New to this type of thing, does my avatar have a default name?

#1 Posted by DTS (44 posts) -

As the title says, I've never played a Fire Emblem game.

I have played a few games in the past that allowed you to change the name of the main character, but for whatever reason there was a "real" name that everyone associated with the main character. Cloud from Final Fantasy VII is an example of what I mean.

I'm hoping to avoid renaming my character, and then having a dissonant experience from everyone else. I'd hate to be reading an article, or talking with a friend about the game, and have to constantly be reminding myself who everyone means when they say "Robin."

I started to google around about characters and names in Fire Emblem series, but there seem to be a good deal of them and I didn't want to spoil the experience of this one by reading too far into the character list and bios.

Any insight would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by smokeyd123 (335 posts) -

@DTS: Nope. On chapter 7 and no one had uttered my name thus far. Only real voice acting is in the cutscenes.

#3 Posted by DTS (44 posts) -

Thanks for the help, I was just a little concerned that I'd be using a different name than everyone else in the meta-narrative discussions.

#4 Posted by BisonHero (7065 posts) -

@DTS: Having a character that you name that is effectively designed by you has never been done before Awakening, so it's new for everybody.

For what it's worth, Robin is the default (like Link or Cloud), but that's kind of a shitty name that they picked because it works for boys and girls. The names and mythology of Fire Emblem are sometimes loosely Germanic and Western/Central European, so you could go find some obscure name that hasn't been used for hundreds of years. Or just make up an original name, because the game already does ton of that.

Seriously though, Robin is a shitty name. Your character in Awakening is meant to be more in your hands than Link or Cloud, so I really recommend you put your own stamp on the game and change the name.

#5 Posted by DonChipotle (2852 posts) -

His/her name is Enenykite.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

EnenyKite.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@DTS: Having a character that you name that is effectively designed by you has never been done before Awakening, so it's new for everybody.

For what it's worth, Robin is the default (like Link or Cloud), but that's kind of a shitty name that they picked because it works for boys and girls. The names and mythology of Fire Emblem are sometimes loosely Germanic and Western/Central European, so you could go find some obscure name that hasn't been used for hundreds of years. Or just make up an original name, because the game already does ton of that.

Seriously though, Robin is a shitty name. Your character in Awakening is meant to be more in your hands than Link or Cloud, so I really recommend you put your own stamp on the game and change the name.

Actually, that's incorrect. Shin Monshou no Nazo, the second Fire Emblem on DS, featured a player-created character as well called the Hero of Shadow.

#8 Posted by BisonHero (7065 posts) -

@Hailinel: That'll teach me to not make assumptions about games never released in my native language. :P

#9 Posted by Smokay (520 posts) -

In the first Fire Emblem game released in America(The GBA one) the default tactitian name was Mark I believe

#10 Posted by Iodine (550 posts) -

EnenyKite is canon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.