Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 15, 2005

Fire ProWrestling Returns is a wrestling game for wrestling enthusiasts in a series that has spanned many sequels.

Best wrestling game of all time?

CrazyCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By CrazyCraven

So is Fire ProWrestling Returns the greatest wrestling game of all time?

I'd love to see an XBLA or a new fully HD version released, but i can't see that happening. 

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BigDo6

I heard about this game from http://www.smartwrestlingfan.com/, I tried it and was completely stone-walled by the uber-complicated menus and combat system. Is it really that good?  What am I missing if I don't end up finishing it? Basically if you have the time and inclination sell me on playing it. :) I am a huge fan of the science and art of pro-wrestling (if you believe either exist) and I really don't want to miss out on an authentic game version of it.

sudbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By sudbuster
    BigDo6 said:
    "

I heard about this game from http://www.smartwrestlingfan.com/, I tried it and was completely stone-walled by the uber-complicated menus and combat system. Is it really that good?  What am I missing if I don't end up finishing it? Basically if you have the time and inclination sell me on playing it. :) I am a huge fan of the science and art of pro-wrestling (if you believe either exist) and I really don't want to miss out on an authentic game version of it.

"
    I don't blame you by being confused by the menus. FPR has probably the worst menu system I've ever seen. The gameplay is a lot of fun though once you get the hang of it. It's timing based as opposed to being based on button mashing. Basically, all you need to know when starting out is that to start a grapple you just have to walk into your opponent, once that happens both wrestlers will have a grappling animation. The guy who actually does a move is based on who hits the button first once the two wrestlers actually touch in the grappling animation. I think there's also a bit of a smack or click sound, but I just time it off the animation. It takes a bit of practice on the lower difficulty settingss but once you get the hang of it it's a lot of fun. There's a lot of other little things you sort of just have to know to use, and a lot of them aren't that neccessary if you just want to play random matches. If you want to know more I suggest browsing the complete PDF guide from http://www.fireproclub.com/fprusa.html.
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By logson

My friend and I had endless fun with a game called WWF No Mercy for the Nintendo 64. That game was stupid, ridiculous fun.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DarkLegend

I liked Here comes the Pain for the PS2.

LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By LAMP

I don't think it's the greatest wrestling game of all time, since that would mean the game play is exceptionally fun, which it's not. I do think it's the game that best represents wrestling, though, and that's noteworthy on it's own. I believe the game play is incidental to the creative aspect of the game, however it is necessary so you can watch what you've created. From there (and this is super nerdy) you could take your wrestlers and basically form makeshift stories around them, and watch them do battle to be the best or take revenge over getting hit with the (blank) and breaking something or whatever your mind can come up with.

Avatar image for platypusplatoon
    PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon

I've had as much, or more fun, simulating and watching matches in Fire Pro games than actually playing through them.  That the CPU logic is so incredibly in-depth and detailed allows you to give wrestlers personality and character, not just a movelist.  It's a hoot watching your characters go up against each other, and continually tweaking and editing their stats and logic so that they mimic their real-life alter egos even better.  At that point, it really turns from a game into a toy - like Lego, you can take the pieces you got in the package and create something grand and new.

I also have to mention that Fire Pro games have the best "flow" of wrestling - you could picture what you see playing out in the game really happening in a match.  No other game comes close.

That said, the AKI-developed games on the N64 were the most fun.  Especially with four players.  What I wouldn't give for a modern-day AKI game!

Falkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Falkien

Here comes the Pain and WWE smackdown vs. raw 2007 are good games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.