Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fire Emblem

Franchise »

A strategy RPG franchise developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. It is known for its emphasis on character development and concept of permanent character death.

New to Fire Emblem: Which one?

jasonlblair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By jasonlblair

Hey everyone,

I'm a big fan of Advance Wars who stumbled upon Fire Emblem after seeing the two compared repeatedly. I have never played Fire Emblem but would love to give the series a try. I prefer to play strategy games on handhelds (easier to find time for me on a handheld). Which Fire Emblem game for the DS would you recommend as the best/most emblematic of the series? Are there any other games similar to Fire Emblem you would recommend in addition to or instead of? Any information is appreciated.

Best,

Jason L Blair

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kashif1

Fire emblem (technically fire emblem 7 but it was the first to release here) for the gameboy best shows the character interactions the series is famous for. Sacred Stone, from what I have played of it, has an alright story and is an easier game. Shadow Dragon for the ds is a remake of fire emblem one, the gameplay is solid as ever but the characters are no where near as fell defined as in the gameboy games.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By imhungry

Well considering you said for the DS, then it'd have to be FE1 (Shadow Dragon). But for a newcomer, FE7(Fire Emblem, for the GBA) was specifically designed with newcomers to the series in mind so I'd definitely recommend that as a starting point if you have the capability to play it. But as far as DS games go it'd be Shadow Dragon, which is a much different style of game compared to where the series has developed to at this point so it might not be the best representation.

jasonlblair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By jasonlblair

GBA is fine as well since I can play it on my DS. Think I'll hunt down Fire Emblem for the GBA and check it out.

Thanks for the information! Any other series I should put my eyes on?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.