Final Fantasy 8 or Anthology?

#1 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

Ok so I've recently begun buying all the older Final Fantasy games as FF13 has left me wanting more from a series that typically has impressed much more over the years. Now the only FF games I've played and actually gotten into have been FFIV on the DS, FFX, and FF13 so I do not have much experience though I know how the games work both structurally and gameplay-wise. Anyways I just ordered FFVII and FFIX as I feel those are the two that most interest me. I plan on buying more later or hell as soon as the new ones arrive in the mail and I start playing them. I'm just wondering what one to get next. I've always been interested in FFVI as many people cite it as the best or second best (behind 7 of course). It seems like a masterpiece in 16 bit rpg gaming. Although I also would like to complete the PS1 trilogy by buying FF8, I'm not scared off by the love story it focuses on, in fact that sort of interests me as love is rarely a topic that is nailed in video games. FFV really doesn't interest me much... at all. So it's really FFVI v.s. FF8. My brother said he'd let me borrow his FFVI Advance copy for the GBA, but I prefer playing games on the tv so again, what do you think? FF Anthology or FF8?

#2 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Ignore all the haters, VIII is a great game and much better than the horrendously over rated VII. But I'm not in a position to say whether or not its better than VI as I've never played it.

#3 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

I'm in the minority here but Final Fantasy VIII is a bad game, it's got some of the worst plot choices and characters you'll see in an RPG.

The combat system is similar to VII's, which is fine; however they royally fucked up the magic system. Instead of having an MP value or X casts of spell level they decided to force you to grind individual casts of spells off monsters, this means your reward for exploiting enemy elemental weaknesses is even more grinding to replace the spells you used up. To make things worse, you have to link your stats to specific spells, granting bonuses depending on how many casts are left, pretty much forcing you to keep your casts as high as possible so you get the maximum bonus.

On a more positive note VI is amazing, go play that.

#4 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

dude you are speaking a foreign language right now lol. i think I should also add that I'm a casual rpg fan and only somewhat know what you're talking about witchHunter lol

#5 Posted by alexl86 (620 posts) -
@WitchHunter_Z:  Not a minority. From what I played of the game(long ago now), I'd say it's probably the worst of the PS1 games. It tries too hard to come up with neat ideas that never really work out. Also, while I never finished it or anything, I've seen a fair amount of the story and know how it pans out in the end, and it makes no sense.
#6 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

If you've not played VI before then anthology is something you should pick up for that game alone.

#7 Edited by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

Honestly the two best games of the series are FF VI and FF VII.  The vast majority of FF players who actually have played them all will agree with that too.  FF VIII while I wouldn't say it is the worst game in the series... it definitely is not the best.  It is also not a love story, the romance part of it is pulled off I suppose but it isn't really played out or particularly well done in fact VII's romance subplot is better handled.  The rest of the story though reads like a very bad fanfic of some anime series from hell.  Let me briefly cut aside here and mention that there is also a reason FF II, III, and V never saw American release originally, they just weren't all that good with maybe the exception of V which was "Ok".  The primary reasons they weren't all that good is because they either had really unfriendly battle/gameplay systems (looking at you FF II) and or the story didn't really deliver (FF V felt like a step down from IV in this respect).

So summing up.... buy the anthology and play FF VI but look at playing that FF V too, and maybe even playing the original FF I before you play FF VIII, assuming you take the time to play it at all.

#8 Edited by dankempster (2252 posts) -
@Nibbz:  Not an easy choice there. Given you enjoyed FFX and FFXIII, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Final Fantasy VIII. I think it's developed by the same team, it uses a similar stylistic approach to Final Fantasy XIII with its highly-mechanised world, and graphically it's aged surprisingly well for a PS1 game. It does have some pretty deep and complex gameplay systems, but they're all explained really well with demonstrative tutorials, so even a newcomer shouldn't feel too overwhelmed. It does have its fair share of problems, though, so I'd recommend reading some reviews before you purchase. On the other hand, Anthology (which I believe contains FFV and FFVI in the US) will get you two classic SNES RPGs for the price of one. FFVI is obviously the star candidate there, and everybody else in this thread will most likely sing its praises for you, but I wouldn't write off FFV either - assuming you can get through the cliche-ridden first third of the game the gameplay and story really improve, and the characters are some of the best in the series. 

Ultimately, I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend you pick up both, assuming you can afford to. All three games have something unique to offer, and I don't especially think you could go wrong with any of them. Whatever you decide to purchase (and please let us know which game you choose), I hope you enjoy it. Peace out, duder. 

EDIT: Also, I really hope you enjoy your time with Final Fantasy IX. It's a game that's often overlooked by series fans, but that probably best captures the essence of the entire Final Fantasy series up to that point.
#9 Edited by Lawrens (688 posts) -

uh, I'd certainly recommend FFVI over VIII, I didn't really hate 8 as much as people does, however anthology isn't a good port, you'd want to get the gba version of FFVI, but then there might be some differences in sound and graphic quality in that version, but there are new dungeons and better translation I think, someone else might want to fill you in on that as I don't have that version, I have anthology and the loading was bad.

#10 Posted by Spwn (176 posts) -

If you can stand the loading times of FF Anthology (it takes about 10 seconds to load up the menu screen) then pick it up. I love FFV and FFVI more than FFVIII, but the latter also has some charm of it's own. I like VIII, but the plot and the way it's told is total nonsense.

#11 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

im really leaning towards 8. my brother is gonna let me borrow 6 for gba. and i want to complete my FF PS1 collection

#12 Posted by Genjai (300 posts) -
@Nibbz said:
 It seems like a masterpiece in 16 bit rpg gaming.
FFVI is a masterpiece.

@Karkarov said:
" Honestly the two best games of the series are FF VI and FF VII.  The vast majority of FF players who actually have played them all will agree with that too.  
FF VIII while I wouldn't say it is the worst game in the series... it definitely is not the best.
.... buy the anthology and play FF VI but look at playing that FF V too, "
This ^^^

@Spwn said:
" If you can stand the loading times of FF Anthology (it takes about 10 seconds to load up the menu screen) then pick it up.  "
And, the loading times in FF Anthology are horrendous... they weren't bad when I played FFV & FFVI on anthology when it came out, but by today's standards, they aren't good.
#13 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -

Final Fantasy 8 is my personal favorite. I disliked FF 13 so take from that whatever you want.
The gameplay mechanics were great in FF 8, bit grindy when it came to gathering magic but worth it in the long run.

#14 Posted by Jikla (158 posts) -

I think Final Fantasy 8 is more of a love story. It's a great game and all but I would've easily picked 6,7,9 before 8 :/

#15 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

If you are just in it for a collection I am not sure why you even asked for  opinions but at least play FF VI first. 

#16 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You could play FF8. 
Or, you could download the online version of Triple Triad and play a slightly better version of the best part of that game.

#17 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -
@NoXious said:
" Final Fantasy 8 is my personal favorite. I disliked FF 13 so take from that whatever you want.The gameplay mechanics were great in FF 8, bit grindy when it came to gathering magic but worth it in the long run. "
honestly i'm not too impressed with FF13 either. It's so slow early on and just drags on corridor after corridor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.