Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

What are you expectations?

• 77 results
    Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Like what to do want out of this game aside for wanting for it to come out all ready

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

A setting that doesn't need an encyclopedia to get into...

A combat system with more direct feedback...

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Since 9 I have been waiting for an open world style FF game, even though looking back 7,8 and 9 weren't actually open world in the modern day sense, but they had a feel of being in a massive world and all that. I played 10 to completion and didn't like it much, and dabbled in a few others since and (maybe Im wrong) but they feel so linear its almost on rails.

I love the feel of epicness of final fantasy, the batshit crazy lore, the itterations of the combat systems, the sound effects and music, and can just about deal with the emoness of the charactors, but not the linearity.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

i'd want a good solid story. But i know that wont happen cause fucking CRYSTALS.

I'll probably love the game despite it being shit

@hermes said:

A setting that doesn't need an encyclopedia to get into...

A combat system with more direct feedback...

too late, here are just some character names

• Noctis Lucis Caelum
    • Gladiolus Amicitia
    • Ignis Stupeo Scientia
    • Prompto Argentum
    • Cor Leonis
    • Stella Nox Fleuret
    • Regis Lucis Caelum
    Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I hope it's not Uncharted? The trailers I've seen have been hard to decipher, I don't know if I'm looking at a PlatinumGames style beat 'em up or an Uncharted/Tomb raider thing.

And I hope they have some color in there somewhere, there's a medium between carnival rainbow and emo black.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Expectations or wishes? I want it to be a beautiful, fun game with an engaging story, but I expect it to be a beautiful game that's occasionally fun with a story so far up it's own ass that I doubt I'll care about anyone or anything in that world when all is said and done.

My faith in Square Enix is shaky at best after these past few years.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@redhotchilimist: It's closer to Kingdom Hearts, it seems. An action RPG isn't necessarily what I want from Final Fantasy, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A fun, good playing game with an overdrawn and overwrought story of course.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've given up hope that Square Enix will ever go back to a turn-based battle system. I need to go through the HD remakes of Kingdom Hearts to figure out if I can deal with their action RPG spin on the franchise.

Aside from mechanics, I want a cohesive story, told properly without having to resort to an in-game encyclopedia to know what the hell is going on.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hermes

@bigjeffrey: Ok... that sounds pretty bad. Specially because I understand enough Latin to see they just put random words together...

For reference, here are some translations:

• Nocturnal Light Sky
    • Sword Friendship
    • Star Night Foil
    • Fire Amazing Science
    • Visible Money
    • Heart Lion
    • Royal Light Sky

So... let me guess: Nocturnal Light and Star Night are love interests. Sword Friendship is the best friend of the main protagonist, and a decent warrior on his own. Visible Money is a rich guy. Royal Light is the father of Nocturnal Light and leader of the Light Sky family. Amazing Science is an amazing scientist; and Heart Lion is a brave fighter...

Just typing that killed all the excitement I have for the game when they revealed the setting...

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Low. My expectations are low. The concept art looks completely generic, to the extent that I can't really distinguish between the characters - they all wear black and all have stupid anime-style haircuts. I don't doubt their backstories also include a lot of misunderstood angst and brooding in dark corners.

What amazes me is how little Squeenix seems to understand the audience for Final Fantasy. Somehow, they got the idea in their heads that Western audiences would never play a turn based game, and that all we want is really good graphics and lots and lots of particle effects, when really all we want is the same thing we've always wanted - a good game. Prior Final Fantasies (I'm talking PS1 and back) sold well because they were good games, recent ones have not sold as well because they were garbage.

I mean they seem shocked, shocked that FFXIII was received poorly. Well, what did they expect? That game deviated so far from the Final Fantasy ideal that it is a wonder is carried the name at all. At the same time, Bravely Default sold really well despite being everything that Squeenix thinks the Western gamer loathes - a turn based game with chunky graphics.

Of course, being Squeenix, it doesn't appear they've learned their lesson. FFXV is supposedly an action-RPG, because hey, Diablo is popular over here, right?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After XIII, I have none. Zero. Zip.

Though the lack of Toriyama has me reluctantly and hesitantly hopeful.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things I want out of this game:

A demo for a new, turn based, proper Dragon Quest included on the disk.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to be fun. That's all. Make it fun again.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TWEWY 2. Just do it. Please?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things I want out of this game:

A demo for a new, turn based, proper Dragon Quest included on the disk.

Thisthisthis a million times this. If they can reproduce an eighth of the magic of DQ8 on a modern console I will give them all of my money.

Also not a bad idea. Though I don't think TWEWY is quite as great as a lot of people seem to. The combat nearly wrecked my DS's screen I was flailing so madly trying to get certain moves to work.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

Also not a bad idea. Though I don't think TWEWY is quite as great as a lot of people seem to. The combat nearly wrecked my DS's screen I was flailing so madly trying to get certain moves to work.

I mainly like it for the interesting setting and that Nomura's character designs actually fit. The writing is also pretty good. The combat is definitely the weak link.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

A miracle?

I really don't know. When this game comes out I feel either the world will start spinning the other direction or nothing happens at all.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I will end up loving it and I love what I've seen so far. I guess I just want maybe the game to have a more open feel from the beginning though. I loved XIII, but waiting until Pulse to get to all the side missions and monster hunting quests was a little different. Nevertheless I thought it was a brilliant game and will probably love XV just as much.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

@corruptedevil said:

I mainly like it for the interesting setting and that Nomura's character designs actually fit. The writing is also pretty good. The combat is definitely the weak link.

It's one of the few games that actually play better on Ipad. The bigger, more responsive touch screen did wonders for the combat.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By dagas

I had way more fun with FFX HD than any other FF game in the last decade so I don't expect much. For me it was 7-10 that were the golden years. It has just declined since then. Every game makes me more and more dissapointed. JRPG's for me now are more niche titles. Love the Atelier series and of course Persona.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

The things I want out of a Square RPG likely will never come from a proper entry in the FF series. I'd like to see a return to a more traditional turn-based combat system, interesting and colorful characters, and a world that grabs me. Bravely Default almost had it right.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

It baffles me how many people seemingly want the jrpg genre to be stuck in turn based combat conventions. XIII was great because it innovated on the combat. No longer was it simply click a thing dk an action you had to be active in switching party roles as well as figuring out how to stagger/juggle enemies effectively. Going back to pure turn based combat would be a huge step back.

To the question I have to specific expectations other than that I hope they continue to innovate and make the game fun to play.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It baffles me how many people seemingly want the jrpg genre to be stuck in turn based combat conventions. XIII was great because it innovated on the combat. No longer was it simply click a thing dk an action you had to be active in switching party roles as well as figuring out how to stagger/juggle enemies effectively. Going back to pure turn based combat would be a huge step back.

To the question I have to specific expectations other than that I hope they continue to innovate and make the game fun to play.

I know. Many other genres move beyond stuff they've already accomplished, but for some reason JRPG fans want their genre to have the same gameplay wrapped around a new story. No thanks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Corevi
    @demoskinos said:

It baffles me how many people seemingly want the jrpg genre to be stuck in turn based combat conventions. XIII was great because it innovated on the combat. No longer was it simply click a thing dk an action you had to be active in switching party roles as well as figuring out how to stagger/juggle enemies effectively. Going back to pure turn based combat would be a huge step back..

I agree, the combat in 13 and 13-2 was the only good thing about those games. Found the lack of party members and the changes they made in Lightning Returns to be detrimental though.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be utterly let down because the hype train for this game is reaching astronomical levels.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By insidergamer

@lawgamer said:

Low. My expectations are low. The concept art looks completely generic, to the extent that I can't really distinguish between the characters - they all wear black and all have stupid anime-style haircuts. I don't doubt their backstories also include a lot of misunderstood angst and brooding in dark corners.

What amazes me is how little Squeenix seems to understand the audience for Final Fantasy. Somehow, they got the idea in their heads that Western audiences would never play a turn based game, and that all we want is really good graphics and lots and lots of particle effects, when really all we want is the same thing we've always wanted - a good game. Prior Final Fantasies (I'm talking PS1 and back) sold well because they were good games, recent ones have not sold as well because they were garbage.

I mean they seem shocked, shocked that FFXIII was received poorly. Well, what did they expect? That game deviated so far from the Final Fantasy ideal that it is a wonder is carried the name at all. At the same time, Bravely Default sold really well despite being everything that Squeenix thinks the Western gamer loathes - a turn based game with chunky graphics.

Of course, being Squeenix, it doesn't appear they've learned their lesson. FFXV is supposedly an action-RPG, because hey, Diablo is popular over here, right?

Hey, I could not agree more. Simply couldn't.

Think you're on the right track - it's as if Square does not understand what made their games such a success, so they wrongly iterate on things they think had contributed it to it, ignoring the things that actually had.

Basically, Square, like you've done in past, please make a beautiful world I WANT to be in, with characters I can sort-of care for, replete with super-grand music, and just enough excuses for player agency (battles, equipment/items, some decision making) such that the whole thing isn't just a movie anyway.

(I long for a Final Fantasy with even the ILLUSION of an open world again. So, in that vein, more FF12 please and less FF13.)

Also, thanks for the info in this thread. These names below, ARE embarrassing.

• Noctis Lucis Caelum
    • Gladiolus Amicitia
    • Ignis Stupeo Scientia
    • Prompto Argentum
    • Cor Leonis
    • Stella Nox Fleuret
    • Regis Lucis Caelum

EDIT: Is it wrong for me to say these names almost sound fetishistic in the way Square is just lapping up these pseudo-Latin-European references? Also, don't get me started on the nonsensical tripe that is some of the captions to their trailers for this game.

It's almost Kojima-esque in the way they seem to use ancient, once-upon-a-time lingo to evoke a sense of complexity (perhaps, if I dare say, where there might be none).

If I'm a hater, so be it, but I'm just crestfallen my opinion of the company has fallen so rapidly in what feels like such a short period of time.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: Is it really though? People have been hugely let down by FFXIII (which is another story all in itself for being a perfectly fine game) and we have seen almost nothing aside from the E3 2013 trailer and it hasn't been in any shows or anything since.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have none. Whatever this game turns out to be will not be for me because development started right in the middle of an era of square enix design that does absolutely nothing for me. Doesn't matter how long it took to make, unless they started from scratch, threw everything designed in the past 7-8 years away and replaced everyone in charge of the direction of the game there's no chance i'll like it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By donchipotle

@xyzygy said:

@donchipotle: Is it really though? People have been hugely let down by FFXIII (which is another story all in itself for being a perfectly fine game) and we have seen almost nothing aside from the E3 2013 trailer and it hasn't been in any shows or anything since.

I guess it depends on where you hang out on the internet, but from what I've seen people are already praising the game based solely on the fact that Motomu Toriyama isn't the director and that Nomura is going to deliver the goods. I'm pretty sure it's just people who hated 13 and are like "IT LOOKS DIFFERENT, BEST GAME" because of course they are.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

I bet when it shows up again it will be a completely different game with completely different characters.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

@corruptedevil said:
    @xyzygy said:

I bet when it shows up again it will be a completely different game with completely different characters.

I know you're joking, but I think we'll probably see a design change, as in the UI and stuff. If you've ever played The Last Story, I'm kind of expecting something like that as it was also a third person action RPG with fast paced combat that relied heavily on party combos.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Corevi
    @xyzygy said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @xyzygy said:

I know you're joking, but I think we'll probably see a design change, as in the UI and stuff. If you've ever played The Last Story, I'm kind of expecting something like that as it was also a third person action RPG with fast paced combat that relied heavily on party combos.

So what it was before it was Uncharted?

FF13 Versus  in 2011
    FF13 Versus in 2011

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#34  Edited By Slag

That it will be the first title to make me seriously consider a next generation console.

I selfishly hope it comes to PC so I don't have to get one

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all I anticipate from this game is dangerous hair

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By tatsuyarr

I would love an offline version of FFXIV with turn based combat but I guess I'll settle for the antitheses of FFXIII.

Oh and I would appreciate to have likable characters because it doesn't help enjoying the game if you want the main characters to die a painful death (FFXIII and FFIX's cast come to mind).

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOTY or runner up of its year of release......... If this game doesn't live up to the hype I would be very concerned for the future of quality JRPGS.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

The problem is, turn based combat has characteristics real time combat does not have. For example, there is a sense of strategy and tactics involved in turn based combat that gets lost in real time, simply because you have a different control of the flow when you control aspects like "who goes first?".

I am not arguing about which one is better, but games like Persona 4, X-Com and Valkyria Chronicles proved that turn based combat still has a place in modern gaming.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

What do I expect? A video game with a story that sort of takes itself a little too seriously, combat with a lot of great ideas that isn't necessarily executed well and character designs that people will go "Ewww Nomura" to even if they aren't that bad.

So, a modern Final Fantasy game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insidergamer: Judging characters solely by their name doesn't really work. People call Katniss Everdeen a strong character. It doesn't make her name sound any less like the protagonist of a Gundam show.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insidergamer: I think its part of their anime influence.

In particular, the evangelion influence that turned throwing random judeocristian symbolism in mildly relevant places and passing it as depth.

And yes, Kojima is known for doing that from time to time...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: True, but it does gives some suspicions into the tone or quality of the writing.

After all, it means the lead writer of the game things making puns in a foreign language that mildly represent the characters personality or their role in the story is clever writing...

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

For reference, here are some translations:

• Nocturnal Light Sky
    • Sword Friendship
    • Star Night Foil
    • Fire Amazing Science
    • Visible Money
    • Heart Lion
    • Royal Light Sky

These are amazing. I would play this game if they kept the names in english. Sword Friendship and Visible Money my unstoppable duo

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: You shouldn't judge the writing until it's there to be judged. Otherwise, you're just judging a book by its cover.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@insidergamer: Judging characters solely by their name doesn't really work. People call Katniss Everdeen a strong character. It doesn't make her name sound any less like the protagonist of a Gundam show.

Oh no, for sure - you, of course, have a great point. I'm not hiding the fact I'm being willfully negative to a fault. Maybe just frustrated with all this is all.

I am observant of the whole 'don't judge a book by its cover' thing. But gosh, what a cover.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Low expectations but as long as they can make a fun game with good story and good combat, i'll give it a fair shot.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it plays like Kingdom Hearts ill be ok with it, I just want a fun game, also a stable frame rate dont care if it is 30 or 60 I just want it to run ok.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah... I know.

Using puns as names does not translate directly to quality either, since many authors have done it before (Nick Carraway, for example); it just gives us suspicions.

I am not judging an unreleased game, just lowering my expectations.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

@insidergamer: I think its part of their anime influence.

In particular, the evangelion influence that turned throwing random judeocristian symbolism in mildly relevant places and passing it as depth.

And yes, Kojima is known for doing that from time to time...

Glad we're agreed on this. :)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Since 9 I have been waiting for an open world style FF game, even though looking back 7,8 and 9 weren't actually open world in the modern day sense, but they had a feel of being in a massive world and all that. I played 10 to completion and didn't like it much, and dabbled in a few others since and (maybe Im wrong) but they feel so linear its almost on rails.

I love the feel of epicness of final fantasy, the batshit crazy lore, the itterations of the combat systems, the sound effects and music, and can just about deal with the emoness of the charactors, but not the linearity.

Did you play XII at all? Once the game really gets going, it's one of the least linear Final Fantasy games.

@xyzygy said:

@demoskinos said:

I know. Many other genres move beyond stuff they've already accomplished, but for some reason JRPG fans want their genre to have the same gameplay wrapped around a new story. No thanks.

I'm all for experimenting and doing different things, but I still like turn-based combat a whole lot. I'd rather not see it go, or delegated solely to handheld games and nostalgic throwbacks. I don't think it's a step back to stick with a turn-based combat system, at least no more so than first person shooters sticking to assault rifles and shotguns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.