Cards Against Humanity with API Game Title and Subtitle

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've built a web app with the Giant Bomb API. It's basically "Apples to Apples" or "Cards Against Humanity" but with video game titles and subtitles. I took every game title in the database that has a colon in it and split it there. Then multiple "gray card" players nominate a subtitle to append to the "red card" player's title, a winner is chosen, and everyone laughs at "My Little Pony: The World Warrior".

A twist that I added is that the red card player selects an "award" for the title before sharing it with rest of the group. It's supposed to be like a "game of the year award" category that can influence what type of subtitles might be most appropriate. So the player with the main card can kind of tell the rest, what they're looking for.

This is an html5/javascript/jquery web app, not a native ios or Android app. It's designed to be used on a mobile device, where the screen size actually resembles that of a card drawn from a deck of cards, but it can certainly be played on a desktop browser as well. It works well on ipods and iphones, Android Firefox, desktop Firefox and Chrome. It's less reliable on desktop IE and Android Dolphin. I'm the programmer so I'm more than happy to talk tech with anyone who's curious. It's responsively designed so it looks fine on mobile devices, and probably looks best on mobile because it's supposed to look like the cards that these games tend to use.

-GAME NEEDS ART BADLY-

I've got crappy programmer art in place now. If anyone wants to make something I'll be happy to add it. It's just 8-10 small images: Award badges, trophies, or symbols such as an image for a "Most Confusing" game of the year award. You'll see when you play it.

It's available here: Giant Bomb Title Colon Subtitle

There are glowing step-by-step instructions in the app, (which can be toggled off in the "help/settings"). You can of course simulate a multi-player game by yourself by just opening up multiple browsers, so you don't have to get multiple people together just to try it out.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!