Fainaru Fantajî

#1 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

Why on IMDB are there pages (some duplicates of the main ones, and some seemingly the only ones of that game) for Final Fantasy games but with the title "Fainaru fantajî"?

Here are Links to the ones I could find:

Isn't this incredibly racist? While I know IMDB was editable I didn't know you could make up pages all you wanted or edit the titles of existing ones (if you can then I would appreciate it if someone could fix this as I am unsure how to edit titles).

--Edit-- After seeing response how it is said phonetically I think I agree that it isn't racist, however I still question why these pages exist at all

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

This isnt the IMDB forums.

#3 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -

Nothing racist here. That's literally how Japanese people pronounce these. It's what they are called in Japanese. ファイナルファンタジー。

#4 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I know, but I am not apart of it. In fact I hardly use IMDB (the only reason I used it today was to fine a specific quite from Final Fantasy X).

@CaLe said:

Nothing racist here. That's literally how Japanese people pronounce these.

I don't think mimicing it would be racist (such as reading Final Fantasy with their accent) but writing it as if it is their title seems pretty racist as it implies they cannot read.

#5 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Dagbiker said:

I know, but I am not apart of it. In fact I hardly use IMDB (the only reason I used it today was to fine a specific quite from Final Fantasy X).

@CaLe said:

Nothing racist here. That's literally how Japanese people pronounce these.

I don't think mimicing it would be racist (such as reading Final Fantasy with their accent) but writing it as if it is their title seems pretty racist as it implies they cannot read.

Funnily enough, Japanese people would most likely feel much more comfortable reading it like this than with its proper spelling. Then again, this page is not made for Japanese people. It was probably made by some guy trying to be overly accurate to the original name, which isn't necessary for IMDB.

Edit: I edited my above post. This actually is the title of the games in Japanese, this spelling is just the romanized version of it. So it's actually helping English speakers to pronounce the Japanese name for them. If you say Final Fantasy to a Japanese person you'd probably get a blank stare. But they'll understand Fainaru Fantajii immediately.

#6 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@CaLe: I guess I see your point, like when people spell things phonetically to learn how to pronounce words. It just still seems racist to me as I am used to seeing the english spelling of Final Fantasy appear during japanese trailers for the game so I know if they were to try and search for it in english they would almost certainly spell it correctly.

And I am leaning towards the idea that someone put it their purposefully to insult the games or just to annoy people rather than for accuracies sake.

--Edit-- After seeing response how it is said phonetically I think I agree that it isn't racist, however I still question why these pages exist at all.

#7 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@CaLe: I guess I see your point, like when people spell things phonetically to learn how to pronounce words. It just still seems racist to me as I am used to seeing the english spelling of Final Fantasy appear during japanese trailers for the game so I know if they were to try and search for it in english they would almost certainly spell it correctly.

And I am leaning towards the idea that someone put it their purposefully to insult the games or just to annoy people rather than for accuracies sake.

Yeah, English looks cool to a lot of Japanese people so it would be used in things like trailers, but they still know the game as Fainaru Fantajii (or just FF - efu efu). It's really not someone trying to insult..

#8 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

How dare that baka gajin not complete the desu desu desu list. Where is Finaru Fantaji Vee Aye Aye Aye!? I'm going to show this to my Japanese girlfriend, her dad works at Square Enix and he will correct this at once. Did I mention they are from Japan?

It could be someone trying to annoy people or it could have be someone who's really anal about pronunciation. The information on the page doesn't really point to someone trying to make fun of the series so I wouldn't think it's a troll...but even if it was I don't know if really matters since sources like the FF Wikia is where I imagine more people going to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.