Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

What if Final Fantasy games had Mass Effect-style choices?

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LostRebel

Imagine being able to interact with other characters in the Final Fantasy games like you can in Mass Effect. Imagine how drastically different the interactions between characters would be if you could do that as Cloud, Squall, or other characters. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea, since JRPGs are extremely linear in nature, but I think it might be interesting to see what it would be like, what do you think?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Then the protagonists would be empty cyphers, rather than actual characters, and the overall central plot would become far less focused and weaker over all in order to maintain the illusion that your choices actually mean anything in the long run.  No thanks.

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Monte

They would still suck

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    Although the Persona games don't have choice on the level of Mass Effect they do offer the chance to go one on one with your party members and learn more about them which I love. I would love to see a Final Fantasy game in the vain of Mass Effect but it will never happen.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MisterChief
    @monte said:
    They would still suck
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Hailinel said:
    Then the protagonists would be empty cyphers, rather than actual characters, and the overall central plot would become far less focused and weaker over all in order to maintain the illusion that your choices actually mean anything in the long run.  No thanks.
    Except Commander Shepard is an infinitely more interested character than anyone from the recent Final Fantasy games, despite the fact his/her general personality changes depending on how you play. 
    Not that it's something I necessarily want in Final Fantasy, or think the developers would be able to do very well..  But playing as a more custom defined characters over the likes of Vaan or Tidus would be very welcome.
    SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SMTDante89

Personally, I don't think it would really work in a Final Fantasy setting.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gike987
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@Hailinel said:

Except Commander Shepard is an infinitely more interested character than anyone from the recent Final Fantasy games, despite the fact his/her general personality changes depending on how you play. Not that it's something I necessarily want in Final Fantasy, or think the developers would be able to do very well..  But playing as a more custom defined characters over the likes of Vaan or Tidus would be very welcome.
    There are also games like The Witcher and Planescape: Torment that lets you make choices even if you are playing a pretty well defined non-customizable character.
    Although that does not mean I want to have dialogue choices in a Final Fantasy game.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BraveToaster
    @SMTDante89 said:
    Personally, I don't think it would really work in a Final Fantasy setting.
    This.
    BadOrcLDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BadOrcLDR

If they did that to Final Fantasy then I might finally start caring about Final Fantasy.

...and then I'll realize I like Mass Effect more and begin once again to ignore the Final Fantasy series as a whole. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Then the main character won't cry all the time.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Nekroskop
    @monte said:
    They would still suck
    They would suck more
    proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By proflate

What if the Final Fantasy games brought back the fucking JOB SYSTEM? 
     That would be the only thing that could get me interested in these games again.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
    @Ezekeilpurger: Yeah bring back the damn job system. That was my favorite part of any final fantasy! What was the last Final Fantasy game to feature the job system?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    @Hailinel said:
    Except Commander Shepard is an infinitely more interested character than anyone from the recent Final Fantasy games, despite the fact his/her general personality changes depending on how you play. Not that it's something I necessarily want in Final Fantasy, or think the developers would be able to do very well..  But playing as a more custom defined characters over the likes of Vaan or Tidus would be very welcome.
    Yes, because the Mass Effect manner of character interaction did such a bang-up job for Dragon Age II, as well.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By danielkempster

Final Fantasy VII featured dialogue trees with choices that had a decisive impact on later events in the game-world, ten years before Mass Effect. 

Just putting that out there.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By FirePrince

-Whine like a bitch.
    -Come up with some stupid plan.
    -Sigh.
    Interesting choices, really.
    How about they focus on FF not sucking?

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By proflate
    @Oscar__Explosion: FFV. Oddly enough, that's my favorite FF game, wonder why.
    LinkinMedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By LinkinMedo

final fanatsy 1-10 are ten times better than mass effect and they didn't have choices !! so i think they don't need it  imo . 

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Hailinel said:
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    @Hailinel said:
    Yes, because the Mass Effect manner of character interaction did such a bang-up job for Dragon Age II, as well.
    Dragon Age 2 was done by the Edmonton studio that never had experience in that kind of game They made shit like KOTOR and Baldur's Gate. The Mass Effect trilogy was developed and worked on in the Montreal studio, which I believe didn't have a title to their name before ME. 

As for my personal opinion on the matter, I don't know what Final Fantasy should do next, but I do know that they really, really, REALLY need to sit down and figure out where they want the franchise to be in five years. Final Fantasy can't keep living off of the Nomura fanbase and they can't keep sticking to archaic design philosophies. Something at Square Enix needs to change, and for FF15 to be relevant it needs to start changing this year.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By demonbear

That's never gonna happen. Japanese devs dont want ANYONE to interfere with their magnificent storytelling talents. Specifically not you, the player!!! How DARE you? Fuck up their superb and perfect story???

What? You want to customize a character??? Fuck off!!!

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Axersia

I never understood why BioWare receives so much praise for their dialogue system as I personally find it to be severely flawed. You could be asked a question with extreme urgency in the heat of battle and decide to just kick back, relax, and inquire about the lore for the next 10 minutes. By the time you answer the question it has nothing to do with the topic at hand and just sounds extremely awkward. Not once in a BioWare game was I convinced that these were real people having a real conversation. DA2 was even worse than ME2 in that regard as my character always came across as bipolar and having some serious anger management issues unless I stuck to one attitude throughout a given conversation.

Your choices also don't carry any weight and all you're really doing is deciding which voice clip will be played next. At the end of the day, It doesn't matter if you said nice things or rude things or punched a few people in the face, you're still playing as the good guy. At least the Fallout series allows you to play as someone genuinely evil. A true psychopath who wants to destroy humanity. If it was up to me, I wouldn't save Earth in ME3, so BioWare had better come up with some damn good incentive to get my Shepard to comply.

When I look back to the WRPGs I've played, I don't think about what little story I encountered, but moreso how much of a bad-ass my character was. That's great and all, but I don't see any reason why all games should be like that. Especially not the FF series, which has always been the polar opposite of WRPGs. 

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phish09

Imagine if Final Fantasy even had some decent voice acting, so maybe you could actually tolerate the characters instead of cringing every time you get to a cutscene.  That might be enough of a baby step forward for me to actually enjoy the next FF game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

If FF games had choices that exist in a vacuum and don't really matter it wouldn't change anything but I guess some people are into that gimmick, so it couldn't hurt. While we're at it, make it a shooter. You know, "Innovation". 
    Now if you mean FF could use choices that actually matter, well that could be fun. But "Mass Effect" style choices don't matter. Everyone played ME2 from the exact same beginning and reached the same ending (give or take a few coffins) for how much your choices mattered throughout the game. But for choices to actually matter, you have to actually exclude content. Exclude a pathway and a big bundle of possible sidequests. You can't go "choices matter but you can still do 95% of all quests and the main quest is the same no matter what" cus that's the very definition of choices not mattering. And I don't mind that shit too much, it just doesn't add anything to the game for me.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By galiant

The potential here, as I see it, is being able to choose whether you want all that exposition to a character or not. If you're interested and want to get to know them better, you can exhaust all options and hear their story instead of being forced to do so.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @Galiant said:
    The potential here, as I see it, is being able to choose whether you want all that exposition to a character or not. If you're interested and want to get to know them better, you can exhaust all options and hear their story instead of being forced to do so.
    I kind of feel like its the most tedious way to deliver exposition, where as it is now FF games tend to deliver it through flashback cutscenes. If you're not interested you can skip the cutscene. See, there are choices.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I liked the last Final Fantasy :(  I would still love to see a Japanese take on the Bioware style RPG.   The JRPG genre in general is dying and maybe borrowing elements from Western RPG  would help. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.