Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

Final Fantasy Producer Talks About HD Remake Collection

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid

In an interview with xbox360achievements.org, Final Fantasy Producer Yoshinori Kitase says that a HD remake collection of old Final Fantasy games isn't an impossibility.

“We haven’t made up our mind about that yet,” said Kitase, “but if there was a strong voice coming through from the users asking for such porting, then obviously we would seriously consider it, but no actual plans yet.”

I for one would welcome the old (pre-X) Final Fantasy games in fancy HD remakes for PS3 and X360. What about you, or you had enough fantasies?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

That's cool, I guess, though graphics aren't what's keeping from playing the old Final Fantasy games.

pakattak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pakattak

An HD release of anything pre-FFX wouldn't make much sense. All the backgrounds were pre-rendered and character geometry wasn't exactly... robust. And I'm assuming you're not mistaking HD release for a total graphical remake (which will never EVER happen, and makes little financial sense).

Most likely the best contenders for HD releases are FFX and FF12, both of which I'd wholeheartedly accept.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    I would buy a HD remake of 12.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

@pakattak: Don't forget FFX-2. Fuck the haters, the combat in that game was great.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cincaid

@pakattak:

You're probably correct, as I really don't know much (anything) regarding HD remakes and stuff. I enjoyed X and XII too, I just got in my mind that it would be fun to see the even older titles get an overhaul as well. Guess we'll see what happens, since right now it's so vague.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Yoshinori Kitase thinks that fans are clamoring for HD remakes of Final Fantasy? Where?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta

@benjaebe said:

@pakattak: Don't forget FFX-2. Fuck the haters, the combat in that game was great.

it's true!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By probablytuna

I want Final Fantasy III to be remastered with 2D graphics (much like in Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II and most recently, Final Fantasy IV on the PSP). I can't stand playing it in 3D on my phone, just feels uncomfortable watching it.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Gabriel

@CrazyChris said:

I for one would welcome the old (pre-X) Final Fantasy games in fancy HD remakes for PS3 and X360. What about you, or you had enough fantasies?

Yeah Sony would sacrifice Jack Tretton before they let FFVII appear on 360.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @rebgav said:

Final Fantasy Producer Fucks With FFVII Fans Yet Again

Fixed.

LOL
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60

PLEASE remake FFX in HD.. PLEASE.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Cwaff

@PrimeSynergy said:

@rebgav said:

Final Fantasy Producer Fucks With FFVII Fans Yet Again

Fixed.

LOL

*wipes tear from eye*

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Chris2KLee

10 and 12 in HD on one blue-ray would have my money easy. Toss 10-2 in there as a bonus while you're at it.

XtremePudim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By XtremePudim

As someone that doesn't own a ps2, i would buy a HD collection that included X, X-2 and XII, since i never played those games but always wanted to.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

Is he serious? How can he not see the demand? Of course there is demand! This and Metal Gear Solid were the two most requested HD collections ever since Sony announced the God of War one. Goddamn it SE, how can you be so blind as to what your fans want? :sigh:

For the record, yes, I want this to happen. Very badly. And they need to port the International versions of X, X-2 and XII. Those are the games I want in HD and with trophies.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@Laketown said:

@benjaebe said:

it's true!

As true as that may be, the rest of the game was infuriating garbage.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AuthenticM

@Hailinel said:

@Laketown said:

@benjaebe said:

it's true!

True enough, but the gameplay is just so fucking good that I can get over this fact. The flow of the battles in X-2 is just superb. You can tell that the Battle Director of X-2 was the guy who designed the battle system of XIII.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By galiant

@Hailinel said:

@Laketown said:

@benjaebe said:

it's true!

Combat sure was great. The game had its good moments, but they were few and far between. The "Charlie's Angel"-vibe and general quirkiness of everything was hard to swallow.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@AuthenticM said:

@Hailinel said:

@Laketown said:

@benjaebe said:

it's true!

True enough, but the gameplay is just so fucking good that I can get over this fact. The flow of the battles in X-2 is just superb. You can tell that the Battle Director of X-2 was the guy who designed the battle system of XIII.

Not counting the time lost from deaths, I could only stomach to play it for roughly five hours before I had to turn off the game and step away before I snapped the disc in half out of anger. It's hard for me to enjoy the combat when everything else is a horrid, misshapen mash-up of insipid minigames, wrecked characterization, and truly sadistic requirements for 100% completion to earn an ending that isn't worth the trouble at all. I understand this, because I have a friend that actually put herself through the torture of getting the 100% completion, and she wants every minute of time wasted on that game back.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By defaulttag

No thanks. give me Chrono Cross.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By vidiot

"Kitase: Final Fantasy HD Console Collection Would Be Seriously Considered if Demand Was High Enough"

At this point, I'm seriously questioning whether or not the internet exists in Japan, or at least at Square.
    What the hell does that even mean, seriously? There's a HD collection for Sly Cooper. Not to harp against Sly Cooper, I love that series, but were people going to the internet and demanding a "Sly Cooper Collection" en-masse? 

The real question is: Why haven't you started on an HD Collection yet?! Or were you too busy remaking and re-releasing the entire series for the Apple Pippin.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cincaid

@defaulttag: That and Chrono Trigger would be dreamlike.

@vidiot: Agreed on all your points.

cotubbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cotubbs

I actually don't believe a remastered package would be too hard/expensive to do. My favorite way of playing 7/8/9 is on my pc. When I play them on my PC, I can use some pretty fantastic shader packs. 7 looks FANTASTIC with some simple cell shading, 8 is pretty flexible (looks good with bump mapping, cell shading, or High Quality Filtering), while 9 looks AWESOME with some bump mapping. If they rereleased these with some shaders, I would pay retail. again.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Dagbiker
    @Cincaid

In an interview with xbox360achievements.org, Final Fantasy Producer Yoshinori Kitase says that a HD remake collection of old Final Fantasy games isn't an impossibility.

“We haven’t made up our mind about that yet,” said Kitase, “but if there was a strong voice coming through from the users asking for such porting, then obviously we would seriously consider it, but no actual plans yet.”

IF there was a strong voice, when the hell is there not a strong voice
    Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Hmmmm FF6 in HD, this makes me so very happy. :D

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan

Although it's been addressed, Square wouldn't be doing anything pre-PS2. A graphical remake isn't the same as an HD collection, which is just up-res'd assets mostly. I would buy the collection just for FFXII, personally. If it didn't only come out for PS3 (which I know it would, sigh) then I would love to play it again, seeing as how I literally played through the whole game just on a friend's PS2 at it's time of release and have been wanting to give it another go for years. Come to think of it, I played through the entirety of FFX on that same friends PS2 as well. I only ever played About an hour or two of FFX-2, though. It seemed pretty fan-service-y.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.