Application Question

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xMP44x

Just wondering, is there a way to update your GiantBomb status outside of your profile? Say, with an external program? I know it's possible to do it with Twitter, but I don't like updating my Twitter with something like that, for the simple reason that it could be taken as looking like spam.

If someone has made something like this that runs on Windows, or someone is planning on making something like this, I'd really like to know. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not, so any input is appreciated. Thanks :)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

You could set up another Twitter account that you intend only to use for updating your Giant Bomb status and then use the Twitter app of your choice to update it.

There may also be another way, which I'm testing now.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LordAndrew
@xMP44x: 
Here's a simple web page I created that allows you to update your status remotely. Your avatar and the text of the update should be returned. That means it was successful.

<html>
    <head>
        <title>Update your Giant Bomb status</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form method="POST" action="http://www.giantbomb.com/users/set-status/">
            <input type="text" name="status" />
            <input type="checkbox" name="twitterout" id="id_twitterout">
                <label for="id_twitterout">Publish on Twitter?</label>
            <button type="submit">Submit</button>
        </form>
    </body>
</html> 

Feel free to take that and use it in whatever way you want. You could also use an external program to send the POST request if you know what you're doing.
Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You should make an iGoogle gadget for it. ;)

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xMP44x

Wow... thanks man! I appreciate you giving me this code and all, but I have absolutely no idea how to use it. I can't code at all. Still, if someone could give me a guide to doing it, that'd be sweet. Ideally, I would like to make an external app for use on a desktop, so I could remotely update my status. Any ideas?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
@xMP44x: If you knew how to code, I could probably whip up an example in your programming language of choice. But since you said you can't code, that makes things a bit difficult.

If you can tell me what operating system you use and what exactly you want out of this program (just a pure status updater?), I might be able to create something for you. No guarantees though. I've been working on some other stuff and I start school soon, so I might not have much time.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xMP44x

All I'd really want is a pure status updater, so anything you can make would be perfect.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By harris
@xMP44x: I'm making an adobe air app that will run on pretty much any OS now. I'll post a link to it's thread when it's done.

Edit: Looks like air can't handle some of the javascript GB uses. This would make it hard to make an app in air. Sorry.