Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 02, 2010

A spin-off of Koei's third-person brawler series (known as "Warriors"), Ken's Rage is based on the hyper-gory post-apocalyptic action anime and manga series Fist of the North Star. You are already dead.

So, I was up until one am playing FoTNS: KR.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

I never stay up this late. This game is pretty awesome. Endlessly exploding dudes in a bloody mess never gets old, really, and I keep unlocking shit and powering Kenshiro up, so nothing ever really feels truly repetitious. 

I only have a few complaints with the game so far: 

• I wish it didn't constantly pop up the message, "save the villagers!". One, because I know what to do without them telling me, and two, it actually disrupts the flow of the game when you have one popping up every five minutes. It doesn't pop up for literally a second, it stays there to flash the next star on the small chart, so it's there for a good three seconds or so.
    • I wish the combat was a little faster, as in, they just sped up all attacks and animations for all characters by like, ten percent. Not a lot, but enough to keep a quicker pace to the combat. I'm not expecting Godhand level of speed, but something just a bit snappier would feel good. I only bring this up because the combat is a lot slower and deliberate by nature, (and less mashy), but the amount of enemies they throw at you and only giving you a small handful of quick and fierce attacks sort of encourages you to mash a little bit.
    • The story is disjointed. The monologue between chapters is neat, but beside that, they [the developer] don't seem interested in actually fleshing out the characters, their relationships, and setting up the world. Yeah, yeah, beat'em ups aren't really the type of thing to have rich stories, but the Hokuto No Ken universe is so rich in fiction, it feels weird not having the interpersonal relationships like you see in most of the media surrounding this universe.
    • There should be a way for you to learn new quick and fierce attacks, and swap them out for different combinations. Maybe this is just me being entirely spoiled by Godhand, but I really miss being able to set up different combinations of basic attacks for different purposes, even if only one or two combinations were catch-all combos.

Besides these complaints, I'm still really enjoying the game and I'm interested to go back and finish Kenshiro's story and play with all of the other characters. Thoughts? Opinions?
    Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheDeadComedian

I watched the quick look and I could only see ironic appeal in the game. How does it play? It looked pretty imprecise

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

Well, as a I described in the above post it's generally slower and more deliberate which discourages mashing, but with all of the enemies they throw at you and only giving you a small handful of attacks, they sort of encourage mashing. 

Either you play beat'em ups and like them, or you don't play beat'em ups and don't get the appeal. The appeal for me is simply the universe.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monetarydread

Thanks for the post. I've been kinda wanting a good version of a dynasty warriors game for a while now. Your post made me check up more on the game and now I am going to at least rent it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

Sounds pretty awesome.  I won't be picking the game up for a while yet, this sounds very much like the game I was expecting.  True, it would be nice if it delved deeper in the universe and fiction, but if this is on par with Dynasty Warriors:  Gundam, I shouldn't be disappointed.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Does it ever get challenging? I know they were at the very beginning of the game in the QL but they'd be taking hits and losing less than 5% of the lifebar. Between that and the whole Dynasty Warriors 'huge groups of dudes just standing around waiting for you to walk up and kill them all at once' thing I was not impressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not ready to...

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ReyGitano

I love Fist of the North Star, but my worries from watching the quicklook are that this game is too much Dynasty Warriors, and all the people explode in the same generic ways. 
    Considering the legacy of people blowing up in the anime, it just looks disappointing. Glad you're enjoying it though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " Does it ever get challenging? I know they were at the very beginning of the game in the QL but they'd be taking hits and losing less than 5% of the lifebar. Between that and the whole Dynasty Warriors 'huge groups of dudes just standing around waiting for you to walk up and kill them all at once' thing I was not impressed. "
    Yeah, it does get challenging, especially during boss fights and miniboss encounters when they end up throwing two or three enemies at you. They supply you with a block button, which I've found no use for, and also an evasive roll, which lets you can cancel out of almost everything as well as just after strikes. I wasn't using it at first and it certainly helps the gameplay out a great deal. 

@Hailinel said:
    " Sounds pretty awesome.  I won't be picking the game up for a while yet, this sounds very much like the game I was expecting.  True, it would be nice if it delved deeper in the universe and fiction, but if this is on par with Dynasty Warriors:  Gundam, I shouldn't be disappointed. "
    It delves deep when it comes to unlocking characters and they have this giant encylopedia thing where you can view a bunch of history stuff (it all unlocks), but like I said, there's not much in terms of story progression, and especially setting up the relationships and Kenshiro's story. Yeah, you get monologue before the chapters, but it's very basic stuff. 

@SlashseveN303 said:
    " I love Fist of the North Star, but my worries from watching the quicklook are that this game is too much Dynasty Warriors, and all the people explode in the same generic ways. Considering the legacy of people blowing up in the anime, it just looks disappointing. Glad you're enjoying it though. "
    I've honestly never played a Dynasty Warriors title, but I think those games are pretty slow and well, a lot like Fist Of The North Star: Ken's Rage.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm: That sounds like fairly standard Dynasty Warriors story presentation.  Stages are generally introduced through some form of narration setting up the situation, followed by a mission briefing.  Some mild story presentation occurs during the stage itself, and then it wraps up at stage's end.  The encyclopedia is also fairly standard feature of DW.  It sounds like Fist of the North Star is very much like Dynasty Warriors:  Gundam in that the story as presented is mostly for those already familiar with the source material.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter

I wish someone other than Koei had made this. It'd be 200 times better. Fuck Japan.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @keyhunter:  So Platinum Games wouldn't be able to make a good brawler?  :\

@keyhunter said:
    " Fuck Koei. "
    Fixed.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I was interested until I played the demo. The story integration seems really poor, and that's what I was most interested in since I enjoyed watching the series so much. I wish the environments weren't so damn ugly as well. I probably wouldn't pay more than $15 for it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @keyhunter:  So Platinum Games wouldn't be able to make a good brawler?  :\

@keyhunter said:
    " I love Koei. "
    Fixed. "

Fixed.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By keyhunter
    @Hailinel said:
    " @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @keyhunter:  So Platinum Games wouldn't be able to make a good brawler?  :\

@keyhunter said:
    " I love Koei. "
    Fixed. "
    Fixed. "
    Good work dudes!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @keyhunter: Giant Bomb's forums ate my edit.  Regardless, your ignorance  and ill-targeted, immature hate remains your one defining trait on these forums.  I've been playing and enjoying Koei's Warriors titles since Dynasty Warriors 3, and I await each new entry with equally strong anticipation.  Whether you like their games or not, that is no excuse to insult an entire country based on the output of one developer. 

P.S.:  Given your general disdain for all things Japanese, I'm surprised that a FIst of the North Star game would interest you in the first place.  I would have pinned you in as one of the "Anime is for jerks" sheep.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: I don't know. If they made another FoTNS title and it literally played exactly like this, I'd be disappointed.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel: I don't know. If they made another FoTNS title and it literally played exactly like this, I'd be disappointed. "

The Dynasty Warriors games have always been love-it-or-hate-it.  I know people that play them religiously, and I know people that got tired of them after only one or two installments.  I'm not going to try to convince you of any supposed glories that the series is based on, but if you're having fun with Ken's Rage, then hey, cool.  And I do hope that if a second Fist of the North Star Warriors title is produced that they do make adjustments that keep the interest of the first game's fans.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By keyhunter
    @Hailinel:  Japan keeps buying Dynasty warriors games, which leads to bad gundams mashup, which leads to bad FoTNS mashup. Hokuto no Ken deserves better.
    Also where'd you get the idea that I hate japan and anime? I've probably watched more anime than the average loser japanophile and bothered to learn to read and write the language after all! Hell I'm going there next summer.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @keyhunter said:
    " @Hailinel:  Japan keeps buying Dynasty warriors games, which leads to bad gundams mashup, which leads to bad FoTNS mashup. Hokuto no Ken deserves better. Also where'd you get the idea that I hate japan and anime? I've probably watched more anime than the average loser japanophile and bothered to learn to read and write the language after all! Hell I'm going there next summer. "

Given that stereotype, I find that hard to believe.  Also, if you watch anime, study the language, and are traveling there next year, why do you say fuck them?  Wouldn't your interest in the country, it's language and culture make you a Japanophile?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @Hailinel:  Japan keeps buying Dynasty warriors games, which leads to bad gundams mashup, which leads to bad FoTNS mashup. Hokuto no Ken deserves better. Also where'd you get the idea that I hate japan and anime? I've probably watched more anime than the average loser japanophile and bothered to learn to read and write the language after all! Hell I'm going there next summer. "
    Given that stereotype, I find that hard to believe.  Also, if you watch anime, study the language, and are traveling there next year, why do you say fuck them?  Wouldn't your interest in the country, it's language and culture make you a Japanophile? "
    He might have meant that more like, "fuck Japanese game development."
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By luce
    @Hailinel said:
    " Wouldn't your interest in the country, it's language and culture make you a Japanophile? "
    More like Japan Enthusiast. Japanophile kinda implies a blind approval of all things Japanese. 

We aren't Gameophiles. We know when something game related is ass and openly call it out
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    Given that stereotype, I find that hard to believe.  Also, if you watch anime, study the language, and are traveling there next year, why do you say fuck them?  Wouldn't your interest in the country, it's language and culture make you a Japanophile? "
    He might have meant that more like, "fuck Japanese game development." "
    I  have to wonder about that.  It's not exactly a difficult distinction to make.  Even so, it's a weak argument in itself, as one development studio is not representative of an entire country's development culture.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: I don't care enough, honestly. He's a douchebag. End of story. 

Playing this game just makes me want to go back and watch the anime.
    Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Garris

ugh 59.99 at ebgames, while I ahve a perfectly good copy of godhand sitting next to my ps3 this is going to be a renter or a price drop purchase.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By artelinarose
    @TheDeadComedian said:
    " I watched the quick look and I could only see ironic appeal in the game. How does it play? It looked pretty imprecise "
    It's for Hokuto No Ken fans. The average consumer will just be like "wait... what? Why?" when they see this game, but for huge HNK fans like me, the game is nothing but a series of nerd boners.

"oh my god im totally kenshiro and jagi is already dead oh shit im totally rei now and oh my god im cutting dudes up with my fingers and theyre sliding away in bits of out of focus discolored blood and ohmygodicantotallyusehisnantosuichokenpowerseeeeeeeeeee" was basically my thought process playing the demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.