Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

Versus XIII Trailer - 7 Minutes, Nomura Still Has It

• 94 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By KaosAngel
    @RobotHamster said:
    " Looking forward to this, now all they have to do is show us at least a little of KH3. "
    Just picture Versus XIII but cel-shaded, and Disney. :P
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Vonocourt said:
    " Looks alright, hopefully there's more to the combat than Kindgom Heart's II. At a point it just became "attack, finisher, attack, finisher, QTE, attack, finisher." "
    As opposed to FPS titles, where it's point, shoot, point, shoot, point, iron sights, shoot? :P "
    Cuz that's totally comparable.
    sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By sgjackson

Love the style, my interest is piqued.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheFreeMan

CG cutscenes were undeniably gorgeous, but looks like it's got the more of that melodrama ("eyes that see the light of expiring souls" really) and the combat looks kinda slow. Still interested and optimistic though. Digging the visual vibe. Kind of reminds me of FFVIII.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Simplexity
    Sure hope this game will be more than just style and no substance, like pretty much every FF game since X.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#56  Edited By Jazz

Great CGI, but why does it need to be another FF game? Why not a whole new licence, or...a new PS3 Parasite Eve game?  Do they only have faith in selling games with either Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy on the box? 3rd Birthday doesn't even say anything about Parasite Eve on the box as far as I'm aware.
    Otherwise it looks typically modern squeenix and I really don't like that universe. 

...that new Tales video looked great didn't it?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#57  Edited By jacksukeru

Looks good I guess, I like the "young prince" type main character and battles look like they will be fun if the vehicle and gun aiming controls don't suck too much. 

Still, if it's more than a year away I just don't care...yet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#58  Edited By Hailinel
    @Vonocourt said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Vonocourt said:
    " Looks alright, hopefully there's more to the combat than Kindgom Heart's II. At a point it just became "attack, finisher, attack, finisher, QTE, attack, finisher." "
    As opposed to FPS titles, where it's point, shoot, point, shoot, point, iron sights, shoot? :P "
    Cuz that's totally comparable. "
    In that both descriptions unfairly boil down their respective gameplay styles to a banal level of simplicity?  Yes.
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By nexas

Wow that gameplay looks kinda bad.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ryanwho
    @Nexas said:
    " Wow that gameplay looks kinda bad. "
    I don't mind, as a fan of Dynasty Warriors. But I do recognize that's the level of play I'm probably looking at here.
    Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Shaka999

i'm excited and everything, but the gameplay looks kinda underwhelming and the fact that there's STILL no release date is infuriating, especially when you hear that FFXIII-2 is coming out before this. 

I don't know how much longer Squenix can keep me interested.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Jazz said:
    " Great CGI, but why does it need to be another FF game? Why not a whole new licence, or...a new PS3 Parasite Eve game?  Do they only have faith in selling games with either Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy on the box? 3rd Birthday doesn't even say anything about Parasite Eve on the box as far as I'm aware.Otherwise it looks typically modern squeenix and I really don't like that universe.  ...that new Tales video looked great didn't it? "
    I believe that The 3rd Birthday is called what it is because SquareEnix does not own the rights to the name Parasite Eve (the first game was a sequel to a Japanese horror novel). It'd also be kinda dumb for them to drop the name Final Fantasy when its gotta be the main reason these games sell like they do.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By mesoian

Oh god...

My knees actually went a little weak at that trailer. It's like the best parts of kingdom hearts, mass effect, heavy rain and metal gear all rolled up into one game.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Sasran said:
    " It'd also be kinda dumb for them to drop the name Final Fantasy when its gotta be the main reason these games sell like they do. "
    ....when you think about it though, this game has more in common with Kingdom Hearts than FF.  Would be one fucking twist if the year before it comes out, Nomura says this has always been KH3.  
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By I_smell

I still think this Avent Children type setting is a million times more interesting than the generic crystal city they set FF13 in. I really think THIS shoul've bin 13, it would've bin so much more interesting to see them do that.

I'm not gettin it though, I don't have a PS3 and I'm really bored of Final Fantasy anyway.
    It's funny how the first footage I see on this game is like-- camera-phone quality.

@KaosAngel

said:

" @zyn: It looks like a next-gen Kingdom Hearts.  If anyone is going to "save" the JRPG it's going to be Nomura, and that "for PlayStation 3" tag at the end is pretty too.  Nomura really does hate that Xbox.  :P "

Grown men don't hate Xboxes, oh my god.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Axersia

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZING! 

What the hell is with all the hate? It's totally Kingdom Hearts in HD but even more over-the-top (and hopefully with insane set piece boss battles that rival even Bayonetta). Just as promised. If you want more command-based crap, the FF13-2 forums are that way.

And yes, I'm a bit miffed they had the nerve to announce FF13-2 without even giving Versus XIII a proper release date, but regardless, this trailer has still rekindled my excitement for the game and made it my #1 most anticipated game once again. It's gonna be all worth it in the end. Nomura has never, ever let me down before.

crona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By crona

WOW. No one knows how to do CGI better than Square, huh?   

I think the success of this game relies on a lot of untold details and refinement. First, there's SOMETHING about the camera. Maybe I'm crazy, and once I get it on my LCD in front of me I'll stop worrying, but it just seems too... stable? The best way I can describe it is the camera feels like it came right out of XIII where the action is turn based, and something about that smoothness is putting me off for an action game. Also, the feel of the combat. Everyone's saying it looks like it's been ripped directly from Kingdom Hearts, and you're mostly right, but it seems to me that it's moving much slower, and also, it seems as though the attacks have a much shorter range than anything in KH. I'll reserve judgement on gameplay 'till I have it in my hands, but I think an offshoot from the main series is the BEST time to experiment with new gameplay for Final Fantasy (even if it's not so new for Kingdom Hearts). What about story? Unfortunately I don't understand a word of Japanese, and none of this makes any sense to me. "Feels" right though? I think they NEED an incredible story, and personally, I think it's been a long, long time since a GOOD Final Fantasy story.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#68  Edited By Icemael

Nice CG. Combat looks pretty bad, though. It resembles Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts, and both of those have extremely stiff, tedious fighting.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By Catolf

I don't look at it as Kingdom hearts in HD feels more like star ocean to me but I agree with @Axersia:  it looks fucking amazing, I get you all didn't like FF13 I thought it was decent, but wait for it to come out before you give all this damn doubt. Needless to say I'm hyped, and glad I have a PS3, but most likely won't see this for 2 years still, so, i'll be praying for Catherine to come over till then XD

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ZeroCast

I don't think this is Final Fantasy anymore but it looks interesting enough to capture my attention.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#71  Edited By Chocobodude3

This is Nomura's dream game. So of course it is going to be amazing

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By RE_Player1

Looks ok... that gameplay doesn't look appealing. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Hailinel: While they were both gross oversimplifications, one was focused on a specific game that was largely criticized for rather simple and really easy gameplay and having RPG elements that were largely superfluous, the other a complete genre of games.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#74  Edited By Hailinel
    @Vonocourt said:
    " @Hailinel: While they were both gross oversimplifications, one was focused on a specific game that was largely criticized for rather simple and really easy gameplay and having RPG elements that were largely superfluous, the other a complete genre of games. "
    Fine then.  Take any recent FPS title and my statement would still apply.  BLOPS, GoldenEye, etc.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Hailinel said:

" @Vonocourt said:

" @Hailinel: While they were both gross oversimplifications, one was focused on a specific game that was largely criticized for rather simple and really easy gameplay and having RPG elements that were largely superfluous, the other a complete genre of games. "
    Fine then.  Take any recent FPS title and my statement would still apply.  BLOPS, GoldenEye, etc. "
    Those game are made by they're set pieces and presentation, also they rarely go north of nine hours(if that). Kingdom Hearts II took what, around twenty eight by my playthrough iirc.

EDIT:Last line seemed kind of whiny.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By xyzygy

I think the gameplay looks fine. Very excited my god I have been waiting for so long for this!! Finally a game I want on my PS3

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#77  Edited By Jazz
    @Sasran said:

" @Jazz said:

" Great CGI, but why does it need to be another FF game? Why not a whole new licence, or...a new PS3 Parasite Eve game?  Do they only have faith in selling games with either Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy on the box? 3rd Birthday doesn't even say anything about Parasite Eve on the box as far as I'm aware.Otherwise it looks typically modern squeenix and I really don't like that universe.  ...that new Tales video looked great didn't it? "
    I believe that The 3rd Birthday is called what it is because SquareEnix does not own the rights to the name Parasite Eve (the first game was a sequel to a Japanese horror novel). It'd also be kinda dumb for them to drop the name Final Fantasy when its gotta be the main reason these games sell like they do. "
    I know, I've read the novel....though it's more of a medical text than a novel to be honest. 
    I'm aware that the brand name is what sells the game (which shows inherently how uninformed most of the people buying games of this type are) but that just proves how uninterested Squeenix are in taking risks these days with new IPs and shoving everything under the rapidly declining FF or KH franchise banners in hope that they will continue to either ride on the coat-tails of much older games or prey upon brand awareness.
    Nier is the only interesting thing they've produced, let alone developed, in the past couple of years and they closed Cavia down, and now we're getting FFXIII-2? THAT is fucked up. 
      I know that they're a business and have to keep making money, but they also need to..move on and stop diluting their franchises.  People complain about the state of the JRPG, but what they're really complaining about is the state of Squeenix.     
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By CL60

Looks cool. But the constant hate FF13 gets from GiantBomb is getting old.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By ShadowKnight508

If this does not come out this year I will be very disappointed. I am very excited for this game and I hope that Versus XIII can restore my hope in the Final Fantasy franchise after the somewhat disappointing Final Fantasy XIII last year.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#80  Edited By Yummylee

Kazuma Kiryu would be proud <3

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SSully

Kaos I have no idea how any game lives up to your expectations with the way you hype them to hell and back. 

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Eidderf

The cutscenes look nice and the game itself doesn't look bad (though I'm not really getting where all the excitement is coming from, nothing from it particularly stands out at me) would prefer if he just made KH3 but I'll probably give this a go whenever it is released.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#83  Edited By TheHT

Well, they made a Final Fantasy action game. Looks exciting!

stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By stringbacon
    No Caption Provided
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#85  Edited By dagas

Spiky hair: check, emo look: check. Good thing his hair is black instead of blonde or brunette or I might have mistaken him for Cloud or Squall. 

It's too early to say, but I'm not having high hopes. Apart from the Persona games no JRPG have done it for me in a decade. I still don't think Japan knows how to make games for people older than teens. During the PS1 era probably 70% of my games were Japanese, now it's maybe 10-15%. I thought Squall has cool as hell with his emo attitude because I was 13, now...not so much.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By vaiz

And then suddenly I gave a shit about a Final Fantasy game again! I will consider myself cautiously optimistic about this game, which is more than I can say about any FF in the last five years!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SSully: You could say...that it takes a bit of chaos.   

*puts on shades*
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By foggel

7 minutes?

Made in FF13's spirit, that's for sure.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By xyzygy

Hey they took down the video. They must really not have wanted us to see that. Why the hell wouldn't they want us to see that? It was awesome. And 

@stringbacon said:

"
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Versus 13 featuring Liam Neeson, I'll take it
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @xyzygy: That's Alan Rickman, but I personally think the dude in the trailer looks a lot more like Liam Neeson too.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#91  Edited By Yummylee
    @xyzygy said:

" Hey they took down the video. They must really not have wanted us to see that. Why the hell wouldn't they want us to see that? It was awesome. And 

@stringbacon said:

"
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Versus 13 featuring Liam Neeson, I'll take it "
    I think you mean Alan Rickman ;P 

EDIT; CUUURSE YOUUU KIRK!
    face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By face15

Anyone know where we can see the trailer now that it's been removed on youtube?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ryanwho
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @xyzygy: That's Alan Rickman, but I personally think the dude in the trailer looks a lot more like Liam Neeson too. "
    We're clearly looking at Ralph Fiennes with a beard here. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By xyzygy
    @ryanwho said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @xyzygy: That's Alan Rickman, but I personally think the dude in the trailer looks a lot more like Liam Neeson too. "
    We're clearly looking at Ralph Fiennes with a beard here.  "
    HOLY SHIT THEY ALL LOOK LIKE THE SAME GUY GAHHHHHH
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By dichemstys

Kingdom Hearts style play? I'm absolutely down. Sign me up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.