Pretty disappointing game so far*spoilers*

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By abendlaender

I'm only two hours or so in and so far this game has been a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge disappointment. The big draw of this game to me was that you play as an infant but so far the game hasn't utilized this in the slightest, except for the first ten minutes. Why? (Spoilers I guess) Cause I spent the next 2 hours in some sort of Tim Burton hell world, collecting items and solving boring puzzles. Problem with that (besides that it's pretty boring and not scary in the slightest) is that is doesn't matter at all that you are a two year old. It's just another weird hellish world and you have to find ways to traverse it. You are just another silent protagonist, nothing more. When I played the demo of this game I thought the whole game will be set in the "real" world and you will witness a bunch of shit without the ability to talk to anybody since you CAN'T TALK and can barley move. But so far it is a pretty standard slightly annoying "horror-ish" game with a "Find X Items while monster shows up sometimes" moments and it's not even particularly good at that. Maybe it gets better later on, I don't know how long the game is but man, what a bummer so far. And what a huge waste of potential (again: Didn't finish the game but I'm not sure I care enough at this point to play more. I'll probably play for another hour or so just to see what happenes).

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Saw a guy on twitter saying that it feels like all they did was put the camera lower to the ground, that if they left it at the normal height almost nothing would have been lost bar the first few minutes.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By abendlaender

@jesus_phish said:

Saw a guy on twitter saying that it feels like all they did was put the camera lower to the ground, that if they left it at the normal height almost nothing would have been lost bar the first few minutes.

That's a pretty acurate way to describe it. Also I just looked it up, and I'm literally five minutes away from the ending. So the game is about 90-120 minutes long, entirely takes place NOT in the real world and pretty much lacks any scares. I really can't recommand it, it's actually kinda bad now that I know that I basically finished it.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz
@jesus_phish said:

I bet the devs spent ages getting the perspective and sizes right, to cultivate that atmosphere, feel the gait of a 2 year old, etc, and it's just written off as "camera lower to the ground", as if that's how making a game works.

Not played it so, it could be an awful game... but still.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I haven't played the game, though I did watch Jim Sterling's playthrough of it on Youtube, and the story was about what I expected, given the premise. The entire game takes place in the two-year-old's imagination scarred by his interactions with his abusive drunk of a mother. The "monster" that chases you around during the game is literally the child's mother.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nasp

ive seen a decent amount of the game,and it looked really good.then again i only saw a little after the real world goes away.i can say that when it was in the real world it was really good,but the second it went into the dreamlike world it kinda lost its way it seems.so its sucks that most of the game is in dreamworld.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I'm just going to assume this game opens with a Unity logo.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@hailinel said:

I haven't played the game, though I did watch Jim Sterling's playthrough of it on Youtube, and the story was about what I expected, given the premise. The entire game takes place in the two-year-old's imagination scarred by his interactions with his abusive drunk of a mother. The "monster" that chases you around during the game is literally the child's mother.

That sounds alright.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish said:

I bet the devs spent ages getting the perspective and sizes right, to cultivate that atmosphere, feel the gait of a 2 year old, etc, and it's just written off as "camera lower to the ground", as if that's how making a game works.

Not played it so, it could be an awful game... but still.

Well, that's cause they don't use that perspective for anything. You can't blame people for saying stuff like that if it feels like that.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat it. I thought it was okay. The game isn't particularly challenging in any way. Really it comes down to whether you like the atmosphere and can put yourself into the character of a 2 year old that has suffered abuse. If you can... the game is kind of creepy.

And, yes, other than the very beginning and very end the game entirely takes place in these dream-like worlds. Basically they are parts of the real world that are distorted.

It's worth playing once, imo. It's not a long game at all. 3-4 hours maybe.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The fact that it takes place in that boring looking dream world for most of the game is really, really lame.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The fact that it takes place in that boring looking dream world for most of the game is really, really lame.

While I disagree that those areas looked boring it was not what I was coming to the game for so...pretty bummed to hear.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@evilsbane: Maybe boring was the wrong word. I just......The dream world kinda looks like those cave dungeons in Skyrim to me, and I've spent soooooooooo much time in those. Kinda never wanna see anything like that again, is all.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By handlas

You are probably referring to the outside bits. I think it's suppose to be the backyard. Some areas look pretty neat actually... and creepy. The use lighting very well at times. The trees look like the gone on forever and are all spiky. And there is a lot of the dream world that takes place inside the house as well.

That's actually the strongest thing about the game, imo. They distort the world to make you feel small and helpless. Again, though, none of the getting around or puzzle solving was difficult. I actually thought there was no failure state up until it finally happened to me at the end.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the detractors are being overly critical. Although it was not the best game ever made it was certainly what it claimed, and did it mostly well. I only have two complaints and 1 of them is justified by the premise. The controls are very clumsy, but hey you're a 2 year old so it stands to reason they would be, and the game isn't long so it also isn't painful. The other is that the prologue didn't do enough to tie into the main body of the game, while the epilogue punched you in the face with it, puzzle pieces laying around, the owls, everything right in your face, where the beginning was much less so. Not a big deal but stood out and it shouldn't have.

Otherwise I think the dreamlike nature of the bulk of the game worked well, I really liked the park area and the house area at the end. The swamp place in the middle not so much.

I also liked the touch of if you failed things a few times the game actually seemed to get scarier for that section, I noticed it in the bookshelf maze near the middle, eventually the game actually retextured itself and became nearly pitch black. Fit with the child's mind idea where something daunting becomes even more imposing in their eyes.

Also I sorta pretended I was Tommy Pickles from Rugrats the whole time. I always knew Stu was the good parent.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even know this game came out already...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ntm said:

I didn't even know this game came out already...

Yeah, it really came and went.