#1 Edited by Floobar (15 posts) -

I realize that there is a perfectly good site (qlcrew.com) that already does this here by Szlifier. Well here's another that will be left here in the API forum purgatory just to chronicle what I've done.

Full Disclosure:

I actually wanted to build this since the updated API was released in February. After using this site for many months, I've always felt some certain features were missing when attempting to browse through quick looks. So I did some initial planning and data collecting but had little programming to show for heading into mid-March when I saw what Szlifier already put together. Having already gone through a deep rabbit hole of trudging through a significant number of videos, I decided to push on and actually try to finish something for once. I needed to practice breaking things on the Internet anyways.

The Site: (http://www.therandombox.ca/giantbomb)

It's still in the primitive stages but it finally does what I basically wanted it to do since the beginning - search through videos.

Features:

• Simple text search through video names
  • Basic filter to search for any person
  • Filter by roles (lead, secondary, observer)
    • Lead: Person in charge of playing or explaining the game
    • Secondary: All people playing with the lead or taking turns with the lead
    • Observer: All people who serve as strictly a commentator during the video
  • Filter by platform (360, PS3, Wii, etc) or tags (Flight Club, game shows, etc)
  • Simple "silly" stats (role distribution, average video length, platform distribution) with graphs
  • Linkable results
  • HTML5/Flash video player that you can add either individual videos or filtered results into the playlist (100 videos maximum)
    • Reorder (drag and drop) and save your playlist for future viewing

To do list:

• Collect data on the remaining 500+ videos (whenever my bandwidth allows for it)
  • Basic filter to search by any role
  • Platform/On-camera/Tag filter (the data already exists for videos I've gone through, just need to expand the queries)
  • UI and functionality improvements
  • Stats of some sort
  • Cut down on the URL length of searches
  • Don't make sweeping routing changes minutes before showing the site (oops)

I would also like to thank Giantbomb for creating their API to allow users to play around with their data. Any comments are appreciated however, just letting it out is kind of nice for me too.

Update from the dead (13/05/2014):

• Updated layout/playlists/splash page
  • Overhauled the database and backend
  • Bolted on functionality for Chrome extension
  • Broke a bunch of stuff

Third update (12/05/2013):

• Filter by tags
  • HTML5/Flash video player with playlist capabilities

Second update (29/04/2013):

• Enabled platform and on-camera tag field for both basic and advanced filters
  • A quick glance at stats such as quick looks helmed by Drew are currently the longest by the main cast

First significant update (16/04/2013):

• It was done for a few days but I just pushed all video data to the live site
  • Added basic filtering where you can just add people without roles
  • Interface changes:
    • Ability to search, add, remove and view names you have selected for the filter (Javascript required otherwise it will gracefully degrade to the original version)
    • Also just remembered to remove the use of sessions for filtering navigation, that was probably a bad idea
    • Found out that pagination didn't really work on the live site, likely since forever. Fixed for now
#2 Posted by Szlifier (479 posts) -

OK, so we have a white version now. ;)

I'm working on adding TNT's to mine and trying to figure out a better interface. Did you made this from the ground up, or on a framework? It looks nice.

As far as linkable results go, I figured out that this whole AJAX thing isn't the best thing in the world so I'm working on that too.
I have stats going on since March 11 if you want to compare later: qlcrew.com Stats (updated daily)

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

nicely done guys

now if there was only the ability to create playlists out of these videos now,

your guys stuff would be perfect!

#4 Edited by Szlifier (479 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

nicely done guys

Isn't there? "YouTube playlist" above the results will do the job, keep in mind not every QL is on YT. There is also "Play all" - link to a player with a playlist ready, but it seems to be broken right now, I'm gonna get on that ASAP.

Edit: Looks like it works.

#5 Edited by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

@szlifier said:

@mrfluke said:

nicely done guys

Isn't there? "YouTube playlist" above the results will do the job, keep in mind not every QL is on YT. There is also "Play all" - link to a player with a playlist ready, but it seems to be broken right now, I'm gonna get on that ASAP.

ah yea i see.

yea your right not all of the stuff is not uploaded to youtube, (tried to make a youtube playlist of the funniest quicklooks list thats on the site and a bunch of those are not on youtube)

but for the other player, is that pulling data from ALL the quick looks on the site?

i would love to be nitpicky about what my playlist contains, in the sense that id want to create a custom playlist with like some videos with vinny and ryan, and some with jeff and patrick.

again super minor request, but i figured id ask :P

#6 Edited by Szlifier (479 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@szlifier said:

@mrfluke said:

nicely done guys

ah yea i see.

yea your right not all of the stuff is not uploaded to youtube, (tried to make a youtube playlist of the funniest quicklooks list thats on the site and a bunch of those are not on youtube)

but for the other player, is that pulling data from ALL the quick looks on the site?

i would love to be nitpicky about what my playlist contains, in the sense that id want to create a custom playlist with like some videos with vinny and ryan, and some with jeff and patrick.

again super minor request, but i figured id ask :P

Yes, that player gets everything. I see, a mixed playlist... this feature should be possible to make. Anyway, let's not hijack this thread, visit mine.

#7 Posted by Floobar (15 posts) -

@szlifier said:

OK, so we have a white version now. ;)

I'm working on adding TNT's to mine and trying to figure out a better interface. Did you made this from the ground up, or on a framework? It looks nice.

As far as linkable results go, I figured out that this whole AJAX thing isn't the best thing in the world so I'm working on that too.

I have stats going on since March 11 if you want to compare later:

qlcrew.com Stats

(updated daily)

Yes, right now I'm using Codeigniter with Twitter Bootstrap on top of it. User stat tracking wasn't what I was thinking of rather I wanted more "silly" statistics about the videos themselves. Just need to decide on what library to use for graphing.

@mrfluke said:

nicely done guys

At first glance, a way to do it might be a bit hackish and limited. And as stated above, with the large number of missing videos on youtube makes that method a little more complicated.

#8 Posted by Floobar (15 posts) -

So I'm going to throw up a new post anyways. I might have one remaining major update after this one but I'm actually quite pleased with what I have thus far (at least with what's visible). A lot of the backend on the other hand needs to be tightened, scripting to be cleaned up and potential interface modifications need to be made (especially visual cues to say if it site is actively doing/not doing something).

On to update 12/05/2013:

• Filter by tags - they are just mostly random things I kept track of like Secret Endurance Runs, game show shovelware, flight club, etc
  • HTML5/Flash player with playlist (100 video limit, Javascript and cookies required)

• You can add any video or any filter results directly to the playlist as long as it's fewer than 100 videos

• Add/rearrange/remove videos from the playlist

• Low or high quality toggle

• Remembers the most recent video you played

• Note: The data is stored only in sessions so however long the data stays in there may vary outside of their lifetime being set to 30 days (refreshed on every visit). Video player and layout for that page is kind of wonky when I tried it on my phone.