Fire Emblem 3DS coming to North America!

• 60 results
#1 Edited by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

Apparently, in the minutes after Nintendo's rather lackluster 3DS press conference, Reggie told some reporters in the audience that Fire Emblem: Awakening is coming to North America. The only confirmation I have on this so far are tweets from people such as Stephen Totilo.

Why Nintendo didn't announce anything about Fire Emblem at the 3DS press conference itself, I have no goddamn idea, but I am happy to finally see some confirmation.

EDIT: Updating the OP to denote that Nintendo has since given official confirmation via Twitter. So let the celebrations commence!

#2 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

I wonder if they thought they had already announced it or people somehow had just assumed it would eventually come out. It is odd. Although I am not going to belive it until either a full article appears somewhere saying it concretely "he said this..." or another Nintendo higher-up says so too.

Still cool though.

#3 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Does it look better than the Marth DS game? I didn't like it when they changed from nice 2D to bad 3D.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

All I care about is Professor Layton.

#5 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -
@Totori said:

Does it look better than the Marth DS game? I didn't like it when they changed from nice 2D to bad 3D.

It is not using the same art style.

#6 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Kind of weird for them to not announce it, especially since they had almost nothing else to talk about tonight. I guess that means that it's either more than a year out or they think there isn't a huge market here for it (which wouldn't really surprise me).

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Why Nintendo didn't announce anything about Fire Emblem at the 3DS press conference itself, I have no goddamn idea, but I am happy to finally see some confirmation.

Sigurd's a Streetpass character, Celice is a DLC opponent (with some crazy goddamn outfits), and Nintendo hates Fire Emblem 4 with a passion. Why else was it the only Fire Emblem game not to appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

#8 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@HarlequinRiot said:

Kind of weird for them to not announce it, especially since they had almost nothing else to talk about tonight. I guess that means that it's either more than a year out or they think there isn't a huge market here for it (which wouldn't really surprise me).

According to Jason Schreier on Twitter, it seems that Reggie might not have been aware that the game's U.S. release apparently wasn't supposed to be announced yet. If so, that would explain why it wasn't at E3 (though why it wasn't at E3 if they're bringing it over anyway is another E3 mystery).

#9 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

#10 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

Sigurd's a Streetpass character, Celice is a DLC opponent (with some crazy goddamn outfits), and Nintendo hates Fire Emblem 4 with a passion. Why else was it the only Fire Emblem game not to appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

I don't think Gaiden, Thracia 776, or Sacred Stones were in there either.
#11 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
Oops! Wasn't supposed to reveal that.
#12 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@Ace829: The psychotic grin on your avatar seems appropriate somehow.

Also, who is she?

@Turambar said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

I seem to recall Brawl at least containing Sacred Stones stickers, though I could be wrong.

#13 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -
@HarlequinRiot said:

Not sure how well the remake of Shadow Dragon sold, but there aren't many reasons why Mystery of the Emblem didn't make it here, and poor sales of the former is one of them.
#14 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Of course it is.

#15 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -
@Hailinel: Oh right, it was Roy and Marth, meaning Fire Emblem 7 didn't really have much of a presence either.  Man, I wanted to play as Hector.
#16 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Well, that's good to hear. Maybe I will get a 3DS some day.

But probably not.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Turambar said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

I seem to recall Brawl at least containing Sacred Stones stickers, though I could be wrong.

Plus there was a Leaf sticker. Thracia 776 Leaf, though; they went out of their way to specify "not Seisen no Keifu" Leaf.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Of course it is.

Don't be so snide. There were legitimate concerns that it wouldn't be released here.

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Of course it is.

If only we could comfortably make that assumption. We couldn't. Nintendo didn't even announce it properly.

#20 Posted by jewunit (1054 posts) -

They didn't want to have to explain the marriage system on a livestream. Middle America is not ready for it.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@jewunit said:

They didn't want to have to explain the marriage system on a livestream. Middle America is not ready for it.

Marriage? As in "Seisen no Keifu incest out the ass" marriage? Or just an alternate dimension to the support system?

#22 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Now let's see if the 3DS Layton and the Phoenix Wright vs. Layton crossover ever get localized.

#23 Posted by Farbelowaverage (47 posts) -

@jewunit: Man, there's nothing wrong with forced mating, and then conscripting the child...

#24 Edited by jewunit (1054 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@jewunit said:

Marriage? As in "Seisen no Keifu incest out the ass" marriage? Or just an alternate dimension to the support system?

You can apparently marry any of your allies. The game's producer says that Seisen no Keifu left a big impression on him, but I don't have substantial knowledge of that game to compare them.

@Farbelowaverage: Have I got a game for you!

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@jewunit said:

The game's producer says that Seisen no Keifu left a big impression on him

OH HELL YES.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

It's officially official. Nintendo posted an announcement to Twitter. (a.k.a.: Oh shit, the boss let the cat out of the bag! SAY SOMETHING!)

#27 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -
#28 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

This and Paper Mario are the only things I'm interested in announced this year. I need to see more than that before I get a 3DS though. Maybe if they actually shows their redesigned one. Maybe Monster Hunter. Really, Nintendo dropped the ball this year.

#29 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

This and Paper Mario are the only things I'm interested in announced this year. I need to see more than that before I get a 3DS though. Maybe if they actually shows their redesigned one. Maybe Monster Hunter. Really, Nintendo dropped the ball this year.

They already debunked the rumored redesign, and Monster Hunter is a Capcom franchise.

#30 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Ace829: The psychotic grin on your avatar seems appropriate somehow.

Also, who is she?

That's Beatrice from Umineko no naku koro ni

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11478 posts) -

Well shit. Now I have to buy a 3DS. Personally, I'm thinking Red, as the glossy finish means that getting a black one lets me see all my gross fingerprints and such and the blue one is too light. Isn't purple a color now too? Maybe I'll get that.

Oh. And from everything I've seen (and I've seen a lot), this game seems kinda awesome. It's basically a grab bag of all the favorite features from past games. They got branched promotions, alternate classes, a world map and obligatory batshit insane difficulty mode (Lunatic +, which is apparently almost as hard as Lunatic Reverse from Shin Monshou no Nazo). Also the soundtrack is kinda amazing.

#32 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -

Cool, well... damn... it becoming harder and harder to resist getting 3DS... I need to wait one more year until the redesign (note, i have no idea when the redesign is coming out, but i am assuming it will be announce or release around the 2 year mark of the initial 3DS release).

#33 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -
@Hailinel: I just meant things that would get me excited had I seen them. Not necessarily Nintendo games. And I'm aware that they denied the redesign, but since its them, I'm sure.they'll get around to it eventually.
#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater:

A true Fire Emblem fan will get the Fire Emblem 3DS. They're releasing that outside Japan, right?

#35 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Totori said:

8-4 said it looks much better.

#36 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Totori said:

8-4 said it looks much better.

Is 8-4 localizing it?

#37 Posted by ZombiePie (5587 posts) -

@LordAndrew: Just copying this statement for fun:

I would like to take this moment to taunt the Giant Bomb community because there's no fucking way they're going to release Fire Emblem Kakusei in North America. Oh, and congratulations to everyone who got featured this week. Except those who worked on the Fire Emblem articles
#38 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11478 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ArbitraryWater:

A true Fire Emblem fan will get the Fire Emblem 3DS. They're releasing that outside Japan, right?

Believe me, if Fire Emblem was a big enough deal in the states for its announcement to not be an afterthought on twitter, then hell yes I would buy the bundle. But it won't. So purple it is. Also I guess I can play Super Mario 3D Land until then... or something. Oh. And Kid Icarus.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

@LordAndrew: Just copying this statement for fun:

I would like to take this moment to taunt the Giant Bomb community because there's no fucking way they're going to release Fire Emblem Kakusei in North America. Oh, and congratulations to everyone who got featured this week. Except those who worked on the Fire Emblem articles

Heh heh heh.

#40 Posted by pyromagnestir (4247 posts) -

@Red said:

But probably not.

Seconded. 3DS plays DS games too right? Then I'd have a whole slew (or I guess, 1 DS and 1 3DS) of Fire Emblem games to enjoy. Although, I really would prefer some way to play the games on my tv. I lost interest in handhelds long ago.

#41 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Hailinel: No they just talking about how great it looks in the podcast a month or so ago.

#42 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

@Red said:

But probably not.

#43 Posted by Hunter5024 (5544 posts) -

Yay! I'm still peeved the sequel to shadow dragon never came out here because of all the cool crazy stuff that was apparently in that game, but I will be happy to play this one nevertheless. At least it's not a remake.

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11478 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

Yay! I'm still peeved the sequel to shadow dragon never came out here because of all the cool crazy stuff that was apparently in that game, but I will be happy to play this one nevertheless. At least it's not a remake.

Having finished it a few weeks ago, I can confirm that Shin Monshou no Nazo is a much more interesting game than Shadow Dragon ever was. Now if only the translation patch would get finished at some point. Then I could probably comment on the story too.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Having finished it a few weeks ago, I can confirm that Shin Monshou no Nazo is a much more interesting game than Shadow Dragon ever was. Now if only the translation patch would get finished at some point. Then I could probably comment on the story too.

Awakening takes place in Archanea, which has me a little worried that some references to the events in Shin Monshou no Nazo could get lost, but on the other hand, the game takes place so long after the earlier games that I can't imagine many of the events being relevant.

#46 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11478 posts) -

@Hailinel: As far as I can tell, from lurking on the Serenes Forest forums and otherwise, the references are more background flavor than anything else (there is totally a random callout to Path of Radiance in a support too). Oh, and an adult Tiki totally joins your army.

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Awakening takes place in Archanea, which has me a little worried that some references to the events in Shin Monshou no Nazo could get lost, but on the other hand, the game takes place so long after the earlier games that I can't imagine many of the events being relevant.

I don't know; Fire Emblem 4 takes place 1000 years before the Archanea games, but it still manages to fit a reference to it in there. (If there is obscure knowledge on Fire Emblem 4, I am there to know the shit out of it.)

#48 Posted by StarvingGamer (8016 posts) -

Finally a game worthy of my 3DS!

I hope they don't screw up the DLC.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Finally a game worthy of my 3DS!

I hope they don't screw up the DLC.

Only if they want another Twitter explosion on their hands. Nintendo seems to be very good about summoning those when it comes to their RPGs.

#50 Edited by liako21 (519 posts) -

i think they read all comments in the chat during the 3ds press conference and were like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck we gotta go it. I'm sooo happy though!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.