to get the idea that Squeenix has freakin' lost their crap. 

Ah, I long for the days when Square didn't only develop games that had "Final" in the title.

#13 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

...the good one that's coming out...

Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet.
#14 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @xaLieNxGrEyx: That's hardly the point..  This is sort of a bad example, as Mass Effect 2 is actually a good game.  But now that it's out on the PS3, imagine if EA announced that ME3 was still going to be exclusive to the 360 or if GTA5 was going to revert back to being PS3 exclusive?  After building up a fanbase on a new system, it seems ridiculous to hold back new titles for them, especially when there's already such a huge divide between Playstation FF fans and 360 ones.  Why should 360 owners, who received a bad port of a poor game and are now being told they can't have the good one that's coming out.. care about XIII-2?  It's bad for the fanbase and it's bad for Square over all.  If Nomura would quit if the higher ups forced the decision.. let him go, he's a talentless hack anyway. "

True, however I still feel the majority of xbox owners that don't own a ps3 could really care less about FF or japanese games in general. I know I held off buying a 360 until last year for the very reason I wanted to play MGS4 and FF.  

You could say the same about COD, and how the whole MW2 being unplayable on ps3, and how they might shut down the black ops servers for however long to prevent hacking on the game as well.  

Things just obviously belong where they belong. I couldn't imagine playing Gears on ps3 the same way I couldn't imagine playing FF on xbox. Look at NIER sales, obviously the xbox version was shunned, why try to push games on a console that the majority of the fanbase just want to play COD?  

I'm not saying all xbox owners want only that, I'm just saying they knew/should have known that they were getting Halo and other badass american action games. There's some 360 exclusives I would love to play on PS3, but they have their home on the 360 and don't need to come over. Final Fantasy is the same, I feel it just hurts the overall quality of the product forcing itself to be the 360 action game americans want. Just be yourself, not everyone's going to love you but at least you're not lying.  

God I miss Final Fantasy IX....
#15 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Nomura is just a ridiculous Japanese fanboy wanting to keep the series "pure" by releasing it on a system developed in his home country. Think of Todd Howard thinking like that about the PS3 - it's unnecessary, uncalled for and there is justification for it. In fact there already has been someone like that over here - Gabe Newell - but at least he came to his senses. 

But in all honesty if they switched over to multiplatform this late into Versus XIII's development it would end up being chopped up like XIII was. I'd much rather it stay as a PS3 exclusive, or at the most release a 360 version later on. 

I could care less about Nomura as a person and his previous games, but Versus does intrigue me. I really like how it looks so modern and regular.

#16 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Good thing I own a PS3.

#17 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

''Nomura's Dream Project'' is rising fast to becoming one of the most annoying statements I'm having to read lately... -_-'

#18 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Wait a second.  

The end of the video said "For Playstation 3", whereas the previous videos for it said "Only for Playstation 3", am I right? Doesn't that lean more INTO the possibility of it being multiplat, rather than it not?

#19 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (345 posts) -
@xyzygy: Maybe Squeenix hasn't totally lost their crap.  I do know that if they continue to spend the GDP of a small country on a game and then exclude half their potential buyer base, especially as Japanese developers continue to get crushed out by the West, then pretty soon one of these "Final" fantasies might actually be accurately-named.
#20 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

FFXIII was atrocious on the 360. If they're not even willing to spend much time on a 360 port, then I'd prefer they just concentrate on one version anyway. So whoo for console exclusivity, I suppose.

#21 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker: Yeah I know what you mean. Making a game like this exclusive just because the lead guy wants it to be does not make business sense and it's denying the Xbox FFXIII fans of the ability to play a title, and in turn make them more money. FFXIII was a success on the 360 and I believe it sold more than they expected.  

The majority of the 51 million 360's sold are in NA while the majority of 46 million PS3's are sold in Japan. Europe is probably somewhere in between. The fact that FFXIII sold more on the Sony platform shows that the majority of the userbase is in Japan, obviously. The fact that the 360 version sold over a million was very impressive especially considering it was on a new platform and some people didn't even know it was coming to the 360, having the PS name associated with FF for so long. I don't understand why they'd alienate that 360 group. 

Personally if the game comes to the 360 I'll get it for that but I don't mind getting it for PS3 if it stays exclusive.
#22 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Most likely it will stay exclusive in Japan but we'll get a badly done 360 port that will have nothing to do with Nomura. Either way it doesn't bother me aslong as we get it soon after the Japanese release (within a year).

#23 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
@KaosAngel: 
Did this really need another thread? You made a thread yesterday about the trailer, and in it you brought up this Nomura's hate for Xbox. I can understand you're excited for a title you're looking forward to, but this just seems like rubbing it in people's faces who don't own a PS3. I don't know two things about this Versus XIII dealy, but I do know that I hate exclusives (yes, that goes to both MS and Sony) and even moreso when people seem so damn smug about it.

I'm also aware of that the Xbox isn't nearly as popular in Japan as it is in the west, but isn't this Nomura a grown man? Is he really that immature to exclude half of the console market in the west just because the system isn't from Japan? Or do people honestly believe that releasing games multiplatform will somehow ruin the final product? I'm clearly not that well-read on the subject, but to me it just seems like marketing made by insane monkeys.
#24 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@CrazyChris: Yeah, I'm with you on the whole Nomura thing.

I don't mind exclusives (I see them as strictly business) but to insinuate that Nomura's dismissal of the 360 is somehow "noble" is totally baffling to me.
#25 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I don't care if it's ported over to the Xbox 360 or stays exclusive but Nomura...SAN (just saying that to be a ass to someone who said they would smack anyone who said that) should work with what he's able to bring the best quality too. If it's ported to the Xbox 360 halfassed like FF13 then don't bother, but if they started earlier for the Xbox 360 fanbase in NA then i'm all for it.

Either way I just want to play the game.

#26 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Catolf: Well, it's tons better than going with -sama or -dono as I'm sure some people would definitely be gravitating to.

But to the tune of PS3 exclusivity, I think an Xbox port would ruin the game. We already know that Nomura basically hates the 360, I don't think he'd want to see his grand masterpiece being defamed by multiple discs, compressed cutscenes, etc.
#27 Posted by JCGamer (671 posts) -

Why does it really matter? Who exactly does it help for XIII VS to be exclusive anyway? I remember a time when stuff like this was really important to me (emailed Nintendo a really angry letter when I heard FFVII was coming out for the PS1) but nowadays as the more people can enjoy a game the better in my opinion.

#28 Posted by InKtOiD (92 posts) -

I'm certainly not going to get my feathers ruffled over having what will probably end up being another SquareEnix disaster come to my 360. We already get to look forward to Final Fantasy 13-2 coming and reeking as much havoc as possible. If you're going to look at it from an exclusive library set then hands down the 360 will come out victorious every single time. I can deal without another mediocre Final Fantasy game because SquareEnix has lost the ability to create a great RPG. Maybe if they ever get around to Kingdom Hearts 3, whether it ends up being exclusive or not, they will have a chance at redemption in my eyes.

#29 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@InKtOiD said:
". Maybe if they ever get around to Kingdom Hearts 3, whether it ends up being exclusive or not, they will have a chance at redemption in my eyes. "
...lol, Nomura said he's working on Kingdom Hearts III once he's done with Versus XIII.  I think we know that KH3 will be for PS3 or Wii only, due to Nomura.
#30 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

13 doesn't become a good game in a world where it was exclusive. It just means people call it the 2009 disappointment of the year instead of 2010 disappointment of the year. Exclusivity doesn't do anything. And people who think something's "only possible on the PS3" are super fargone koolaid drinkers. 

#31 Edited by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @InKtOiD said:
". Maybe if they ever get around to Kingdom Hearts 3, whether it ends up being exclusive or not, they will have a chance at redemption in my eyes. "
...lol, Nomura said he's working on Kingdom Hearts III once he's done with Versus XIII.  I think we know that KH3 will be for PS3 or Wii only, due to Nomura. "

I'm gonna call it- Kingdom Hearts III will be a Sony NGP (working title) release.
#32 Posted by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -

I was all fist-pumpingly happy when the news broke of it coming to the 360, because of all the rage on the internet.

How well did FF13 sell on the 360 world-wide? Must have been some kind of profit right? FF13 International Edition (aka the J-360 one) was a disaster that might have lost them money though

#33 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
@somejerk: 
I don't think KaosAngel is interested in any form of debate at the moment. He's busy playing a 12-year old and making fun of people who don't have a PS3.
#34 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@CrazyChris: ...I own an Xbox 360.  :|
#35 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4882 posts) -

I have a PS3, and I have no interest in Versus 13. Especially considering how goddamn bad Baseline 13 was.  

That said, not porting to the 360 is dumb if your only reason is "I don't like that it was made by round eyes".

#36 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @CrazyChris: ...I own an Xbox 360.  :| "
Yeah, what was it...two broken ones? :P
#37 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" ''Nomura's Dream Project'' is rising fast to becoming one of the most annoying statements I'm having to read lately... -_-' "
I rarely pay attention to what KaosAngel has to say beyond the subject lines of his posts.  He doesn't know how to keep his emotions in check.  At all.
#38 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @CrazyChris: ...I own an Xbox 360.  :| "
Owning a console doesn't prevent you from being a fanboy. 
The fact that most of your topics are either hyping something on the Playstation or bashing something belonging to Microsoft says a lot more than the fact you've bought a system to try and pretend you're neutral.
#39 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: I'm playing Halo Reach right now with some of the kids on there, I love Xbox 360.  I own two of them.
#40 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @WinterSnowblind: I'm playing Halo Reach right now with some of the kids on there, I love Xbox 360.  I own two of them. "
Right now, as you're typing on a computer keyboard to post on Giant Bomb?
#41 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4882 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @WinterSnowblind: I'm playing Halo Reach right now with some of the kids on there, I love Xbox 360.  I own two of them. "
Did your PS3 break or something?
#42 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@KingWilly said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Did your PS3 break or something? "
I just love Xbox 360, and some users said that I hate Xbox... this is wrong.  I own Windows 7, two Xbox 360s, and I love Halo.  Now stay on topic.
#43 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4882 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @KingWilly said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Did your PS3 break or something? "
I just love Xbox 360, and some users said that I hate Xbox... this is wrong.  I own Windows 7, two Xbox 360s, and I love Halo.  Now stay on topic. "
KaosAngel, defender of the PlayStation brand and GLORIOUS NIPPON~! suddenly turning green and sporting a Halo-Kitty avatar is far more interesting than what that hack Nomura is up to. So please, enlighten us as to why you've suddenly turned tail.
#44 Posted by InKtOiD (92 posts) -
@KaosAngel: 

Whether they will let him do another exclusive game is probably going to come down to if Versus 13 does well enough or not, and after so many postpones and waiting and how bad the games have been the the company has been producing they're going to probably make it multi-platform. Damn sure won't be Wii Exclusive and after the massive blunder they decided to call Final Fantasy 14, they're going to need all the revenue they can get now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.