Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

I'm on a Final Fantasy mission

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Cerialthriller

I have decided to play every Final Fantasy game that was released in North America. I will be replaying any of the ones that I have not played in the past 5 years. This will be a long journey, but I feel it will also be a rewarding one. And when I am finished, I will probably start doing other series as well, maybe Dragon Warrior or Zelda and other game series. So here is the list of games that I have finished, and what I am working on: 

• Final Fantasy 1 (PSP) 
    • Final Fantasy 2 (PSP)
    • Crisis Core (PSP)
    • Final Fantasy 6 (PS1)
    • Final Fantasy 12 (PS2)
    • Final Fantasy 13 (PS3)
    • Final Fantasy 3 (NDS) In Progress
    I have finished 7,8,9,10, and 10-2, but it's been a while so I will be redoing those ones. I'm going to update my blog often, so if you are interested in following this journey, stay tuned.
    Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Cerialthriller

I have decided to play every Final Fantasy game that was released in North America. I will be replaying any of the ones that I have not played in the past 5 years. This will be a long journey, but I feel it will also be a rewarding one. And when I am finished, I will probably start doing other series as well, maybe Dragon Warrior or Zelda and other game series. So here is the list of games that I have finished, and what I am working on: 

• Final Fantasy 1 (PSP) 
    • Final Fantasy 2 (PSP)
    • Crisis Core (PSP)
    • Final Fantasy 6 (PS1)
    • Final Fantasy 12 (PS2)
    • Final Fantasy 13 (PS3)
    • Final Fantasy 3 (NDS) In Progress
    I have finished 7,8,9,10, and 10-2, but it's been a while so I will be redoing those ones. I'm going to update my blog often, so if you are interested in following this journey, stay tuned.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

That's going to be one hella long journey. Good luck with that.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

I respect you for being willing to put up with the shit sandwich that is FFXIII

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By beforet

Good luck brother. I myself have been replaying some of the core games (7&9). Most of them are fine, and though 2 and 13 are low points they are by no means terrible. Just be ready for a looong fucking commitment.

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cerialthriller

@Ygg Lol, yeah, I drank a lot while I played that I think. The battle system was kind of fun, but everything else was a complete letdown.

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cerialthriller
    @Beforet said:

Good luck brother. I myself have been replaying some of the core games (7&9). Most of them are fine, and though 2 and 13 are low points they are by no means terrible. Just be ready for a looong fucking commitment.

I didn't find 2 to be bad, I sort of liked it. Although the last few bosses were kind of a pushover with the Blood Sword.. 
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beforet

I liked 2 as well; I'm interested in replaying it on the PSP. It is a low point in the series though, but at least it had some interesting ideas.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Kyreo

You will enjoy Final Fantasy 3 for the DS. I really liked that, if you couldn't tell by my avatar! :P

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IBurningStar

I was thinking about doing something similar. I just replayed VII a couple weeks ago and am working on VIII now. I'm seriously considering rolling right on into IX after that. If I'm not totally burnt out after that then I might really dedicate myself to playing through them all.  Main series only. I'm not playing Dirge of Cerberus or the fucking Crystal Chronicles.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By dietmango

Didn't they say Final Fantasy VI would be on PSN? I've looked and can't find it...

Right now, I'm playing through FFVIII and hope to finish it. My next one would probably be FFIV on the DS. Anyways, good luck going through the FF games :)

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By GalacticPunt

The 8-bit Final Fantasy II is so broken, and forces you to play it in such bizarre ways. All the hitting your own party to get their Hit points up and blood sword exploiting...

I went down this path in the past decade, playing through every numbered FF game. And every numbered Dragon Quest game. Yes, even FF11. I spent over a year with it, beat the "Shadow Lord" (boss of the core game) and got out. Didn't really scratch the surface of the expansions. Why not work that one in? Since you've already done Crisis Core as part of your mission, have you set a precedent where you have to do all the core spin-offs? FFIV: The After Years? FFXII: Revenant Wings? This sort of thing can grow out of control!

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cerialthriller
    @GalacticPunt said:

The 8-bit Final Fantasy II is so broken, and forces you to play it in such bizarre ways. All the hitting your own party to get their Hit points up and blood sword exploiting...

I went down this path in the past decade, playing through every numbered FF game. And every numbered Dragon Quest game. Yes, even FF11. I spent over a year with it, beat the "Shadow Lord" (boss of the core game) and got out. Didn't really scratch the surface of the expansions. Why not work that one in? Since you've already done Crisis Core as part of your mission, have you set a precedent where you have to do all the core spin-offs? FFIV: The After Years? FFXII: Revenant Wings? This sort of thing can grow out of control!

I played a lot of FFXI, but I eventually didnt have the time for it anymore, but I did love that game. I think I'm going to do the core games first then work on the spin-offs and other games, especially the Tactics series. And I'll try the Crystal Chronicles ones or whatever. And I have a Final Fantasy Legends cart sitting around here somewhere too so I'll give that a whirl.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cornman89

Well... good luck with that.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

I wish you luck!

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beforet

If you get to the spin off, make sure to give Vagrant Story a try. I'm playing it right now and it's actually really good. Same guys who made Tactics.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chirag4
    @Beforet said:

If you get to the spin off, make sure to give Vagrant Story a try. I'm playing it right now and it's actually really good. Same guys who made Tactics.

Christian Bale is right.
    LinusPauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LinusPauling

I did this myself, somewhat. Replayed 7, 8, 9, and then went to 3 and 4 on the ds. Once I finish IV, I think I'm moving on to 6 on the gba. I think I enjoy the psx FFs more at this point than when I was a kid. I understand the mechanics better and play them a la Vinny, with total completion and mastery in mind. Good luck, have batman, duder.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1

What about 4? My favourite in the series that I've played.

Cerialthriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cerialthriller
    @RE_Player92 said:

What about 4? My favourite in the series that I've played.

4 is next up on my list after I finish 3.
    korkesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By korkesh

I have been doing this myself over the past 2 years on and off when I have a lull in new releases. I have been playing through the main series in order, except MMO versions,  and so far I have hit FF6.  

It can get tough at times when some of the grinding becomes unwieldy  and some games are definetly better than others, I hated 3 and it was my first and only time I will play it. 

My goal is to finish by the release of XIII-2
    Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Devoid

The only non-MMO Final Fantasy I still need to finish is FFXII. You should take on the DS version of FFIV.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.