Tetsuya Nomura Sit Downs With Famitsu To Talk About Versus XIII

#1 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
Japanese Link   
English Link 

Summery 

Story 
  • The Introduction of the newest trailer was CG, but everything after that was running on the PlayStation 3 in-game.  This includes the ending segment when the characters talk in the dark room, and when Noctis' father is looking pissed at the priest.
  • The current voice acting cast is being kept secret, but some hardcore Nomura fans have figured some of them out.  Get hunting on looking over the VA's from Kingdom Hearts.
  • Famitsu asked just one questions about the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology. Will the l'Cie, who were depicted in Final Fantasy XIII as humans given the power to use magic and summons in exchange for being burdened with a mission, appear in Versus XIII? 
  • Nomura confirmed that as Versus XIII is based off the same mythology as FFXIII, the term l'Cie and other such terms will appear. However, going along with the modern look of the world, the language used in the conversation will also be modern. He didn't explain what this means precisely in terms of the use of the phrases.    

Battle System 
  • Double Jump, limit attacks, magic, all the basic Kingdom Hearts jazz is there.
  • The icons of other characters aren't just cosmetic.  It's to help you gage what they are doing and are rendered in real time.  So whatever face the character is currently making, you see that same face in the HUD.
  • Magic can only be cast when Noctis is in the party.  What this means, who knows...but it's related to the story.
  • The Final Fantasy Job System returns to Versus XIII...but only enemies will be using them.  
  • The Kingdom Hearts "Special Team Attacks" are gone, but you can do them manually.  You can't do it from the command list anymore.  :(
  • Each character plays differently, while Noctis will be the "Jack of All Trades".

World Map 
  • It works like GTA, the majority of the maps are open ended...yes...Nomura was telling the truth.  They managed to scale a proper 1:1 World Map in this game.
  • Day/Night Cycles Are In
  • Biggest In-Game World, aside from Final Fantasy XI

Six years already, and Nomura has kept every promise so far.  As one of the last remaining talent from the original Squaresoft, I'm surprised the game is turning out like it is.  It's like Nomura wants to fix the past sins of Square Enix.   

tl;dr - It's Kingdom Hearts, but for adults.
#2 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Just waiting for a release date......

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" Just waiting for a release date...... "
...Nomura already said Post-2012, so late 2012 or early 2013.  He's been dead-set on this date for years now. 
#4 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Venatio said:
...Nomura already said Post-2012, so late 2012 or early 2013.  He's been dead-set on this date for years now.  "
Wow....long dev cycle
#5 Posted by zameer (605 posts) -

Cautiously optimistic; FF and its fans need a big win. It's crazy that the name invites chuckles now.

#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

This game better have Japanese voice-overs on the USA disk or I will punch a kitten!

#7 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
"The Introduction of the newest trailer was CG, but everything after that was running on the PlayStation 3 in-game.  This includes the ending segment when the characters talk in the dark room, and when Noctis' father is looking pissed at the priest. "
No. Just no.
#8 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
"The Introduction of the newest trailer was CG, but everything after that was running on the PlayStation 3 in-game.  This includes the ending segment when the characters talk in the dark room, and when Noctis' father is looking pissed at the priest. "
No. Just no. "
Both the Fami and English interview say that only the intro was CG.  
#9 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

The opening section, which showed Noctis and his driver driving down a freeway was CG (not live action footage, Famitsu confirmed), 

The environments for the trailer outside the car arn't real? Holy Shit...HOLY FUCKING SHIT LOOK AT THEM!!!
#10 Posted by Icemael (6314 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
No. Just no. "
I believe he means in-engine, not in-game. They're pretty damn different.
#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" I believe he means in-engine, not in-game. They're pretty damn different. "
...it's still not CG.  So Nomura wins.  His target render trailer back in 2005 worked out.
#12 Posted by Icemael (6314 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Icemael said:
...it's still not CG.  So Nomura wins.  His target render trailer back in 2005 worked out. "
Wins what? This kind of stuff has been possible in various engines for a while now. And really, nobody cares that something can be done in-engine if it can't be done in-game. It can only be used in cutscenes, and at that point you might as well just use CG instead, since that will always be superior.
#13 Posted by Beforet (2915 posts) -

Open world? Well, that's one way to solve the corridor problem.

#14 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Icemael said:
...it's still not CG.  So Nomura wins.  His target render trailer back in 2005 worked out. "
Wins what? This kind of stuff has been possible in various engines for a while now. And really, nobody cares that something can be done in-engine if it can't be done in-game. It can only be used in cutscenes, and at that point you might as well just use CG instead, since that will always be superior. "
...Nomura doesn't use CG that much.  He rarely used it for Kingdom Hearts.  I trust Nomura's choices.  Considering both Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II were both great with scores and sales.
#15 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Beforet said:

" Open world? Well, that's one way to solve the corridor problem. "

Dude, it's frickin 1:1...with Airships.  The first fucking time Airships have been in Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy IX.  It'll be fucking 13 years since a proper FF game had airships.
#16 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  Stop claiming he's telling the truth until the game is actually released and we see what's actually in it.  You're just setting yourself up for disappointment like with FFXIII again.  You're reverence of Nomura has reached the levels usually only reserved for the idiots that revel in Peter Molyneux's every word.
#17 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Hailinel: ...Nomura has yet to lie, and all the information he gave back years ago is linking up.  Kojima goes around saying stuff and people believe him, it's the same deal.    

The difference here is that Nomura only has two console games under his belt. 

Think about that, this is his third console game.  He went from KH2 to this...let that sink in.
#18 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Hailinel: ...Nomura has yet to lie, and all the information he gave back years ago is linking up.  Kojima goes around saying stuff and people believe him, it's the same deal.     The difference here is that Nomura only has two console games under his belt.  Think about that, this is his third console game.  He went from KH2 to this...let that sink in. "
The only thing that's sinking in at the moment is that you've become a zealot.
#19 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4672 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Hailinel: ...Nomura has yet to lie, and all the information he gave back years ago is linking up.  Kojima goes around saying stuff and people believe him, it's the same deal.     The difference here is that Nomura only has two console games under his belt.  Think about that, this is his third console game.  He went from KH2 to this...let that sink in. "
And it's taking a fuck of a long time, isn't it? I suppose we should invoke the Duke Nukem Theory here. It's been in development so long the outcome MUST be shitty, right? 

Honestly I have no faith in this game, or anything with the Square Enix branding now. I just don't see how anyone could hold out hope for this title. It looks pretty, sure, but after FF 13 I highly doubt it'll play well.
#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Hailinel: You got people who follow Kojima the same way, or anime teams the same way.  The only difference here is that Nomura is showing signs of growing as a writer, developer, and artist. 

You really have no idea how big Nomura is in Japan do you?   His fanbase is massive, and yes...a lot of them tend to be females, but it's okay.  Nomura's fanbase will defend him to the end.  He has yet to make a bad game.
#21 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@KingWilly said:

"Honestly I have no faith in this game, or anything with the Square Enix branding now. I just don't see how anyone could hold out hope for this title. It looks pretty, sure, but after FF 13 I highly doubt it'll play well. "

It's a Tetsuya Nomura game!  He has yet to fail!  He has the best track-record out of everyone at Square. 

Final Fantasy Vi, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy X...were his artist credits.  Then he had a lot to do with the Advent Children's planning....and then he became the sole creator of Kingdom Hearts.  His record is flawless out of the entire company.
#22 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

My faith in Square has been shattered no doubt...

But Nomura? Dude keeps me interested. I didn't finish XIII once the combat became dull and all I had was the "amazing" story and characters left, so hopefully Versus just takes some terms...it'd suck if I would have to finish XIII.

#23 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4672 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @KingWilly said:
"Honestly I have no faith in this game, or anything with the Square Enix branding now. I just don't see how anyone could hold out hope for this title. It looks pretty, sure, but after FF 13 I highly doubt it'll play well. "
It's a Tetsuya Nomura game!  He has yet to fail!  He has the best track-record out of everyone at Square. "  
Considering Square, that ain't saying a whole hell of a lot. 

I'd swing at this game with cautious optimism, if I were you.
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Hailinel: You got people who follow Kojima the same way, or anime teams the same way.  The only difference here is that Nomura is showing signs of growing as a writer, developer, and artist.  You really have no idea how big Nomura is in Japan do you?   His fanbase is massive, and yes...a lot of them tend to be females, but it's okay.  Nomura's fanbase will defend him to the end.  He has yet to make a bad game. "
I realize that Nomura has a huge fanbase.  That's no reason to eat up his every word with sugar and honey and then sing his praises to all the land, however.
#25 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @KingWilly said:
It's a Tetsuya Nomura game!  He has yet to fail!  He has the best track-record out of everyone at Square. "  
Considering Square, that ain't saying a whole hell of a lot.  I'd swing at this game with cautious optimism, if I were you. "
It also feels like I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by the combat or the awkward mech stuff...
#26 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
"It also feels like I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by the combat or the awkward mech stuff... "
....I take it you hated Kingdom Hearts too.  :|
#27 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4672 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Hailinel: You got people who follow Kojima the same way, or anime teams the same way.  The only difference here is that Nomura is showing signs of growing as a writer, developer, and artist.  You really have no idea how big Nomura is in Japan do you?   His fanbase is massive, and yes...a lot of them tend to be females, but it's okay.  Nomura's fanbase will defend him to the end.  He has yet to make a bad game. "
I realize that Nomura has a huge fanbase.  That's no reason to eat up his every word with sugar and honey and then sing his praises to all the land, however. "
Holy shit, I actually agree with you. 

@Doctorchimp said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @KingWilly said:
Considering Square, that ain't saying a whole hell of a lot.  I'd swing at this game with cautious optimism, if I were you. "
It also feels like I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by the combat or the awkward mech stuff... "
You shouldn't be. It all looks very pedestrian. I honestly don't expect them to offer anything new or particularly interesting from a mechanical perspective.
#28 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Doctorchimp said:
"It also feels like I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by the combat or the awkward mech stuff... "
....I take it you hated Kingdom Hearts too.  :| "
I loved Kingdom Hearts...the combat wasn't really my favorite part about the game...

I mean it looked fancy, but no it didn't satisfy.
#29 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

I fall in and out of hype with this game, I just hope it rocks.

#30 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Beforet said:

" Open world? Well, that's one way to solve the corridor problem. "

Dude, it's frickin 1:1...with Airships.  The first fucking time Airships have been in Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy IX.  It'll be fucking 13 years since a proper FF game had airships. "
As long as this doesn't mean that zones are large just for the sake of being large (much like they were in FFXI, where travelling on foot anywhere took, literally, hours and there really wasn't much to see along the way.) I'll be happy.  

Also, yay airships!
#31 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Doctorchimp said:
....I take it you hated Kingdom Hearts too.  :| "
I quite liked the original Kingdom Hearts for what it was, by the time 2 rolled around I realized about halfway through it had just gotten too repetitive to continue with. I am still baffled by the popularity of the series even with the Disney stuff thrown in, for FF fans I don't see the appeal either, all of their characters are treated badly in those games for the most part.
#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Venatio said:
...Nomura already said Post-2012, so late 2012 or early 2013.  He's been dead-set on this date for years now.  "
He needs to hurry up with this fucking game so he can start on Kingdom Hearts 3.
#33 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

Battle System 
  • The gameplay was slowed down for the trailer, so expect a much faster game when it hits retail....yes, Nomura confirmed the game was seriously slowed down.
  • Double Jump, limit attacks, magic, all the basic Kingdom Hearts jazz is there but really really fast.
I don't know if you took this from the japanese article. But in the english one, says that the TGS trailer was slowed down, but the new trailer has the final gameplay speed.
#34 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@kingclaw: Fixed, I didn't read the English one in full and shot it straight from the Fami one.  -_-
#35 Posted by ESREVER (2681 posts) -

Totally stoked for this game. I'm currently playing FFXIII (my first FF) and I'm loving it. Its been a lot of fun to just knock out a couple of chapters every other day. The combat is also a lot of fun, to me at least. I feel like I'm taking all the roles in a MMORPG, and if I mess up, I only have myself to blame! 

With that said, this game is looking great. I loved both Kingdom Hearts, so an "adult version" of that sounds mighty fine. 
I'm perfectly fine with you hyping this game up, cause I think it'll be a worthwhile one to hype. So I won't follow it too much so I don't overdo the hype. I'll just be looking for your threads if I want to learn anything new. 

Post-2012 is a long ways off, but damn if I'm not excited about this game.

#36 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

- It's Kingdom Hearts, but for adults. "
Im down with that. Although I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, and 358/2 but I did not enjoy the majority of Kingdom Hearts 2.(About  95% of it)
#37 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Resident4t said:
" @KaosAngel said:

I did not enjoy the majority of Kingdom Hearts 2.(About  95% of it) "
....how does that work?  O_o  Normally people hate KH and the other crap, but KH2 is the gold.
#38 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Resident4t said:
" @KaosAngel said:

I did not enjoy the majority of Kingdom Hearts 2.(About  95% of it) "
....how does that work?  O_o  Normally people hate KH and the other crap, but KH2 is the gold. "
I don't know, I liked the parts of KH2 that were centered around Organization 13 and Roxas but I felt like they didn't combine the Disney and Final Fantasy characters in there that well. They just sort of stood out, while I thought the first game at least did a decent job of mixing them in there. My biggest problem was that I did not in any way enjoy those Quick Time Events( If you can even call them that since you only pressed Triangle) The game in general seemed to allow you to get away with button mashing more than the first game, which I think required a bit more vigilance.(If only a bit) 
I didn't really enjoy the story.... except for small portions of it.
#39 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Sounds good, i'm sold. I was skeptical, but if it's an open world game, that's going to be better than FFXIII.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.