So Gamestop Stopped Taking Preorders for Fire Emblem, eShop?

#1 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Gamestop.com is only taking preorders for the system bundle, and I called my local store to confirm. Its my own fault; a week ago I added it to my cart, but my wallet was in a different room and I was too lazy to get it...So I am wondering how good the eShop is compared to stuff like Steam. How easy is it to re-download retail titles? Is the download speed super low like on PS3?

Or if there are any Gamestop employees out there, do stores order extra copies besides the preorders? So if I walk in when the store opens on launch day, could I get a copy?

Although I am bummed I might have to wait to get my copy, I am happy the game seems to be popular. Hopefully if this one sells well, they will make more Fire Emblems and put them out in the west.

#2 Posted by Bocam (3809 posts) -

Why not buy it from Amazon?

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Bishna said:

Gamestop.com is only taking preorders for the system bundle, and I called my local store to confirm. Its my own fault; a week ago I added it to my cart, but my wallet was in a different room and I was too lazy to get it...So I am wondering how good the eShop is compared to stuff like Steam. How easy is it to re-download retail titles? Is the download speed super low like on PS3?

Or if there are any Gamestop employees out there, do stores order extra copies besides the preorders? So if I walk in when the store opens on launch day, could I get a copy?

Although I am bummed I might have to wait to get my copy, I am happy the game seems to be popular. Hopefully if this one sells well, they will make more Fire Emblems and put them out in the west.

There is all ways a chance they will get sent more. Or someone will cancel their copy. 
#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@Bishna said:

I'd say probably not- well, especially if it's a not-quite-mainstream japanese game. I walked in looking for a copy of Persona 4 Arena launch day, there were two copies sitting on the shelf behind him, but the guy said "sorry, those are for pre-orders" and didn't have a copy to sell me. I'd stick with Amazon, personally.

#5 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

@Bocam: Amazon says that preorders may experience shipping delays, so it seems they are having the same problem. Also, I have enough credit at Gamestop to pay for the whole game, or eShop gift cards to get it digitally.

#6 Posted by Bocam (3809 posts) -

@Bishna: The only reason they're saying that is because the game is coming out on a Monday. Not because they have a limited quantity.

#7 Edited by bybeach (4978 posts) -

@Bishna said:

@Bocam: Amazon says that preorders may experience shipping delays, so it seems they are having the same problem. Also, I have enough credit at Gamestop to pay for the whole game, or eShop gift cards to get it digitally.

Amazon hasn't been quite like they used to be on a few fronts. Still that would have been my throw out comment, but I'm not suprised by your experience. They at least are not carrying disks quite like they used to....money talking somwhere's. And in my world, they want you looking at their dl, also.

#8 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (713 posts) -

I downloaded Super Mario 3D Land and the process didn't take more than about ten minutes. I consider it very convenient to have the game on my 3DS regardless of what game I have in the cartridge slot. I've not tried redownloading the game, however.

#9 Edited by OmegaChosen (646 posts) -

The Gamestops around here always order a few extra copies of games no matter what, though I live in a rather large city so there's that. I've always been able to walk in no matter what and they'll usually have an unowned copy to sell, unless it was a huge deal game or something.

Barring that, I'm pretty sure retail stores like Walmart and Target would have it stocked as well and usually without any competition to get them since no one really ever goes there for games. Heck, they'll occasionally slip up and release games a week early just because they couldn't care less, which is why I'm going to take a quick peek in my local Walmart on Tuesday to see if I'm so lucky.

The eShop seemed pretty fast with the demo. Can't imagine the full game would be too slow.

#10 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Target has free shipping on pre-orders.

#11 Posted by jjm494 (84 posts) -

@OmegaChosen: It's not so much that they order extra copies, it's that they're sent. While a big emphasis is placed on pre-orders, if corporate has enough in their allocations, they ill send extra copies to sell to walk-ins on release day. Even if there aren't extra, for most triple AAA releases that garner more than a couple hundred reserves, most store managers won't hesitate to sell a copy to walk-ins. The odds of running out of everyone coming to pick up their reserve copy of the new call of duty or madden before the next shipment arrives is slim to none.

However, that most likely won't be the case with Fire Emblem, a much smaller title than the previous two mentioned. Someone did try to pre-order the game and not the system bundle last night. The game wasn't coming up in our reserve list. Most likely, that means all of Game Stop's allocation has been pre-ordered.

#12 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -

Best buy will have a bunch of copies for walk ins.

#13 Posted by Cramjomlin (61 posts) -

@Bishna said:

I am a GameStop emplyee, unfortunately, and we received an email about a week ago, stating that GameStop has reserved through our allotment from Nintendo. A second shipment is entirely possible, but unconfirmed at this point. All I know is that every copy that we get on day one will be reserved for someone.

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Cramjomlin

@Bishna said:

I am a GameStop emplyee, unfortunately, and we received an email about a week ago, stating that GameStop has reserved through our allotment from Nintendo. A second shipment is entirely possible, but unconfirmed at this point. All I know is that every copy that we get on day one will be reserved for someone.

So is that GameStop in general?
#15 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

@Cramjomlin: Man that sucks, guess I'll just have to go to meijer or something on day one to get a copy. Really wish I could have used my credit. Thanks for letting me know though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.