Cutscenes seem very framey for anyone else?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Castiel

I have been playing a bit on PS4 and I'm shocked at how framey the cutscenes and how bad the lipsyncing in the cutscenes are. Have anyone else experienced this issue or is my PS4 dying?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Bones8677

If you watched the various videos and Quick Looks, you would see that it is very framey on the PS4. It's pretty much the first thing that's mentioned in the Quick Look. Seems that all console versions are like that.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Your PS4 is fine, the cutscenes are rather rough. I actually kind of wrote this game off after seeing the cutscene quality but after seeing more of the game it has totally brought me back in.

My advice would just to be kinda deal with the cutscenes and try not to let them impact the experience too much.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to be a problem on all platforms, even with the PC version, apparently.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Castiel

Well okay then. I think I actually have to start the game over again then cause it actually took me out the game when I noticed it. Luckily I'm not that far into it. I missed a lot of the story, even though it probably isn't that great judging by what little I have seen.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got the PC version and the videos drop below 30fps. So yeah its an issue, choppy as hell videos.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eurogamer has an article up about this. I am actually quite surprised the cutscene problems made it through QA, it's on every platform too.

Moving on, performance is unbelievably disappointing across all formats during cut-scenes, where no version of the game delivers a satisfactory experience. These appear to be capped at 30fps on PC but still suffer from frequent judder that ruins any cinematic impact. On console things are considerably worse, with variable frame-rates dropping into the low 20s and below as these sequences degrade into a stuttering mess. Curiously, some scenes see the Xbox One gain a distinct advantage over the PS4 and vice versa.

The cause of the judder comes from constant uneven frame delivery, where we see some frames rendered at 16.67ms, some at 33ms and others at 50ms. What is interesting is these scenes don't appear to be rendered in real time. Instead, they appear to have been created using offline-rendered in-game assets. It seems that video playback is severely impacted by the game loading data in the background and this causes skipped frames, judder and massive variances in performance.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Not sure how they shipped the game with the cutscenes in this bad of a state. There was a video on one of the computers of some woman talking and it ran perfectly fine and the facial animation looked amazing, so it's a shame that the cutscenes run so horribly, because I bet they actually do look pretty good at a stable fps.