Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 19, 2012

The thirteenth game in the Fire Emblem series and the first for the 3DS. Conceived as a "greatest hits" of previous Fire Emblem ideas, it features a mix of new mechanics and older gameplay concepts.

Nintendo reveals Fire Emblem: Awakening sales data.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Long story short, according to NOA, Fire Emblem: Awakening had the best first-month sales of any entry in the franchise released in North America. It sold over 180,000 units, about 63,000 of which were through the eShop. By comparison, the previous release, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, sold about 250,000 lifetime in North America since its release in 2009.

Source

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

That's awesome news. Really glad such a profoundly well-made game sold as well as it deserved.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Still waiting for my copy to show up (shipped yesterday!). Never played a Fire Emblem game before so I have no idea what to expect when I play it. Might wait till after Luigi's Mansion to play it too.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By probablytuna

Looks good, I'll probably be picking it up when it releases here in Australia, shame it's not getting released for another month.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By confusedowl

Amazing considering how unbelievably hard it is to find. I want this game but I don't do the whole eshop thing because of the way they handle it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

And well deserved

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

awesome, go ninty!

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meepasaurus

Awesome. Curious to see how much money they make off of all the DLC.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm still working on it and playing way too much of it's DLC. I am one of the impatient that bought the eShop version. Occasionally I'll play 10 hours a week or only devote 2 a week. Still I will beat it!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel

I'm still working on it and playing way too much of it's DLC. I am one of the impatient that bought the eShop version. Occasionally I'll play 10 hours a week or only devote 2 a week. Still I will beat it!

As far as the main story goes, I only have one chapter to go, but I'm taking my time, powering up my dudes, raising strong children and feasting on the DLC. I unlocked the special version of Elincia tonight, which is pretty cool, but fell a turn short of beating Lost Bloodlines 3 (my Avatar got hit with a critical).

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

That sounds like good news. Hopefully it has legs and can pass 500,000 units. We need these types of games to sell more.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

If I was super crazy rich I would buy like, 500,000 copies of this game.

Or maybe just give $19,999,560 to Nintendo and tell them to make like 10 more of these games.

Or just start my own game company.

Yeah probably that one.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Phatmac

Great! Hope my favorite game of the year so far keeps selling well. :)

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I've really been surprised by the positive word of mouth for this game. I hadn't played a Fire Emblem game since the series first came to NA on the GBA, but all the buzz compelled me to buy Awakening. This is probably one of the best experiences I've had with a game in ages and I'm glad it's seeing some solid sales.

@hailinel said:

@the_hiro_abides said:

As far as the main story goes, I only have one chapter to go, but I'm taking my time, powering up my dudes, raising strong children and feasting on the DLC. I unlocked the special version of Elincia tonight, which is pretty cool, but fell a turn short of beating Lost Bloodlines 3 (my Avatar got hit with a critical).

Is the DLC generally worthwhile? I'm definitely willing to throw more money at Intelligent Systems if the quality of the DLC is anywhere near that of the main-game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

I've really been surprised by the positive word of mouth for this game. I hadn't played a Fire Emblem game since the series first came to NA on the GBA and all the buzz compelled me to buy it. This is probably one of the best experiences I've had with a game in ages and I'm glad it's seeing some solid sales.

@hailinel said:

@the_hiro_abides said:

Is the DLC generally worthwhile? I'm definitely willing to throw more money at Intelligent Systems if the quality of the DLC is anywhere near that of the main-game.

It is. The battles are generally a good challenge, and they offer up a huge heaping helping of fan service for fans of the series. All of the DLC battles are set in a place called the Outrealms, and your allies and opponents in most of these maps are figures from all of the previous games. There's even some good little dialogue bits with some of the old characters. For most of these battles, victory also unlocks a special version of a past Fire Emblem character (ex: Elincia, Marth) that can also be used in the rest of the game (though they can't form support relationships). Some battles also reward the player with items that can't be acquired in the base game. The difficulty of these maps also depends on which difficulty you're playing on.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Alright sounds cool. I'm not super familiar with the series beyond this game and that first NA GBA game (and SSB I guess) so the fan-service probably won't do much for me, but I'm enjoying playing the game so damn much that I'll probably buy the DLC anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dammit Nintendo why did you have to region lock this thing. I now have to wait til April to play this game.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Don't get me wrong, I like Japanese games, I also like Western games, but if some one like Square Enix, who has both a western dev, and a Japanese dev could use them both. The western to write the game, and the Japanese to make the mechanics.

Of coarse I say this not knowing how western games translate there. They may think western game storylines are just as cheeseie as I think a lot of Japanese storylines are.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker: What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

There is still a market for $40 handheld games. I just really wish Nintendo had it's act together when it came to online stuff. The friends list on the 3DS is a joke...............

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@hailinel said:

also I think that was the most confusing post I've read all week

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nice to see those kinds of numbers are considered respectable, after so much news about games selling millions of copies and being labeled failures. Not surprising that so many JRPG developers are shifting development to handhelds.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bought a 3DS just for this game. It is kind of a dumb game (dumb in a super cheesy Japanese way) but a pretty solid combat system.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@animasta said:

@hailinel said:

also I think that was the most confusing post I've read all week

Sorry, it was 3 in the morning. It had nothing to do with the topic, except the game. But the 2 other incoherent paragraphs that were about this topic lead to that idea, but I deleted them, before I posted it.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pikawai

Glad to hear that it did well in the NA, hopefully it will be the for Europe, this series deserve success and I can't wait to get it!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well big surprise here, give a game a modicum of marketing and finally get digital distribution going and of course you crush the last game's sales. This seems like the first time Nintendo actually tried to sell a Fire Emblem game to North Americans.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mwng
    @hidys said:

Dammit Nintendo why did you have to region lock this thing. I now have to wait til April to play this game.

You could play Devil Survivor while you wait... Oh, that isn't out yet either. And Etrian Odyssey doesn't even have a release date. The joys of being European 3DS owner.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#28  Edited By LordAndrew

Those eShop numbers look high. Is it because the game is so hard to get at retail?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funkasaurasrex: I'll say the price of the DLC is pretty steep considering what you're getting, but the game is so much fun that I didn't really care. I'd take a long hard look at what you're getting out of each DLC map before buying it. If all it gives you is a character that you won't recognize and probably won't use, then it might not be worth your money. The difficulty of the missions are static so the chances of them hitting that sweet spot of challenging but fair are pretty slim. More likely you'll either be getting stomped pretty hard or be the one doing the stomping.

That said, if you're really into the class/leveling/skill mechanics in the game, some of the missions are invaluable. Champions of Yore 3 gives you a book that teaches a +2 All Stats skill so, at this point, I've done that mission 45 times. Lost Bloodlines 2 gives you a scroll that turns your male characters into the Demon Fighter class and Lost Bloodlines 3 teaches you a 2x Exp skill so I'll be grinding away at those for a while as well.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StarvingGamer

Those eShop numbers look high. Is it because the game is so hard to get at retail?

I'd assume so. Because of shipping delays most retail stores didn't even get copies in until Thursday and the game came out on Monday. Anyone who really wanted the game ASAP and anyone who didn't pre-order would have been much better served picking up the game off the eShop. I know that's what I did.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice because fire emblem is so good.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Good to hear. I bought a 3DS for Awakening. I can say it was a wise purchase.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for eShop :\

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@red said:

Good to hear. I bought a 3DS for Awakening. I can say it was a wise purchase.

In the same boat. The number of digital sales would be surprising... was the absurd shortage of physical copies not so well documented. Regardless, pretty much everything Fire Emblem deserves success, which I why I bought all the DLC maps even though they are clearly overpriced (and that's with me even knowing who all those old characters are and occasionally shaking my head at one of the localization changes).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Yeah! A good game sold well.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This game is a failure. It didn't sell 5 million copies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.