Impossible to find in stores

#1 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

I know it's available in the eShop but I want a physical copy (you can always resell physical)...has ANYONE found this (In The US) in a retail store? I live in New York and I went to the Nintendo World Store today and even THEY were sold out.

NINTENDO was sold out!

Every other place I've been to has never even had it in stock yet...I've never heard of a Nintendo release being so botched...such a shame because it's being reviewed very well and its not on any shelves.

So, anyone found this on shelves? I would think Manhattan would be a bit easier to find it in but no dice (and I work too far away from Videogamesnewyork to go there on my lunch break).

#2 Posted by iceman228433 (617 posts) -

Yea it's crazy I want the hardware bundle and Game Stop is now saying Friday so who knows.

#3 Posted by Strife777 (1612 posts) -

didn't they say there was a delay because of shipping problems? Because if I'm right, you're just not going to find it at all.

#4 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

I'm sure that Nintendo wouldn't be heartbroken if you just downloaded it from them. I'm not saying they are manufacturing a shortage to drive up download sales, but their margins are certainly higher when they don't have to manufacture and ship a cartridge.

#5 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1695 posts) -
#6 Posted by Vaancor (247 posts) -

Got real lucky and got one of the last 3 copies at a local walmart. I don't know if that meant they only got 3 copies or if the Nintendo fans I know are lurking around here swapped'em all up.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Gamestop told me over the phone that my preorder will be available sometime between Wednesday and Friday. I hope it's the former.

#8 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

You could try amazon or something?

#9 Edited by Flappy (2352 posts) -

@Hailinel: Same thing here. Kinda funny how the one game that I'm really excited for also happens to be the one that gets the crazy delays.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87: I'd start checking stores again. My local Best Buy just got their copies today, and a good number of Targets have them. My local Target had one, and I picked the game up off the shelf at Best Buy. One of two copies, but still. They are appearing out there today.

I was excited I found it in a store though. I took a picture of grabbing it off the shelf. ha.

#11 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

Went in one day and they had them all in stock, I did not have any money on me at the time so I left and came back a few days later and said that they were being held because of shipping. They told me on Friday they will be back on sale.

#12 Posted by CapnThrash (145 posts) -

couldnt find it anywhere. ended up downloading it.

#13 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Yeah I found it at a local Best Buy. I got there right after the shipment came in apparantly. If you want a physical copy you may want to wait because there was a shipping problem that delayed most shipments of the game.

#14 Posted by JewishNlNJA (3 posts) -

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon last month and it still hasn't shipped from them. It's gotta be something dramatic going on because I usually get games from Amazon the day they come out or before.

#15 Posted by UltorOscariot (194 posts) -

I got a copy at Target last night. Find in store is your friend

#16 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

This game is a bestseller.

Source: this thread.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

They should be popping into more stores now. My Gamestop preorder finally came in yesterday and I was able to pick it up.

#18 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87 said:

I know it's available in the eShop but I want a physical copy (you can always resell physical)...has ANYONE found this (In The US) in a retail store? I live in New York and I went to the Nintendo World Store today and even THEY were sold out.

NINTENDO was sold out!

Every other place I've been to has never even had it in stock yet...I've never heard of a Nintendo release being so botched...such a shame because it's being reviewed very well and its not on any shelves.

So, anyone found this on shelves? I would think Manhattan would be a bit easier to find it in but no dice (and I work too far away from Videogamesnewyork to go there on my lunch break).

You'll probably hate me. I went to Nintendo World on tuesday, and I was THE guy to grab the last copy. I know that Toys R Us on 42nd got some on tuesday, call them up or check to see if they still have.

#19 Posted by Ben_H (3429 posts) -

Sold out everywhere here and isn't on Amazon. eShop it is! 

Also, those scumbag stores that sell stuff on Amazon are trying to sell it for $79.99 right now.

#20 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

@Hector said:

NINTENDO was sold out!

You'll probably hate me. I went to Nintendo World on tuesday, and I was THE guy to grab the last copy. I know that Toys R Us on 42nd got some on tuesday, call them up or check to see if they still have.

You bastard!! It's alright, can't hate on a fellow New York duder. Still haven't found it BTW, will....not...cave....must...not....download....

#21 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

@Hector said:

NINTENDO was sold out!

You bastard!! It's alright, can't hate on a fellow New York duder. Still haven't found it BTW, will....not...cave....must...not....download....

My gamestop in Brooklyn said that they'd have their shipment in tomorrow afternoon. That's totally cool, but, y'know, it's supposed to storm or something tomorrow. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I kinda feel bad that even though the DS & 3DS have sold huge numbers, mostly because it's still popular with kids, those kids (who probably aren't savvy enough to digitally download or buy from Amazon) only get exposed to the shitty shovelware that they stock in stores.

#23 Posted by Chaser324 (6742 posts) -

@Heltom92 said:

This game is a bestseller.

Source: this thread.

I hope it sells well, but the issue now is just that Nintendo's shipping snafu has led to no stores having any stock.

By checking around online, it looks like I would need to drive about 45 minutes to get to a store that has "limited stock", so right now I'm likely just going to hold out for Amazon. I would get it from the e-shop, but I've been burned by Nintendo's lack of account and download transfers in the past, so I'm hesitant to download any full retail titles.

#24 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

@Hector said:

NINTENDO was sold out!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I went to Toys R US in Times Square and they had lots of copies!

For anyone who lives/works in the Manhattan area and is looking for this game go there.

#25 Posted by Iodine (551 posts) -

See, I would be fine to eShop it but my school wifi is not 3ds compatible because of course

I was able to get on order off of target though, so there is that.

Next Wednesday though, assuming the storm (I am in philly) doesnt kill everything

#26 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87: If it wasn't for the blizzard tomorrow, I'd just stroll over to my Gamestop and get it. Unfortunately, it seems like I'll be snowed in with my copy of the game chillin' in a backroom somewhere.

#27 Posted by Cathryn (550 posts) -

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a copy in my area. None of my local stores have it in stock, and I can't get it anywhere online. I'm planning on playing Ni no Kuni first, but I'd still like to have my copy so I can start it whenever I want. Hopefully next week maybe?

#28 Edited by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

Nintendo World got a lot of them and even the 3DS bundle versions! I was pretty surprise to hear one of the staff say to me "Yeah got plenty". Got it before it started to get real bad with the weather. It nice living in New York :D

#29 Posted by Evelgest (123 posts) -

It's ridiculous that 3rd party stores are selling this for $60+ since the shipping problem. I prefer the physical media, so it's still going to be awhile until I can find it in stores. In my area Target, Walmart, Fry's, Best Buy, & Gamestop are all out. I can wait.

#30 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3114 posts) -

I just felt like reiterating how goddamned impossible it is to find a normal copy of this game in stores. I don't feel like paying someone on Amazon 80 bucks just because someone fucked up a shipment, but this long after release you'd think someone would actually have the damn thing, for sale, for the appropriate price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.