Versus XIII Trailer - 7 Minutes, Nomura Still Has It

• 94 results
#1 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
#2 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Trailer is awesome.  Hoping it's good when (or if) we get to play it.

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@zyn: It looks like a next-gen Kingdom Hearts.  If anyone is going to "save" the JRPG it's going to be Nomura, and that "for PlayStation 3" tag at the end is pretty too.  Nomura really does hate that Xbox.  :P
#4 Posted by MEATBALL (3016 posts) -

I don't think Nomura's "had it" for a very long time. And I really don't think Mr. Zipperhoodie is the one to "save" JRPGs.

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@MEATBALL: ...his last proper release was Kingdom Hearts II FinalMix+, and it was fantastic...sure it never came outside of Japan but it was a great game.  
#6 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -
@KaosAngel:
Final Mix games in general are a slap in the face of any English fans of Kingdom Hearts.  "We made the games way better- too bad you'll never get to play them!"
#7 Posted by Kaigan (270 posts) -

I better be able to summon Goofy and Donald, game is shit otherwise.

#8 Edited by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

Looks pretty cool. Dunno if I like the whole mafia/yazuka feel (maybe thats just me)

Edit: Something kinda bothers that they seem to have just used the Kingdom Hearts battle system.

#9 Posted by Sanj (2339 posts) -

Trailer starts getting awesome from around 2:45

#10 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad: You can import it!  Everything is in English except for the text and the extended chapters, I own it and I still think it's Nomura's greatest gameplay games.  He fixed so much shit and added so much more. 

@Kaigan: Yo, it would be batshit insane if Versus XIII was really a KH game....and Versus was just a codename.
#11 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

This actually looks good.

#12 Posted by MEATBALL (3016 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" @MEATBALL: ...his last proper release was Kingdom Hearts II FinalMix+, and it was fantastic...sure it never came outside of Japan but it was a great game.   "

I wasn't big on Kingdom Hearts II, myself, the first game was okay (I obviously can't speak for FinalMix+). Final Fantasy X was mostly okay too. That's about it, I just don't think his work has been that special since the 90s.

Trailer looks interesting, at least. That camera kind of already looks bothersome.
#13 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -
@KaosAngel:
Yeah, that last comment of mine was pretty strong.  I'm just still bitter about the lack of Larxene in the states.

As far as the trailer goes, that was pretty awesome, but every time I saw someone aiming a gun I had flashbacks to Dirge of Cerberus.  They must have improved since then, though.
#14 Posted by ProfessorEss (7253 posts) -

That's a hell of a trailer.
Their CG department obviously still has it.

#15 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

All I can say is "wow".

#16 Posted by Pessh (2453 posts) -
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE 2011 RELEASE
#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Pessh: Nomura is going to take his good long time.  So would you if you were given funding like this, and the chance to make your dream game.  Expect no earlier than 2012 for Japan.  >.>
#18 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

Looks neat but I see a lot of straight streets, walkways and hallways in the game play sequences.  I wonder if it will be as blatantly linear as FF XIII was reportedly?  Now, I know that most RPGs have some sort of linear progression, but the trick is to make the player believe they're experiencing a twisty-turny adventure and not a "move from point A down to point B then repeat" struggle.   I'm probably being prematurely negative, and I do have strong hopes for the game, but I have my concerns.  It's hard to make a solid judgment from what I saw in the video so my hesitation is based off nothing but speculation; however it remains present until I hear more. 

#19 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Nomura said a year ago that Versus XIII will have a proper world map WITH airships, and full 1:1 scale.  I think he's just showing the scripted cinematic parts for the street action. 

God damn, could you imagine how Nomura feels?  This is the game he always wanted to make, it's going to be polished to all hell.
#20 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

That trailer honestly looks more promising to me than anything shown for XIII before it's release.  Also really digging the orchestral piece used.  However I will always remain skeptical just in case the game turns out bad, but I get the feeling this will be alright.

I am just a sucker for games featuring combat arenas that always have things happening around you as you fight your opponents, to give that feel of urgency.  Not many games really try this as of course it automatically adds a ton of more work in all areas of development.  Because of this, every time this happens I can't help but hope the developer pulls through and succeeds in making the game successful.

#21 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Why does the main character look a foot or three taller in CG mode than in-game?

#22 Posted by Wunder_ (1167 posts) -

I wonder if Donald Duck is a pre-order bonus.

#23 Posted by Pessh (2453 posts) -

Deserves a better name, makes it seem like a sequel to 13 or some shitty mmo.

#24 Posted by Soap (3560 posts) -

This is what XIII should have been. 

#25 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @zyn: It looks like a next-gen Kingdom Hearts.  If anyone is going to "save" the JRPG it's going to be Nomura, and that "for PlayStation 3" tag at the end is pretty too.  Nomura really does hate that Xbox.  :P "
Agreed.
#26 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I may have to buy a PS3 now.... Thanks Nomura.....

#27 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

Yup, game looks badass. Day one for me.

#28 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @zyn: It looks like a next-gen Kingdom Hearts.  If anyone is going to "save" the JRPG it's going to be Nomura, and that "for PlayStation 3" tag at the end is pretty too.  Nomura really does hate that Xbox.  :P "
Agreed. "
Also agreed in the sense that Nomura's approach to RPG combat is looking more active nad novel whilst keeping what works.  Let's hope the RPG options are also broad and interesting to keep that momentum going.
#29 Posted by Toxin066 (3250 posts) -

I was really impressed by that. Like, really, really impressed.

#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @PenguinDust: Nomura said a year ago that Versus XIII will have a proper world map WITH airships, and full 1:1 scale.  I think he's just showing the scripted cinematic parts for the street action.  God damn, could you imagine how Nomura feels?  This is the game he always wanted to make, it's going to be polished to all hell. "
This was before they went away and rethought the game, no?  We don't know how much of that original plan is still intact, but hopefully most of it, as it would correct most of the issues I had with XIII.  Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in Nomura's ability to tell a good story.. I do like the almost Yakuza look of this though and as long he doesn't make it too convoluted and filled with teen-drama, I'll be interested.
#31 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in Nomura's ability to tell a good story..  "
Same boat, I never liked the plot in any of the KH games...but he knows how to make a game.  His art style is debatable, but this one isn't looking too over-the-top punkish.  x.x
#32 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Wow, very hyped after seeing the trailer.  Everything about it looks like a huge step up, so hopefully it does still have a world map and a decent amount of exploration, etc. 
But it feels like a kick in the teeth to 360 fans, as this is a game that looks a lot more appealing to the typical 360 owner than the travesty that was XIII.  Giving them a taste of the series and then not the game that actually looks good is pretty cruel. 

I likely would have continued the series on the PS3 anyway but I can't say I've got any respect for stuck up fanboys, even if they are game developers.

#33 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

im very hype for this

#34 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

This can't be a final fantasy game, the character are wearing sensible and stylish clothing! (well maybe except for who I assume is the main character during gameplay).

I dig the Yakuza vibe though. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

#35 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Good trailer, looking forward to it when it's released in two years or so >.>

#36 Posted by ESREVER (2646 posts) -

Oh man! That movie looks awesome! 
Wait, what? It looks like it plays like Kingdom Hearts?!  

:O 
Wake me from hibernation when its out!

#37 Edited by EuanDewar (4686 posts) -

The reason I liked the Kingdom Hearts series was because of how fast and batshit crazy the battle system was and all those awesome worlds full of charming references to disney and Square, but this...I Cant get behind this.
#38 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

Nice trailer.  Definitely looks promising!

#39 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Huh, I'm just surprised this game actually exists outside Nomura's mind. Trailer looks rather promising though, I enjoy the Kingdom Hearts battle system. That said, it doesn't seem like the game to 'save' the JRPG, at least not gameplay wise considering it'll barely be one with that system.

Wish I knew what was actually happening in the trailer. Can anyone that reads Japanese give a quick summary?

#40 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Nomura really does hate that Xbox.  :P "
I'm not an expert in running companies or making money, but is it something to be proud about to basicly give the middle finger to the other half of console gamers around the world? I know Xbox isn't as big in Japan as it is in NA and EU, but all this "exclusive lol FU" business needs to end in my book. From both Microsoft and Sony.
#41 Posted by Masonvd (165 posts) -

Looks cool but seeing as FF13 was, for me, the biggest gaming disappointment of the last decade or so (Seriously. Fuck. That. Game) I will remain skeptical however showing other NPC's and places that looks like somewhere a person would actually live unlike Cacoon in FF13...we'll see. Please don't suck Nomura :( 

#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10262 posts) -

Looked kinda cool till it got to the combat. Then it was just kingdom hearts. Meh.

#44 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

Looks alright, hopefully there's more to the combat than Kindgom Heart's II. At a point it just became "attack, finisher, attack, finisher, QTE, attack, finisher."

#45 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

It looks very polished, that's for sure.

#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

OK, now I have some type of reason t get a PS3. Why is it that Square's the one who convinces me to get Sony products, even if I won't really get them (lazy and money)?

#47 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
" Looks alright, hopefully there's more to the combat than Kindgom Heart's II. At a point it just became "attack, finisher, attack, finisher, QTE, attack, finisher." "
As opposed to FPS titles, where it's point, shoot, point, shoot, point, iron sights, shoot? :P
#48 Posted by CornBREDX (4754 posts) -

Well, the battle system is definitely straight out of Kingdom Hearts. I don't know how I feel about that but I do prefer that over just hitting x and waiting for the battle to end.

Still looks like hallways though. We'll see; it looks promising if nothing else but i'm not holding my breath.

#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Im gonna press x so hard.

#50 Posted by RobotHamster (4169 posts) -

Looking forward to this, now all they have to do is show us at least a little of KH3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.