To no one's surprise, a 360 version being considered

• 0 results
#1 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

Aaaaaaaaaaaand its that time of the year again (maybe), as Square is hinting that Versus XIII might in fact be coming to the 360 (and what's that around the corner, E3 and the MS press conference?)  here's the article:   http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wada-hints-at-ff-versus-xiii-on-360 

"Square Enix appears to be considering Final Fantasy Versus XIII for release on Xbox 360.

The E3 2006 promise of two new Final Fantasy games for PlayStation 3 apparently had small print.

"We'll be looking into it internally until right before the formal announcement," said Yoichi Wada of an Xbox 360 version, speaking to investors following today's annual earnings report (via VG247).

That "formal announcement" could be at E3 next month, although game director Tetsuya Nomura cast doubt on this in February, revealing that Square Enix had decided to revise the game's map.

What we know of FF Versus XIII so far has been gleaned from showy CG cinematics. But with Final Fantasy XIII now out of the door, the PR coast should be clear."

now, this of course is just a rumour or possibility, but would anyone really be surprised if it happened?

#2 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Seems like something that could happen. FF XIII sold pretty well on the 360 didn't it?

#3 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

Good news. I only have a PS3, but I still hate console exclusives. I just hope this isn't as disappointing as FFXIII...

#4 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Seems like something that could happen. FF XIII sold pretty well on the 360 didn't it? "
it sold about half of what the ps3 version did (at least in the states, dunno about europe), but thats still around 400-500k units at least which isnt too shabby. Plus european sales, and of the 5.5mill square says they sold of FF13, it wouldnt surprise me that at least 1.5 was on the 360
#5 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
#6 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

*Gasp*

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7721 posts) -

Well, I'm not surprised, but I am quite sleepy.

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9983 posts) -

Versus XIII was the only game that I was looking forward to for my PS3. I can definitely see it coming to the 360 though. And knowing me, with achievements and my large 360 collection, I will definitely pick this up for 360 if they port it. 

Ahh... well, I guess there are no current PS3 exclusives I'm looking forward to. Unless there are some I don't know of.

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I've been looking for outrage everywhere but I think the reality of FF13 knocked the wind out of people's sails. We probably won't even get a new meme out of this.

#10 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

wonder if it's going to be another "tap on the shoulder" moment at the MS press conference next month.

#11 Posted by William (441 posts) -

Xbox will ruin another final fantasy?! cant wait!

#12 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

i just hope they don't down-size the game like what happened with FF XIII.

#13 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19337 posts) -
@William said:

" Xbox will ruin another final fantasy?! cant wait! "

Smart.

I think that FFXIII Versus on 360 will definitely be announced at E3.  I haven't played FFXIII yet, so I wouldn't be too excited, but I'd love to see all of the Sony fanboy reactions.  It'd be glorious.
#14 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

if you think FF13 played like it did because it was "downsized", you are fucking insane. That was a design choice pure and simple, hell the ps3 version looked gorgeous, so you can't cry about the graphics

#15 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@William said:
Unless "Xbox" convinced the devs to make a generally poor entry in the series, then the devs are who ruined the game.
#16 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
@William said:
some people would argue that square soft ruined Final Fantasy a long time a go with 7
#17 Posted by tranquilchaos (574 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @William said:
some people would argue that square soft ruined Final Fantasy a long time a go with 7 "
I know I would.
#18 Edited by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

Don't tell KaosAngel this.  I think he will flip shit.

I think it's a good move for Square.  FFXIII did fairly well on 360 so I say why not, they totally should.

#19 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -
@William said:
Another proud moment for Final Fantasy fans.
And you guys wonder why everyone has such a low opinion of you all?

You're the "America" of videogame fans.
#20 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

My decision on this game will probably be based on how well I receive Final Fantasy XIII itself on my 360. I still haven't played it as I'm trying to finish up Lost Odyssey (on the last disc). I know they may be two completely different games, but they're made by Square Enix and it has "XIII" in the title so I wouldn't be surprised if some elements from XIII are transplanted into Versus.

#21 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @William said:
Another proud moment for Final Fantasy fans. And you guys wonder why everyone has such a low opinion of you all?  You're the "America" of videogame fans. "
actually its another proud moment of someone with a red tag talking trash about a 360/ps3 game on these forums. It happens a lot :P
#22 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @William said:
Another proud moment for Final Fantasy fans. And you guys wonder why everyone has such a low opinion of you all?  You're the "America" of videogame fans. "
wait so who is the Canada?
#23 Edited by xyzygy (9983 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" Don't tell KaosAngel this.  I think he will flip shit.  "

Let's all tell KaosAngel! 

@Ace829 said:

" My decision on this game will probably be based on how well I receive Final Fantasy XIII itself on my 360. I still haven't played it as I'm trying to finish up Lost Odyssey (on the last disc). I know they may be two completely different games, but they're made by Square Enix and it has "XIII" in the title so I wouldn't be surprised if some elements from XIII are transplanted into Versus. "

Apparently they take place in the same universe, but that's all. I'm guessing it's going to have a more Action-RPG feel because it's being made by the Kingdom Hearts team but then again who knows. I hope some of the story elements from XIII come into Versus because the ending of XIII is beautiful, let me tell you.
#24 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @William said:
wait so who is the Canada? "
I can't remember. 
badum chh
#25 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Konami considered MGS4 on 360 at one point as well.  Just sayin'.

#26 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @William said:
some people would argue that square soft ruined Final Fantasy a long time a go with 7 "
But more people think they ruined it with X and definitly fucked up with XII.

This is the reason I didn't want it to be release on the 360 despite it ended up being a very bad sub HD port, a lot of people bought it  and now  SE has the financial excuse to make another bad port, you will see, FF VS XIII will be native 720p with 1080p FMV and the 360 version will be just like XIII.
#27 Posted by Stryfeman (19 posts) -

Didn't Nomura say that he would quit if Versus ended up on the 360 because he was a Sony fanboy and versus was his baby? It could have been tongue in cheek though.

#28 Posted by dankempster (2253 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" Well, I'm not surprised, but I am quite sleepy. "
Flight of the Conchords are awesome, leading me to thoroughly approve of this otherwise irrelevant contribution. Hoorah, good sir. 

I for one would welcome this if there is truth to it. As a Final Fantasy fan who doesn't have a PS3 and has no way of affording one right now, anything that will allow me to experience another iteration of the franchise is fine by me. 

Oh, and @JJOR64 is right - don't tell KaosAngel. Anybody. At all. Got that? Good.
#29 Posted by m1k3 (1328 posts) -

i could really careless now than when FFXIII was announced for the 360. i for am still getting it on my ps3, but good on SquareEnix for taking the route that'll give them more money, if its true.

#30 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Stryfeman said:
" Didn't Nomura say that he would quit if Versus ended up on the 360 because he was a Sony fanboy and versus was his baby? It could have been tongue in cheek though. "
Kojima says a lot of shit too.
#31 Posted by xyzygy (9983 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @William said:
wait so who is the Canada? "
Street Fighter fans.
#32 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -

Eh... don't really care. Nomura is a rubbish video game designer. 

He should just stick to character artwork, and leave the game design to the game designers.

#33 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
@Valkyr said:
" @damswedon said:
" @William said:
But more people think they ruined it with X and definitly fucked up with XII.  This is the reason I didn't want it to be release on the 360 despite it ended up being a very bad sub HD port, a lot of people bought it  and now  SE has the financial excuse to make another bad port, you will see, FF VS XIII will be native 720p with 1080p FMV and the 360 version will be just like XIII. "
Bad ports exist, we get over it. look at the 90's and console RTS games, or the majority of PSP games. 
@Stryfeman
said:
" Didn't Nomura say that he would quit if Versus ended up on the 360 because he was a Sony fanboy and versus was his baby? It could have been tongue in cheek though. "
yeah, and metal gear solid 2 was Kojima's last Metal Gear game. money motivates
#34 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@Stryfeman said:
I hope he does, Nomura is a horrible designer. He was the one who decided that belts were cool
#35 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -

While speaking in the mindset of sony its sucks because they are losing some great games under there belt but other then that i don't really care. I thought versus was better suited for xbox then ff13 was. But after ff13 i'm not all that excited for versus and i will just wait and see how it turns out. Also they made pretty good money having ff13 mutiplat so i can see why they are considering it.
#36 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Sony isn't "losing" any game, its still the lead sku. Nobody is losing anything, that's the point. This just means more people can play the game, only a fucking fool would be mad about that.

#37 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Only concern is that I remember it being said that versus was going to be more like a 'traditional' FF game - read - large open world , airships, multiple towns to explore. 
Now the reasoning they gave for FF13 not containing the traditional standards of the game was time constraints and the amount of space doing that would take up for each town etc. 

If this is still true then developing versus for the 360 may be more difficult (or require a stupid amount of discs) 

Or they just used the OMFG WE NEED MOAR SPACE FOR TOWNS 
excuse - instead of the 
OMFG WE SHOULDNT HAVE GIVEN FF13 TO THE FFX TEAM  
excuse 
And that there would be no problems whatsoever!

#38 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I love how people in this thread already think it's gone multiplatform.

#39 Posted by Bayne (42 posts) -

The only thing which worries me here is that they said its being considered. The game has been in the running for ages. If they decided to port it other that will add more to the development time. Unless of course it been in the running for a while now its just they kept it quite. I own an xbox so of course i want the port. But i don't think the realese time should be brought down because of it.

#40 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -
@damswedon:  We get over it when they don't affect the quality of the final product. I was very happy when Nomura announced that VS was going to feature airships and a world map, now that the game is probably going to the 360, they may change some parts of the design to appeal the western gamer. The most recent example is Lost Planet 2, they stripped the story telling to make it more 'dynamic' and added a lot of crazy online features to appeal the western gamer  but the gameplay mechanics are still very japanese so the game ended being a mess.
#41 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

Now just bring my Kingdom Hearts on Xbox 360 and my life will be complete.

#42 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

This makes sense since the 360 version of FF13 sold relatively well despite having hardly any work put into it. It could just be Square Enix drumming up more interest in the game since they haven't mentioned it in a while by playing on false hopes. It might even be a timed exclusive for the PS3 and released later for the 360, like they did with Star Ocean 4 except the other way around.

As someone who only owns a PS3 out of the two, I'm not bothered by it, I just hope it doesn't delay release as much as it did with FF13, in which case, I think the hypothetical timed exclusive deal would benefit both parties (and possibly give them more time to do a proper porting job, just don't drag the PS3's release date along with it).    I also hope this game doesn't suck as much as 13.

#43 Posted by Creamypies (4065 posts) -

Sounds good! I didn't really have any issues with the FFXIII 360 port, so I'm all for this. Plus console exclusives fucking suck.

#44 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

More people playing the game = everyone wins.

That being said, I'll still buy the PS3 version.

#45 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -
@OmegaPirate:

FFXIII wasn't done by the team which handled FFX, It was made by the team which finished 12.

My only problem with this really is that it will delay the release date substantially. 

#46 Edited by Mourne (789 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @William said:

Harsh, but fair.

Kids online like to assume their favored gaming companies and franchises personally owe them something--sorry, they don't. You would have reason for complaint should you not be getting your game on your system, but that's not the case whatsoever. It's still going to be on PS3, and now it's going to be on 360 as well. Sorry, you're going to have to get over it.

I always see the Sony fanboys complaining about this happening, but the Xbox exclusives that do go to both--albeit it rare in occurence--hardly warrant an uprising from 360 owners (for example, Dead Rising 2--does anyone who owns a 360 care that it's coming to the PS3 as well?). Any idea why that's the case? Because the majority of them are just interested in the game, and rarely the politics. There are a number of annoying Xbox users, but nothing like the whining that is coming out of the Sony camp at times like these. Come on, people.
#47 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -
@LethalKi11ler said:
" Now just bring my Kingdom Hearts on Xbox 360 and my life will be complete. "
We all know it's going to be on Wii.  Mickey Mouse doesn't sell to teenagers.
#48 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -
@KingBroly:
I beg to differ friend, i played the first one when i was like 15 years of age, i'm now 21 and i will still be buying kingdom hearts 3, gotta get me some Keyblade action  
#49 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -
@eclipsesis said:
"@OmegaPirate:

FFXIII wasn't done by the team which handled FFX, It was made by the team which finished 12.

My only problem with this really is that it will delay the release date substantially."

Actually, that's highly unlikely.

Final Fantasy games have a tradition of coming out much, much later outside of Japan--except for 13. It launched only 3 months after the Japanese release. What ultimately determines when the games are released (after they have entered the homestretch), is basically where they can best bolster their numbers. Now that FF13 has been a worldwide success, that'll go double this time around.

Instead, this game is not remotely complete as far as the general public knows. The 360 development can start now and it would still be ready to launch as if it were a PS3 exclusive--Square has plenty 360 development  experience at this point, so I don't think we should quite sell them short just yet.
#50 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@eclipsesis: Ah - my mistake then (this old memory of mine is failing me xD)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.