Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fog

Concept »

Fog plays an important role in many games. In games like Silent Hill, it's an atmospheric element. In other games, it's artificially added to reduce draw distances to save memory and increase framerate.

I am sick and tired of fog being used as a sign of bad graphics.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105
    Fog can contribute to setting the tone for a setting.
    Fog can contribute to setting the tone for a setting.
    Yes, I agree that many games in the N64 era used fog to hide the fact that the hardware back then could only show a couple polygons at once.

But fog in itself is a graphical element, something that was actually hard to do back then as well. The only other alternative would be just plain up pop-up, and that's unacceptable.

Not only that, fog also was part of the artistic value of the games. It added atmosphere and tension, like in Turok 64 or Silent Hill. 

So stop yapping about "lol fog wat is this N64?", and start seeing it as an artistic element of merit. 

Fog looks so much better than those retarded depth of blur shaders anyway.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

At it's time, it didn't hamper the early Silent Hill game graphically. The fog was strictly for its atmosphere...and maybe also to masquerade some of the loading of the town. ;P
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By stephengotlost

Fog kills FPS for me and I do prefer depth of field effects.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Brunchies

Fog can be good or bad, if its used in games that shouldn't have it then it will be a sign of bad graphics. It does add atmosphere to games like Silent Hill when it is used correctly and its better then terrible pop up or anything else to make a game look worst.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tmthomsen

Depth of field is a technique to mimic the mechanics of a camera lens, and when used right, it looks pretty awesome.

Fog is sure able to set the mood in the game, but in the example image you provided, it is clear it also covers for the short view distance.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DystopiaX

and long view distance can look so, so nice. 
    Look at Oblivion/Fallout 3 when you leave the sewers/Vault. Has to be 2 of the most striking images in videogames.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Joeyoe31

Never really thought fog was that bad of a thing to be honest. But of course i didnt even know people argued about stuff like that. People who do are kinda retarded. You know?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio

Who is yapping about fog?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM
    @TMThomsen said:
    " Depth of field is a technique to mimic the mechanics of a camera lens, and when used right, it looks pretty awesome.  Fog is sure able to set the mood in the game, but in the example image you provided, it is clear it also covers for the short view distance. "
    Isn't it an effect to mimic our eyes mainly?  Focusing.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Abyssfull said:
    " At it's time, it didn't hamper the early Silent Hill game graphically. The fog was strictly for its atmosphere...and maybe also to masquerade some of the loading of the town. ;P "
    Yeah, look at Silent Hill 2 on the original Xbox.  That game looked great.  I get what your saying that it is almost a cop out, but in real life, there are a ton of times that you can't see into teh far distances either because of a haze in the air.  For what its worth, I think games have gotten better in that they are designing their worlds around the limitations usually now.  The start of 3D was rough because devs had all this space to work with at a mechanical level, but artistically, not so much.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

fog is dangerous!

you didn't save yukiko

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By tmthomsen
    @DOUBLESHOCK: I used a camera lens as an example since movies/television are closer to games than the real world. In movies and games you're able to focus your eyes on out-of-focus areas of the image; an act that is very hard if not impossible to do in the real world.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Steve_C

That picture must be from Twilight Princess, but I don't remember that scene at all. That game really left an impression on me.

Unless it's completely in line with the setting, i'd rather any portions of a game with fog to have other differences to denote the change in atmosphere too, like a shift in music. I have to say the fog in that picture doesn't look natural at all.

I suppose I also don't mind it if it brings an interesting change in gameplay playing off of the reduced visibility.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.