Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fitness

Concept »

An emerging trend. The only objective? Achieve your optimum physique.

Stay Alpha - Week 2

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima
    *I know I said I wouldn't bore you guys with these updates, but it'll give you an idea of what it is I've been doing other than Street Fighter playing.This has nothing to do with video games, it's about working out. Don't read any further if you're somehow offended by working out.

Stay Alpha is the code word for getting into shape, I've been throwing it around ever since Brucie in Grand Theft Auto 4. But of course I'm doing it without the aid of "juicing up," so bare with me here. Week 1 has come and gone, and so has week 2. This is the part where I summarize what fitness-stuff I did this week.

Monday(9/28/09)

Bodyweight 100

• Prisoner Squats (20 reps)
    • Push-ups (20 reps)
    • Jumps (20 reps)
    • Neg. Chin-ups (5 reps, I know I'm that weak..)
    • Forward Lunges (20 reps)
    • Close-grip Push-ups (15 reps)

Intervals

• 30/30 x6 (30 second sprint, 30 second walk = 6 times)

Tuesday (9/29/09)

Intervals

• 60/60 x6

Wednesday (9/30/09)

Bodyweight 100

Intervals

• 30/30 x6

Thursday (10/1/09)

Intervals

• 60/60 x6, 120/60 x1

Friday (10/2/09)

Bodyweight 100

Intervals

• 30/30 x6

Saturday (10/3/09)

Endurance Run

• 1.5 Mile Run
    • 0.5 Mile Walk
    • 1.0 Mile Run

Sunday (10/4/09)

Endurance Run

• 2.0 Mile Run
    • 1.0 Mile Walk
    • 1.0 Mile Run

Notes

The endurance runs were sort of a spontaneous thing, I just wanted to see where I stood stamina-wise, so Saturday morning (around 1 am) I took my ass out in the 45 degree weather and seen if I could run a mile. I ended up running 1 1/2, and then 1 mile back to my house. Sunday is supposed to be my complete rest day, but since I technically did that run in the Saturday sleep-cycle, it’s not a problem (I’m still up as we speak, about to go to bed at 5 or 5:30 am).

I enjoy the long-style run so much that I’m going to reserve Saturday and possibly Sunday for them. I may not have lost any “weight” from week 1 to week 2, but my body is definitely reaping the rewards of my training, I couldn’t run for more than 4 minutes without feeling like I was going to drop dead a month ago.

I find that the most important thing for these runs is a steady pace, and controlling your breathing. Steady pace is simple, you run/jog at a tempo that you feel you can keep up the entire run, I might slow down like 10-15% by the end of the run, and then speed up 20% in the final stretch, but the keeping the pace as flat as possible is important. For breathing I used to think that inhaling through nose, and exhaling through mouth was the best way to go (that’s what my elementary gym teacher taught me). But I find that that’s silly, if I need more air, I breathe through my mouth, that’s the logical way to go. The beginning of the run I make sure I inhale for five or six steps, and exhale for two (this also helps me keep the same running tempo the whole way). Then at a third of a mile in or so, I start to breathe four in, two out. By the end of the first mile I struggle to keep it 4/2, but I do my best. By the end of the 2nd mile (that’s all I can do in a stretch at the moment) my breathing falls to like 3/2, and sometimes 2/2 if I have to swallow spit (gross) or drink some water. I carry a 26 oz. bottle of water with me, my house key, and nothing else. No ipod, it weighs me down and is otherwise cumbersome.

I imagine by the time the Fall is ending, I’ll have to get a gym membership, because running in sub-freezing weather and in harsh conditions like snow will probably be too much for my lungs. I am going to miss point a to point b running though, I imagine running in place on a treadmill must get pretty annoying as there’s no way to see what progress you’ve made other than a stupid digital read-out, I also like seeing the “end” of the run, when you see that stop sign at 10 mile rd. I know the run is already complete...there’s no stopping when you see the end.

As for next week, I plan to do pretty much the same thing, but I might do core and leg workout on Tuesday and Thursday, because I’m not doing any core as it stands, and that’s pretty important for running. Just think, maybe this time next year I’ll be lean as hell, and practicing for a marathon. YOU NEVER KNOW. I apologize if I've bored you guys, but this is just me now, deal. See you next week?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima
    *I know I said I wouldn't bore you guys with these updates, but it'll give you an idea of what it is I've been doing other than Street Fighter playing.This has nothing to do with video games, it's about working out. Don't read any further if you're somehow offended by working out.

Stay Alpha is the code word for getting into shape, I've been throwing it around ever since Brucie in Grand Theft Auto 4. But of course I'm doing it without the aid of "juicing up," so bare with me here. Week 1 has come and gone, and so has week 2. This is the part where I summarize what fitness-stuff I did this week.

Monday(9/28/09)

Bodyweight 100

• Prisoner Squats (20 reps)
    • Push-ups (20 reps)
    • Jumps (20 reps)
    • Neg. Chin-ups (5 reps, I know I'm that weak..)
    • Forward Lunges (20 reps)
    • Close-grip Push-ups (15 reps)

Intervals

• 30/30 x6 (30 second sprint, 30 second walk = 6 times)

Tuesday (9/29/09)

Intervals

• 60/60 x6

Wednesday (9/30/09)

Bodyweight 100

Intervals

• 30/30 x6

Thursday (10/1/09)

Intervals

• 60/60 x6, 120/60 x1

Friday (10/2/09)

Bodyweight 100

Intervals

• 30/30 x6

Saturday (10/3/09)

Endurance Run

• 1.5 Mile Run
    • 0.5 Mile Walk
    • 1.0 Mile Run

Sunday (10/4/09)

Endurance Run

• 2.0 Mile Run
    • 1.0 Mile Walk
    • 1.0 Mile Run

Notes

The endurance runs were sort of a spontaneous thing, I just wanted to see where I stood stamina-wise, so Saturday morning (around 1 am) I took my ass out in the 45 degree weather and seen if I could run a mile. I ended up running 1 1/2, and then 1 mile back to my house. Sunday is supposed to be my complete rest day, but since I technically did that run in the Saturday sleep-cycle, it’s not a problem (I’m still up as we speak, about to go to bed at 5 or 5:30 am).

I enjoy the long-style run so much that I’m going to reserve Saturday and possibly Sunday for them. I may not have lost any “weight” from week 1 to week 2, but my body is definitely reaping the rewards of my training, I couldn’t run for more than 4 minutes without feeling like I was going to drop dead a month ago.

I find that the most important thing for these runs is a steady pace, and controlling your breathing. Steady pace is simple, you run/jog at a tempo that you feel you can keep up the entire run, I might slow down like 10-15% by the end of the run, and then speed up 20% in the final stretch, but the keeping the pace as flat as possible is important. For breathing I used to think that inhaling through nose, and exhaling through mouth was the best way to go (that’s what my elementary gym teacher taught me). But I find that that’s silly, if I need more air, I breathe through my mouth, that’s the logical way to go. The beginning of the run I make sure I inhale for five or six steps, and exhale for two (this also helps me keep the same running tempo the whole way). Then at a third of a mile in or so, I start to breathe four in, two out. By the end of the first mile I struggle to keep it 4/2, but I do my best. By the end of the 2nd mile (that’s all I can do in a stretch at the moment) my breathing falls to like 3/2, and sometimes 2/2 if I have to swallow spit (gross) or drink some water. I carry a 26 oz. bottle of water with me, my house key, and nothing else. No ipod, it weighs me down and is otherwise cumbersome.

I imagine by the time the Fall is ending, I’ll have to get a gym membership, because running in sub-freezing weather and in harsh conditions like snow will probably be too much for my lungs. I am going to miss point a to point b running though, I imagine running in place on a treadmill must get pretty annoying as there’s no way to see what progress you’ve made other than a stupid digital read-out, I also like seeing the “end” of the run, when you see that stop sign at 10 mile rd. I know the run is already complete...there’s no stopping when you see the end.

As for next week, I plan to do pretty much the same thing, but I might do core and leg workout on Tuesday and Thursday, because I’m not doing any core as it stands, and that’s pretty important for running. Just think, maybe this time next year I’ll be lean as hell, and practicing for a marathon. YOU NEVER KNOW. I apologize if I've bored you guys, but this is just me now, deal. See you next week?

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dopeman

no, you stay Alpha

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

hah, endurance run, clever (no sarcasm intended)

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordofultima
    @Bigandtasty: Yeah strangely I didn't really think about that other type of endurance run until you posted that. Bad on my part I guess.
    dH3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dH3s1

Did you manage to 'stay alpha'?

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kill

>Body weight exercises and running 
    >Alpha 
    Pick one. 
    Should have stuck to SS+GOMAD like a real man. 

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.