New Fire Emblem on the way

#1 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

The month before E3 tends to be the start of the gaming news trickle, and 2010  appears to be no different.  It has been announced that the DS will be getting another Fire Emblem, to go along with Shadow Dragon, which hit the States last year. Like Shadow Dragon, the story follows the popular Marth character that we all know so well from Smash Brothers, and like Shadow Dragon, the original release of this game (back in 94 on the SNES) was a Japan-Only release. No gameplay is shown in the trailer, but I don't think we can expect much to change :P
 
  

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18893 posts) -

Good news for fans of the series.

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

I love FE but I missed the last installment..was it any good?

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -
@luce: It was decent, despite some entirely questionable design choices. (i.e. Gaiden chapters requiring you to do poorly, the entire class swap feature, the art style kinda sucks). It's not the best game in the series by any means, but it's not the worst either. It's worth getting.
 
As for this game, it makes sense that they would do book 2 of FE3, being a direct sequel to the first game, but as someone who staunchly believes that Fire Emblem didn't become great until Seisen no Keifu (yes, that game that Video Game King is always citing), it's a bit of a bummer to see them not going for the best stuff first. Or, y'know, they could make an entirely new game.
#5 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I love Fire Emblem. It's grown on me so much. I'm just starting Shadow Dragon, and while I like how it's simplified the core game down but still made it serviceable for this day and age, the new sprites are terrible! The character portraits are great but the sprites! Agh, they're terrible. Battle animations for the GBA games were ridiculously awesome, but these are just pretty eh.
 
Enough of my off-topic ranting-any Fire Emblem is good Fire Emblem. Looking forward to it.

#6 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" @luce: It was decent, despite some entirely questionable design choices. (i.e. Gaiden chapters requiring you to do poorly, the entire class swap feature, the art style kinda sucks). It's not the best game in the series by any means, but it's not the worst either. It's worth getting.  As for this game, it makes sense that they would do book 2 of FE3, being a direct sequel to the first game, but as someone who staunchly believes that Fire Emblem didn't become great until Seisen no Keifu (yes, that game that Video Game King is always citing), it's a bit of a bummer to see them not going for the best stuff first. Or, y'know, they could make an entirely new game. "
I wouldn't be shocked if Seisen no Keifu came next
#7 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Oh good, now I have another chance to actually get into the series... right?

#8 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Snipzor said:
" Oh good, now I have another chance to actually get into the series... right? "
I suppose, though you've had ample opportunity already -_-
#9 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Snipzor said:
" Oh good, now I have another chance to actually get into the series... right? "
I suppose, though you've had ample opportunity already -_- "
Arg, I know! Stop reminding me.
#10 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@luce said:
" I love FE but I missed the last installment..was it any good? "
Which one? Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, which was the last new game.
 
Or Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon for the DS, which was a remake of the very first game with updated gameplay and graphics?
 
The Wii one was seen as really hard, but people seemed to like it.
 
Shadow Dragon is perfect for beginners of the series, although because it's from the 80's, people think the story sucks.
#11 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -

nice, another fire emblem. my favorite will always be the beastly hector tho.

#12 Posted by SuperKcross (89 posts) -

I thought the story was alright for Shadow Dragon but the lack of support conversations made me not as attached to the characters as the gba games. It was the first fire emblem where i felt fine to let a dude die. I suspect this new one will be the same.

#13 Posted by fallen_elite (380 posts) -
 
 I'm fine with the remakes as long as it's at least as good as Shadow Dragon which I thought was fine.  
 
@TheFreeMan said:

" I love Fire Emblem. It's grown on me so much. I'm just starting Shadow Dragon, and while I like how it's simplified the core game down but still made it serviceable for this day and age, the new sprites are terrible! The character portraits are great but the sprites! Agh, they're terrible. Battle animations for the GBA games were ridiculously awesome, but these are just pretty eh.  Enough of my off-topic ranting-any Fire Emblem is good Fire Emblem. Looking forward to it. "

 
I agree the characters sprites were pretty shitty. The battle animations looked a little out of place too. 
#14 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

While I am always open to a new Fire Emblem game, does anyone else prefer the mechanics of Sacred Stones over Shadow Dragon? 
I mean, this game better have support, and not reward the player for killing off their characters.

#15 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

i hope they get rid of the swap what class the person is... its to complicated :P i liked the real old ones on the gba. (my 1st or 2nd most played game... its tied with gold version.)

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -
@Red said:
" While I am always open to a new Fire Emblem game, does anyone else prefer the mechanics of Sacred Stones over Shadow Dragon? I mean, this game better have support, and not reward the player for killing off their characters. "
Among the deep, dark recesses of the Fire Emblem fan community Sacred Stones is a bad word. I tend to agree. It was too easy, offering infinite grinding, weak enemies and strong player characters. It's basically the polar opposite of Thracia 776. Oh, and don't forget that in the cases of branched promotions one class was usually (always) better than the other. It's actually a throwback to FE Gaiden, the second game which conveniently also holds black sheep status. But yeah, the gaiden chapters only being accessible if you had less than X amount of characters in your army was pretty fucked up and if they do something similar in this game I won't be pleased.
#17 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

As long as I don't hafta start every single fight over cause of cheap deaths from enemies that appear behind me 20 minutes into a battle, count me in :D

#18 Edited by Turambar (6641 posts) -

From the looks of it, it's going to be the remake of Book 2, the second half of FE3.  Shadow Dragon was FE1 as well as Book 1 of FE3.
 
And yes, bring back support convos please.  Its implementation in Geneology of Holy War as well as the two GBA games was a huge boon to the quality of the game.  As good as Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were, the lack of a support system was greatly missed by me.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@Red said:
" While I am always open to a new Fire Emblem game, does anyone else prefer the mechanics of Sacred Stones over Shadow Dragon? I mean, this game better have support, and not reward the player for killing off their characters. "
Support Conversations weren't in Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Ken.  There was no reason to expect them to appear in Shadow Dragon, which actually received a major overhaul of its mechanics in the transition from the Famicom to the DS.  The story and characters are fairly simple, but it still managed to age fairly well, thanks in part to the excellent localization that Shadow Dragon received.
#20 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -

Actually, what I'm really curious about is what they'll add to the game's story.  When they made Monsho no Nazo, the story of the original game was actually condensed and they removed a number of stages and characters.  They'll probably have a lot of room to flesh things out this time around if the remake is purely going to be the events of Book 2.

#21 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

The only two Fire Emblem games I beat were Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. "I like Ike!"

#22 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" The only two Fire Emblem games I beat were Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. "I like Ike!" "
And Radiant Dawn was balls-hard insane.  Shadow Dragon was a relative breeze compared to a lot of what I faced in the Wii Fire Emblem.
#23 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: I do get that, but I've just always found Sacred Stones to just have a better selection of characters and classes (I.E. Recruits). Maybe it is because I'm not the best Fire Emblem player, but I don't see how giving players the option to grind without being in fear of restarting your chapter is that huge of a problem. 
 
I also don't see why they couldn't add Support into the port.
#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Actually, what I'm really curious about is what they'll add to the game's story.  When they made Monsho no Nazo, the story of the original game was actually condensed and they removed a number of stages and characters.  They'll probably have a lot of room to flesh things out this time around if the remake is purely going to be the events of Book 2. "
I have a feeling that it's definitely going to be just Book 2. However, as I recall, that Book was pretty long, too; there were, like, 4 end chapters on top of the original 20. I imagine the most we'll get are some gaiden chapters.
#25 Posted by TissueShoe (46 posts) -
I've never been less excited for a new Fire Emblem game. Of all the games out in America, Shadow Dragon was easily my least favorite, because while it brought FE to the DS it also felt caught in the past, especially in terms of story. The story wasn't terrible, but the dialogue and presentation of the plot was utter weak sauce compared to Path of Radiance or the first GBA Fire Emblem (in America). Hopefully this will be better than Shadow Dragon though.
#26 Posted by Thunderstarter (82 posts) -

Another rehashed import? Give me a break. The last good Fire Emblem game was Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn wasn't that great (the import your saved game feature was total letdown) and Shadow Dragon was a poorly and questioningly designed remake of a game that never should've made it to the U.S.  
 
You know what would sell? A remake of FE6 released in the U.S. You know, the one with Roy, it actually had a good story, sprites, and gameplay. Everybody wants the Roy one after Super Smash Brothers Melee I'm sure, and since we got Marth, I'm sure Roy is a very suitable character to come to the U.S.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.