Versus XIII Proper HD Trailer + Shots - May Nomura Dream Well

#1 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Well it looks like Square Enix isn't keeping Versus all hidden like it has been doing for the past few years.  The proper HD trailer with screens are up on the site and on their YouTube page.  Remember this is Nomura first proper console game since Kingdom Hearts II FinalMix+, and I have to say...Nomura has come a very long way compared to other developers.   

The screens look a lot like Kingdom Hearts at first glance but looking at it in HD, you can see a lot of smaller details.   

Here's a comparison of Nomura's last game with Versus XIII: 

As you can see, Versus XIII is looking very good compared to his last game.  Also, you can notice a lack of crazy outfits, lack maybe homosexual protagonist, and strives for a true "realism" that his last game couldn't have.   I have to say it looks pretty good...and it's amazing Nomura has done this in a short amount of time!  

Also, for people complaining about Nomura not wanting to make this on the 360.  This is his dream project, and he worked his ass off with KH/KH2 to be able to make Versus XIII, he paid his dues to Square and gave them their most profitable franchise for the last decade.  How would you feel if your dream was compromised due to people wanting silly requests?

Anyways, here's the proper HD trailer with proper shots.  Enjoy. 

#2 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Looks like I should actually pay attention to which dev team is working on which FF project from now on. 

#3 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" Looks like I should actually pay attention to which dev team is working on which FF project from now on.  "
QFT. Maybe this will be the saving grace of Fabula Nova Crystallis.
#4 Posted by Cincaid (2955 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" How would you feel if your dream was compromised due to people wanting silly requests?"

I agree, releasing stuff to both major consoles is a ludacris request!

I kid, of course. Game is looking fantastic, hopefully I'll have a PS3 by the time it's released.
#5 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

So do people not actually have voices during much of the dialog or is that just some trailer artistic choice.

#6 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

it's weird when you make a game made for a newer console it looks better!

#7 Edited by Lucreforte (13 posts) -

I just really hope Nomura can conjure up a good story, although that might be asking too much.

Everything else seems fantastic though. I have my fingers crossed.

#8 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" So do people not actually have voices during much of the dialog or is that just some trailer artistic choice. "
If it's like Kingdom Hearts then they talk during battle...and a lot.   

@Lucreforte said:
"  I just really hope Nomura can conjure up a good story, although that might be asking too much."
For once I got faith in Nomura's story telling ability...fucking Kingdom Hearts has one of the worst written stories in the history of gaming.  It looks like's going all in but being able to control himself.  I figure he read a book or two and learned not to write like he did for Kingdom Hearts.  But I agree, if Versus XIII has a bad plot...I would not be surprised in the slightest.
#9 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:

" Looks like I should actually pay attention to which dev team is working on which FF project from now on.  "

Yeah, considering all they've done to shift into a publishing role in the last decade, the "Square Enix" umbrella no longer communicates who is actually making these games. I'm surprised they haven't done more on that front.

As for the game... I dunno. It looks like a prettier Kingdom Hearts, with a more interesting aesthetic. There's definitely a place that on the market, but I'm not exactly salivating in anticipation.
#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Modern setting is underutilized, even if people are all using swords for whatever silly reason.

#11 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" @StaticFalconar said:

Yeah, considering all they've done to shift into a publishing role in the last decade, the "Square Enix" umbrella no longer communicates who is actually making these games. I'm surprised they haven't done more on that front. "
I don't think they think of it like "this is made by the better team and this is made by the crappier team".
#12 Posted by Hodas (7 posts) -

The game looks gorgeous and it makes me feel a little better knowing that Nomura is working on it  but I’m still cautious because it’s still Square Enix and I'm not really feeling the vehicle stuff.

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Plenty of games are released on both (or more) systems with nothing being compromised. 
His rock steadiness to release the game only on the PS3 has nothing to do with his "dream" or any of that nonsense.  He's simply a fanboy who's explicitly expressed his hatred of the 360 on several occasions and has selfishly proclaimed "well, if they can play with my toys too, I'm going home!" 

That said, this does look to be a far better game than XIII and if the gameplay ends up being as good as it looks, they really should have just made this Final Fantasy XV.

#14 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Sometimes subliminal racist dreams do come true.

#15 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Also, for people complaining about Nomura not wanting to make this on the 360.  This is his dream project, and he worked his ass off with KH/KH2 to be able to make Versus XIII, he paid his dues to Square and gave them their most profitable franchise for the last decade.  How would you feel if your dream was compromised due to people wanting silly requests?

Jesus Christ you have a sad hard-on for this. 
"IT'S HIS DREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAM GAAAAAAAAAAAAAME AND IT'S OOOOOOOOOOONLY FOR THE PS3!!!!!!!!1" 
I believe we got it after the fourth post you mentioned it. 
I care neither here or there if it comes for the 360 or PS3, I'll get it for either if it's good. 
Fact of the matter is that he still works FOR Square-Enix. If his pettiness would in any way get in the way of a good profit, then his dream would be as easily crushed as the fanboys' clamoring for that FFVII remake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.