Tharja's Censorship in Summer Scramble DLC

Posted by takashichea (355 posts) -

In the North American and Europe's Summer Scramble DLC, Tharja is the only one out of the group to have her swimsuit censored.

In related news, there is another censorship issue with Nowi and Tharja's Harvest Scramble conversation. This only occurs in the European's version of the game.

Here are some shots from the Summer Scramble DLC of the other characters who are left unchanged.

Sources

#1 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Your.... boingy bits?

Dear god. And people say we are assholes when we look down on this shit. I mean come on.

PS, that guy has a really flat ass.

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: He's a 2D cartoon. Of course it's flat. Theres no Z dimension.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -

Scandalous.

#4 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
#5 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

I see more "sex" than that on TV during the day.

#6 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -

Your.... boingy bits?

Dear god. And people say we are assholes when we look down on this shit. I mean come on.

As an owner of a flat ass I object to your insinuation that all asses have a z-axis. For too long has the existence of the flat ass been left out in video games, this is just the beginning of a new era where asses of all sizes will be shown in video games. Frankly your Anti zero ass mentality makes me sick.

#7 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

The edited version seems more provocative to me.

Maybe i'm just a freak.

#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

TOO LEWD!

#9 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@damswedon: In the 3D I work in, Z is up and down, not depth. If your ass is lacking any Z mass, you're fucked.

#10 Edited by damswedon (3196 posts) -

@damswedon: In the 3D I work in, Z is up and down, not depth. If your ass is lacking any Z mass, you're fucked.

FUCK! Well it seems like I have some problems with this comedy bit, but hey, that's why we workshop this stuff.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

Censored version makes it easier to imagine her not wearing anything at all.

So that's funny.

#12 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

I'd censor it all tbh, seems like everyone in the game has caught a severe case of noassatall syndrome.

#13 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

Reminds me of "bubbling" which I think is kinda hot.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

They also edited out her sparkles, which, I think I can speak for everyone when I say, I heavily object to.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Maybe i'm just a freak.

Nah, you're right. Covering it up like they did makes it seem like she's got nothing on. It's ridiculous censorship, but I find it more funny than aggravating.

But I do feel that North America got the better end of Nowi's dialogue. :P

#17 Posted by Brendan (7843 posts) -

Maybe i'm just a freak.

Naw, I get it.

#18 Edited by AuthenticM (3761 posts) -

Maybe i'm just a freak.

It would if we couldn't see her panties, but we can.

#19 Edited by Turambar (6810 posts) -

Am I the only one more annoyed by the fact that Tharja wears red apparently? That doesn't seem to fit her character at all.

#20 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -

Your.... boingy bits?

It fits right in with her character. Nowi has a knack for using as dumb a vocabulary set as possible.

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11914 posts) -

Rated T for Teen folks. Also, this has reminded me that I am behind on my Fire Emblem DLC. Better get back on that train stat.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@turambar said:

Am I the only one more annoyed by the fact that Tharja wears red apparently? That doesn't seem to fit her character at all.

Well, it is the color of blood. Either that or they just didn't have black in her size.

#23 Posted by LiquidPrince (16009 posts) -

Censorship... so lame.

#24 Posted by LassieME (232 posts) -

So Moe?!

#25 Posted by StarvingGamer (8376 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@turambar said:

Well, it is the color of blood. Either that or they just didn't have black in her size.

I dunno, isn't it a pretty common anime trope for females to have out-of-character beachwear?

@hughesman said:

Maybe i'm just a freak.

Yeah but I like to imagine that in the American version she's wearing a thong or something instead, because now I can. Thanks NOA!

#26 Posted by golguin (3965 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@turambar said:

I dunno, isn't it a pretty common anime trope for females to have out-of-character beachwear?

@authenticm said:

@hughesman said:

Maybe i'm just a freak.

Yeah but I like to imagine that in the American version she's wearing a thong or something instead, because now I can. Thanks NOA!

Yes, it's a common trope to have anime girls with out of character beachwear. Yoko from Gurren Lagann barely wears anything in her normal clothes, but during the beach episode she actually covers up more and the rest of the characters pointed that out during the episode.

#27 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Weird. I wonder who brings these things up during the localization. Do they get a call from ESRB or do they have someone in-house making sure that...something?

#28 Edited by casper_ (907 posts) -

it doesn't seem like much of a change or anything too drastic, she isn't wearing a nun's habit (although im pretty sure that is some other kind of anime fetish) but the whole concept of this bikini clad anime girl in your fantasy game and the situation that i'd imagine it would arise from seems really fan service-y/pandering in a way i'm kind of distrustful of.

#30 Edited by LackingSaint (1833 posts) -

Just so that they can make sure to add a disclaimer on the box:

"Don't worry kids, no buttcracks here"

#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

/shrug

#32 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Censorship is never good. Totally pointless.

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -

First they take our anime asses then they take our freedom! WHERE DOES IT END?!

#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

You should be fucking thanking them, adding that towel added some much needed foreground to the composition which means for you the customer... MORE 3D SCREEN POPPING GRAPHICS!.

It jus go to sho dat gamers to day err fackin poosees. no fackin azz in game? FACKIN BULLSHEET.

Also yes, thank you Roman Bellic.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (5809 posts) -

Finally, a thread about Tharja's booty.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

I heard people calling for NoA's head on a spike (both figuratively and literally) and THIS is all it is?
good grief.

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

I demand a towel cover up that guy's abs. Also he should be deported from Muslim countries.

#39 Edited by takashichea (355 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@turambar said:

In the DLC, I heard Anna picked out the swimsuit for Tharja because Anna thought it would look good on her.

#40 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

I demand a towel cover up that guy's abs. Also he should be deported from Muslim countries.

Oh god, I had to make sure I wasn't somehow on the Onion when I first read that story.

#41 Posted by madman356647 (326 posts) -

@animasta said:

I heard people calling for NoA's head on a spike (both figuratively and literally) and THIS is all it is?

good grief.

Yup. Much ado about nothing. I feel like this is the next "gaming scandal" for people to latch onto.

#42 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Gotta say, after those screenshots my boingy bits definitely aren't lacking in the z-axis. If you know what I mean.

#43 Posted by Crysack (327 posts) -

Weird. I wonder who brings these things up during the localization. Do they get a call from ESRB or do they have someone in-house making sure that...something?

Every Capcom division has its own idea when it comes to censorship and content. It has pretty much always been the same with Nintendo too - except that, generally speaking, issues rarely come up given the content of your typical Nintendo game (the only example I can think of is Double Dragon and Nintendo America).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.