What should I know about Fire Emblem before playing this?

• 68 results
#51 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (679 posts) -

@OmegaChosen said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

@peachesrcool said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle: GO FINISH IT NOW WHILE YOU WAIT

I actually picked up Shadow Dragon after reading through this thread. So fantastic.

You enjoying it? I never bothered to finish it myself. I just found it kinda...bland. The art style and lack of support conversations definitely didn't help win me over either. :/

What do you mean lack of support conversations? The characters I've interacted with have been able to communicate with certain characters they're juxtaposed with. Given that it's a port/upgrade of a very old game, I'm fairly satisfied with it. At the very least it has rekindled the Fire Emblem....fire inside of me.

#52 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

@OmegaChosen said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

@peachesrcool said:

I actually picked up Shadow Dragon after reading through this thread. So fantastic.

You enjoying it? I never bothered to finish it myself. I just found it kinda...bland. The art style and lack of support conversations definitely didn't help win me over either. :/

What do you mean lack of support conversations? The characters I've interacted with have been able to communicate with certain characters they're juxtaposed with. Given that it's a port/upgrade of a very old game, I'm fairly satisfied with it. At the very least it has rekindled the Fire Emblem....fire inside of me.

I mean the types of conversations you get in Fire Emblem 7 and Fire Emblem 8, the ones where you have characters stand next to each other for a number of turns and eventually they get conversations and support bonuses. Some characters get conversations, sure, but they're infrequent and not tied to any bonus system. I liked them in FE7 and 8 because they helped flesh out these characters and brought more personality and backstory to these units I was using that I didn't get from just the main storyline. Not to mention everyone had conversation options, not just a select few in certain chapters.

I suppose I was spoiled a bit by these games since Shadow Dragon just seems sorta bland to me in comparison. That has a lot to do with it being a remake of an old game yes so I can't fault it too terribly but I just couldn't get into it like I could FE7, 8, and 9. It's great that you are able to enjoy it though, I just personally liked that extra characterization in the later games.

I heard Light & Shadow, the sequel to Shadow Dragon, had support conversations added in but it never got released stateside. >_<

#53 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (679 posts) -

@OmegaChosen said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

@OmegaChosen said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

@peachesrcool said:

I mean the types of conversations you get in Fire Emblem 7 and Fire Emblem 8, the ones where you have characters stand next to each other for a number of turns and eventually they get conversations and support bonuses. Some characters get conversations, sure, but they're infrequent and not tied to any bonus system. I liked them in FE7 and 8 because they helped flesh out these characters and brought more personality and backstory to these units I was using that I didn't get from just the main storyline. Not to mention everyone had conversation options, not just a select few in certain chapters.

I suppose I was spoiled a bit by these games since Shadow Dragon just seems sorta bland to me in comparison. That has a lot to do with it being a remake of an old game yes so I can't fault it too terribly but I just couldn't get into it like I could FE7, 8, and 9. It's great that you are able to enjoy it though, I just personally liked that extra characterization in the later games.

I heard Light & Shadow, the sequel to Shadow Dragon, had support conversations added in but it never got released stateside. >_<

Yeah, I've only ever played Shadow Dragon and the first English release on the GBA, so I can't speak to how it lacks in comparison. It's still a mighty fine tactical RPG, however.

#54 Posted by Spoonman671 (4558 posts) -

Here's an important tip: The game is going to give you a super powerful character within the first few missions. Do not use this character as a one-man army. Have them follow behind your weak characters and only attack with them if one of your other characters is in danger of dying. The early game super-units almost always end up being the weakest high-level characters late in the game, so it's important to not let them soak up the limited pool of exp available in the game by having them kill everybody.

@Vonocourt said:

So the gamestop near me has the wii game for forty bucks used. Never played a Fire Emblem, should I pick it up?

No! Go get Path of Radiance instead.

#55 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle: Indeed. Mechanically it's a Fire Emblem game through and through and I always enjoy Fire Emblem. I suppose it was just sort of like having a cupcake with frosting and sprinkles as my first dessert and then later getting just a plain cupcake. Still good but I miss the frosting.

@Spoonman671 said:

Here's an important tip: The game is going to give you a super powerful character within the first few missions. Do not use this character as a one-man army. Have them follow behind your weak characters and only attack with them if one of your other characters is in danger of dying. The early game super-units almost always end up being the weakest high-level characters late in the game, so it's important to not let them soak up the limited pool of exp available in the game by having them kill everybody.

@Vonocourt said:

So the gamestop near me has the wii game for forty bucks used. Never played a Fire Emblem, should I pick it up?

No! Go get Path of Radiance instead.

Path of Radiance is probably a better buy than Radiant, since going cold turkey into Radiant would be rather off-putting, spoil the end of PoR, and be a bit more on the steep side of the learning curve. Getting to know the characters in PoR will also get you more invested when they show up again in Radiant.

A tip: Use your lord. This might seem blatant to others here but the first time I played through Fire Emblem I entirely neglected Eliwood and when it came time to promote him he was something like level 6, leaving me to realize that perhaps neglecting the guy I'm forced to bring into every chapter probably wasn't a smart decision. So yeah...don't do what I did.

As others have said, the first Fire Emblem for the GBA is best for getting into the series. It was designed with international audiences who had never seen the series before in mind and comes with a long form prologue that slowly introduces you to the mechanics of the series.

#56 Posted by BBAlpert (1369 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

A character most identifiable with a franchise?

By your definition, Amuro Ray or Char Aznable could be Gundam's mascot instead of Haro.

So no.

Who's Haro? Also, clearly the mascot of the Gundam franchise(s) is the titular protagonist, John P. Gundam.

#57 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

A character most identifiable with a franchise?

By your definition, Amuro Ray or Char Aznable could be Gundam's mascot instead of Haro.

So no.

Who's Haro? Also, clearly the mascot of the Gundam franchise(s) is the titular protagonist, John P. Gundam.

If only there was an online database of some sort that could provide that answer...

#58 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

I was the same with XCOM :( As soon as one character died, I restarted the battle. I know, it's the wrong way to play it but I just couldn't let them die! :(

I'm still unsure about Fire Emblem, I have never played it either but it does look interesting. Maybe I will try the demo out first!

#59 Posted by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

@HeyImPhoenix said:

I was the same with XCOM :( As soon as one character died, I restarted the battle. I know, it's the wrong way to play it but I just couldn't let them die! :(

I'm still unsure about Fire Emblem, I have never played it either but it does look interesting. Maybe I will try the demo out first!

Do it! I feel like there's comfortable space for player crossover between XCOM and Fire Emblem. Which is to say, if you liked how XCOM played, there's a fair chance you'll like Fire Emblem too.

#60 Posted by Forderz (247 posts) -

@Superkenon: what if you liked XCOM, but only on ironman?

will I fuck myself over by letting 3-5 people die as I play on hard for my virginal playthrough?

#61 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

@Forderz said:

will I fuck myself over by letting 3-5 people die as I play on hard for my virginal playthrough?

XCOM on ironman is basically what Fire Emblem on Classic is, in terms of not being able to redo things in battle and permanently losing units. I mean, you can start over the mission to keep someone from dying but you'll have to restart the mission obviously whereas in casual mode you can make map saves and restart from those points and units that die come back after the battle ends. If you're looking for Classic Ironman-like difficulty, Lunatic might be better though it's a rather large jump from Hard to Lunatic and for a while it'll be your Jeigan/Oifey(read:higher level character that won't die in one hit from enemies) doing most everything, with your other characters whittling the occasional experience points from his leftovers whenever it's safe.

Most people don't like letting even one character die in Fire Emblem but that's mainly because each character is a unique individual with their own history and personality and the capability to fall in love with other characters. Losing 3-5 characters will not screw you over, as I believe you get upwards of 30-ish characters and thus will have spares, but most people just don't want to lose even one. You could theoretically lose every last character, save for the required Lord and Avatar, and still be able to move forward by replenishing your ranks with characters off of the Streetpass and Spotpass systems, who are similar to the storyline units but without character development.

#62 Edited by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

@Forderz said:

The other fella pretty much covered it. I've personally never effed it up so bad that a playthrough became entirely hopeless... but losing your heroes that you've spent so much time, money, and experience on is a huge blow, and it can happen easily. Training a replacement character is a big deal, since all of your resources are limited, and it's not like you can replay maps for exp (at least in most of the games). I feel like you could absolutely get yourself stuck if things go too wrong too fast. Not sure about how all this StreetPass stuff works, but it doesn't seem right to roll with any crew but your own. I know I won't be bothering with it. (As though I'll ever walk by someone with a 3DS where I live.)

Anyway, beyond just the loss of a good unit, Fire Emblem does a better job than any other tactics game I know of at getting you invested in and caring about the units themselves -- so it's a huge bummer when they die, even emotionally. I mean... Forde had plans after the war! He was going to pick up the brush, get back to painting... and he and Eirika were going to... *sniff* I... I have to go.

No doubt Fire Emblem is a hardcore game though, so if that's what you're into, then you've come to the right place.

#63 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

How good are the stories in these games? Are they just there as an excuse for gameplay? Or do they stand on their own?

#64 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11474 posts) -

@Bocam: In some cases, yes. In other cases... no. I'm not going to call most of them Story of the Year worthy or anything, but the writing and localization is usually solid enough.

#65 Posted by peachesrcool (75 posts) -

@Bocam: eh, I think the best story's are in Path of Radiance(9) and Fire Emblem(NA)(7) but there okay at best. Fire Emblem isn't what I go to for a story, it's where I go to for the Characters.

#66 Posted by Flappy (2127 posts) -

@Superkenon said:

@Forderz said:

(Words to live by in the FE series)

Duder right 'ere hit it right on the nose. As a person that recently finished FE 12 ('Twas a nice way to psyche myself up for Awakening), I know how easy it is to get invested in certain characters. Whether it's their personality or how attractive/badass they are, these little mass murderers always find a way into my heart.

Unfortunately, the RNG can always say, "Fuck you, bud. You want this magician to be a total badass? Too bad! I'll give her a magic increase once every 3 levels and I'll refrain from blessing her with speed. Have fun benching her down the stretch." I'm practically heartbroken when that shit happens, but if I have some stat-boosting items in my inventory, I may throw some in their direction and save them from their fate. Hilariously enough, all of that means nothing when the enemy gets a lucky hit/crit and totally stomps one of your squishier units, effectively forcing me to restart the map from the beginning.

I love this series.

#67 Posted by SupernormalStep (203 posts) -

I'm usually a person who will restart a battle ONLY if I'm like "but I REALLY liked that character!"

Final battle of one of the games though, I found I was only prepared enough to beat it if nearly everyone died in the process. It was my Fire Emblem suicide mission.

#68 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

marth

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.