I realize that there is a perfectly good site (qlcrew.com) that already does this here by Szlifier. Well here's another that will be left here in the API forum purgatory just to chronicle what I've done.
I actually wanted to build this since the updated API was released in February. After using this site for many months, I've always felt some certain features were missing when attempting to browse through quick looks. So I did some initial planning and data collecting but had little programming to show for heading into mid-March when I saw what Szlifier already put together. Having already gone through a deep rabbit hole of trudging through a significant number of videos, I decided to push on and actually try to finish something for once. I needed to practice breaking things on the Internet anyways.
It's still in the primitive stages but it finally does what I basically wanted it to do since the beginning - search through videos.
- Simple text search through video names
- Basic filter to search for any person
- Filter by roles (lead, secondary, observer)
- Lead: Person in charge of playing or explaining the game
- Secondary: All people playing with the lead or taking turns with the lead
- Observer: All people who serve as strictly a commentator during the video
- Filter by platform (360, PS3, Wii, etc) or tags (Flight Club, game shows, etc)
- Simple "silly" stats (role distribution, average video length, platform distribution) with graphs
- Linkable results
- HTML5/Flash video player that you can add either individual videos or filtered results into the playlist (100 videos maximum)
- Reorder (drag and drop) and save your playlist for future viewing
To do list:
Collect data on the remaining 500+ videos (whenever my bandwidth allows for it) Basic filter to search by any role Platform/On-camera/Tag filter (the data already exists for videos I've gone through, just need to expand the queries)
- UI and functionality improvements
Stats of some sort
- Cut down on the URL length of searches
Don't make sweeping routing changes minutes before showing the site (oops)
I would also like to thank Giantbomb for creating their API to allow users to play around with their data. Any comments are appreciated however, just letting it out is kind of nice for me too.
Third update (12/05/2013):
- Filter by tags
- HTML5/Flash video player with playlist capabilities
Second update (29/04/2013):
- Enabled platform and on-camera tag field for both basic and advanced filters
- A quick glance at stats such as quick looks helmed by Drew are currently the longest by the main cast
First significant update (16/04/2013):
- It was done for a few days but I just pushed all video data to the live site
- Added basic filtering where you can just add people without roles
- Interface changes:
- Also just remembered to remove the use of sessions for filtering navigation, that was probably a bad idea
- Found out that pagination didn't really work on the live site, likely since forever. Fixed for now