#1 Edited by TheAdmin (715 posts) -

I wanted to create this thread as the main place to request features for the staff to work on in the API. It seems that there are quite a few developers ready to make some really compelling apps, but currently some of the missing features makes that very difficult or impossible. Here are few of the ones that I would like added, and I would hope other developers could add in what they're looking for - together we can really expand the Giantbomb brand to a host of cool apps and utilities with the right support from the API's developers.   

Sorting:

The vast amount of data in the API is currently beyond the scope of sorting on the developer end.  I would really like to see full sorting on the API side.  Which would mean you could do "Sort=" and use any of the fields. Examples would be "sort=release_date", "sort=expected_release_month" and much more.  I think Adding sort will increase the usability of the API considerably and allow for better apps.

News: 

Lots of great articles are posted by the crew and a feed to know when and what those are would be great. Resource: /news/ would be awesome along with the sorting above - for example: /news/?api_key="MY KEY"&sort=date_posted&creator=jeff&format=xml - This would return all news, sorted by the date it was posted, created by Jeff Gerstmann. This would allow for apps that could watch the news feeds and keep up to date on when new stuff was posted.  

Video 

Currently, you can only sort by publish_date - which is helpful, but not quite enough. This goes back into sorting mostly, but having a new field for the type of video would be helpful. So the field could be "type" or "category" - and would display quick looks, features and so on - all sortable. Perhaps you could limit the type as well... so something like /video/?api_key="MY KEY"&sort="dated_posted"&limit=quick_look&format=XML would return all quick looks sorted by when they were posted.   

These are just some of the features that I would like to see added.  Please post anything you'd like to see in here as well, even if you want to expand on what I posted above. By consolidating our feature request list, perhaps we can show the GB devs that there is a lot of interest in the APIs. 

#2 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Yeah, sorting sucks. You could get around that by mirroring everything locally and implementing your own decent searching and sorting methods, but that's hardly practical.

The thing with news is that I'm not sure it uses the same license as the wiki stuff. Contributions to the wiki are licensed as CC-BY-NC. And I get the feeling they don't even like doing that. Most gaming sites like to retain the copyright over editorial content and like to make it available under free or sorta free-ish licenses. I imagine Giant Bomb's staff would be the same way. They don't mind making an RSS feed available; many sites do that. But making it available through the API with primarily CC-BY-NC content makes it look like the news would be available under that license, even if that's not what they intended. I'd only like to see news made available through the API if they explicitly state that they've released it under the CC-BY-NC license. There's too much licensing confusion already.

I'd love a list of authors for... well, about everything that the API can retrieve. For news and video though, you can currently get that from the RSS feed, through the dc:creator element. Yeah, it doesn't give you everything you want. But I haven't seen anything happen on the API development front for a very long time, so I'm not sure you'll ever see any of these enhancements. :(

#3 Posted by TheAdmin (715 posts) -

For anyone that was wondering, the 4 feeds are: 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Giantbombvideos,  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Giantbombnews,  http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/, and  http://feeds.feedburner.com/GiantbombAll   

Although, unfortunately it seems that even things like news and videos - and to a certain extent "ALL" doesn't exactly match the site's content. It seems like it gets posted and so forth at different times and sorted differently.  Oh well. C'mon Giantbomb! Give us developers the tools to really wow you! 

#4 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2525 posts) -
#5 Posted by mosdl (3243 posts) -

One major missing piece is dlc - a game resource has no idea what dlc is available. Also, dlc reviews are lumped in with the game review without a way to discern which is which.

#6 Posted by beforeseven (30 posts) -

I might be missing this, I'm not sure, but as far as I can see API search results do not return the game platform. I see this as kind of critical. Any chance of adding this?

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@beforeseven: Good catch. You can use the api_detail_url or id to query the game resource and get more data. I've had to do that for most of the stuff I do since most of the fields I need are not available via the games resource.
#8 Posted by beforeseven (30 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Thanks for the response. Yea, I could send another 20 queries to the api, one for each of the search results, but I think that'll slow down my search mechanism (done via Ajax for instant feedback, so needs to be fast). Not to mention the fact that I could potentially be hammering the api unnecessarily.  

The game platform adds essential context to the search results, which is why I think it would be a good fit to be included then and there. Without it, you're seeing multiple results for a search string such as "Street Fighter" with no idea which one is most relevant to you. 

So, to reiterate: Any chance of it being added?
#9 Posted by crstffr (1 posts) -

Hello, just to put my two cents in here, I'd like to also say that I'd love to see the sort be expanded upon, as well as the addition of a sort direction (ascending or descending).

Then to also have the console platform information in the result of a search query would be great too.  Having to run a loop and lookup game platforms for each result item is a bit clumsy.

Thanks and good work on the API thus far.

#10 Posted by Soulcutter (1 posts) -

For security reasons, you should really consider adding an API Key Secret which can be used to sign API requests with. As it stands there's nothing stopping a person from stealing another person's API Key by snooping their app's http requests or even just googling ( http://www.google.com/search?q=api.giantbomb.com+api_key shows a few). It's a fairly standard feature of most developer APIs, and just a Good Idea™ (at least if you're trying to restrict access to your API at all).

#11 Posted by andrewfader (2 posts) -

Agree that platform data on search would be useful, rather than having to hammer the API with checks for every result.

#12 Posted by Entropic (1 posts) -

I would also echo the need for returning platform information in the Games resource... Including Genre, Publisher, and Developer would also be extremely helpful.

#13 Posted by adamsadler (1 posts) -

As a UK based dev, I would love the ability to return UK box art (or any other country for that matter!) if available. Even if all images were available as URL's, with a caption, and we had to look for any with UK in the title (Halo CE for example, has a UK box art file which is not available via the API).

Hopefully this can be included in the proposed rewrite.

And I also would love the full genre, publisher and developer information within the standard search request - although I imagine there could be problems with queries where different devs have worked on different platforms etc - hanheld versions are often different devs.

Thanks for everything we have so far!

#14 Posted by Avenged (28 posts) -
@adamsadler: Searching for a particular game is not region specific. In order to get the UK box art of a game you need to dig deeper and look at the individual releases of the game. You will then see (if the image has been uploaded and is available for that region) the UK boxart. Hope that helps. 
#15 Posted by subkamran (19 posts) -

After using the API for awhile now, I definitely agree we need better sorting, especially for searches. Right now I recursively do a search and fetch all results so I can reliably display results (i.e. exact matches go to the top and then sorted by popularity!).

In addition, I'd love to see the Achievements resource exposed (I don't even know how you get that info, Xbox API?).

I also would like to reduce round-trips to the API so a way to manually pre-fetch relationships would be awesome. Example, I would love to show platforms on search but in order to do that, I'd have to re-fetch the platform data per each game in the search... when search already takes 100-300ms, adding that again and again... not fun. I already am forced to do it when a user adds a game (I fetch platforms and soon am going to have to fetch releases too).

#16 Posted by JackG100 (406 posts) -

I just wanted to make a list of great in game music, but noticed (I think) that GB doesnt grab specific tracks of soundtracks, which I find kinda sad since gamemusic is one of my favorite genres of music. :) So I guess Id like a dataentry for musical tracks out of the game OSTs.

#17 Posted by pcx360 (1 posts) -

Hello,

I'm posting here but what I'm looking for might already be available in the current API and I simply overlooked (because it seems like what I'm doing is a bit overcomplicated compared to my very simple goal).

Basically I want, every few days, to execute a batch that retrieves all the Xbox 360 and XBLA games, along with their genre tags and their release date.

So right now I have to do it like this (there are some extra internal things for caching and such, but this is complete as far as the API is concerned):

1. Get the list of games (/games/), filtering using "platforms" and "field_list" for id/game
  2. Get game details (/game/id), filtering using "field_list" for id, name, releases and genres
  3. Get release details (/release/id), filtering using "field_list" for game, platform and release_date

Could this be done in a simpler way? My main issue is really with the release date, which causes a lot of extra queries when that info could be available directly in /game/.

And if it can't be done, could it possibly be added to the API that the releases information for /game/ includes the platform, because some old games have been released on tons of platforms and in the end I have to do 20 or queries to find the right release...

Thanks

#18 Posted by KZork (1 posts) -

Hi,

what do you think about adding CORS header to your json responses?

I know, that you are supporting jsonp as a result format, but making plain json based requests/response handling would make life easier using javascript in modern browsers....

Thanks & cheers

Christian

#19 Posted by dickverbunt (1 posts) -

My request:

Add "platforms" of the games to /search/

I realy miss that.

#20 Posted by KungPung (1 posts) -

I'd really like to be able to get images with a specific tag (I only want screenshots, for example).

#21 Posted by atholm (31 posts) -

@kungpung said:

I'd really like to be able to get images with a specific tag (I only want screenshots, for example).

I second that. The API only allows retrieving 30 images from the gallery and I expect that these are the 30 last uploaded?

#22 Posted by jonathanrezende (9 posts) -

Hi,

I couldn't find these info in the game object, so I will put here as a request:

• Multiplayer - Is the game able to player multiplayer? Maximum at same time?
  • Cooperative - Can I play with my friends the campaign of the game? Maximum at same time?
  • Languages - Which languages the game is translated on? English, japanese, portuguese?

Now, the next request is a very special one.
I couldn't find out a place to edit games in other language.
I am Brazilian. Here we speak portuguese.
I was thinking in building a brazilian version of the giantbomb but using the same resources as you, so we could have a unique and international database game.
But for that to happen, we need to be able to edit a "portuguese" version of the game. That includes videos and any text field, like title and description.

Thanks!
Jonathan

#23 Edited by joshuacant (3 posts) -

It would be really awesome to have dlc_release and dlc_releases like we do for full games. Or add DLC to the release/releases resources? Whatever makes the most sense.

#24 Edited by Sata (23 posts) -

It's hard and sad to read this thread and see how it looks completely abandoned. No real answers from any mod or developer or anything.

I feel like I should still post anyway my request, even though I have no idea how much attention it would be given.

I was reading through the /api/promos/ output and it lists some of the podcasts that aren't on the bombcast rss feed. Understandably, sure. There should probably be another feed for ones that aren't "bombcasts".

However I noticed that their resource type is "podcast". That is when I saw that there is no "podcast" resource type on the API. I mean, no /api/podcasts/ or /api/podcast/id/. I don't understand why there isn't one. It looks like there should be one. So that's my request. A new API resource type that covers those podcasts.

#25 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

sorry guys, we're in the midst of spinning up gamespot. We will start attacking most of these features around the end of September beginning of October. Apologies again for the lack of response, just been pretty busy.

#26 Edited by DarkbeatDK (1347 posts) -

How about allowing Instagram and Vine embedding in comments/forum posts?

#27 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@darkbeatdk: That isn't an API feature request. That sort of forum feature request would be better suited for a thread on the Bug Reporting forum.

#28 Posted by jbn566 (34 posts) -

Is there a way to expose a user's custom list via the API? If not then consider it a feature request :)

I noticed lists are displayed on the right side of the games so it is not really a privacy thing right?

#29 Posted by peteace (15 posts) -

@mrpibb Is there anyway that we can get the list of DLC as part of the /game resource? I've had several users on Grouvee ask me to be able to add DLC to their collection.

#30 Posted by atrament (1 posts) -

Hi

I would like to join the crowd here calling for the fields genres and platforms in the search results. I know I can get it from the detailed info about a game but it means I have to make a special http request for every returned search result and that makes the search sooo slow :(

#31 Edited by Poonarge (3 posts) -

Hi,

Would be nice to be able to search games by UPC/EAN

Regards,

Richard

#32 Posted by abitdodgy (5 posts) -

Would you considering including genre in the releases? This would circumvent having to make an additional request to the game object.

#33 Posted by alfaalex (2 posts) -

Would it be possible to add the name of the game localized? For example:

en: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
fr: Uncharted 3 : L'Illusion de Drake
it: Uncharted 3: L'inganno di Drake
es: Uncharted 3: La traición de Drake
jp: アンチャーテッド 砂漠に眠るアトランティス

:D

#34 Posted by abitdodgy (5 posts) -

I think something that is really useful is having the release type, if it's digital or CD.

#35 Edited by mrdan (4 posts) -

Quick one: Access to the schedule for upcoming videos / streams? (i.e. what's in the upcoming box on the main page)