OpenID authentication

Daverix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Daverix

It would be great if GiantBomb could support OpenID! OpenID is a authentication protokoll that uses URLs to give you your own ID. The big companies already has support for OpenID (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft) and also some blogs have support for it (Wordpress, Livejournal) and the number is growing.

It works like this:

1. You input your OpenID url on giantbomb (or press a button with some brand like Google for example)
  2. You are sent to your OpenID provider's site (or it opens in a popup, developers choice)
  3. You tell the OpenID provider that's it OK to login to giantbomb with your OpenID.
  4. You get redirected back to giantbomb and is now logged in.
If you set the OpenID provider that it should remember your choice if giantbomb should use your OpenID you can just login in with your OpenID and get logged in directly as you are already logged in to your OpenID provider!

I think it would be really great to have this on giantbomb as I have accounts on so many places and with OpenID I only need to remember my password for my OpenID instead of all those sites!

- Daverix
stillmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By stillmotion

The new version—due out sometime this or next week—supports Facebook and Google accounts as a signup protocol.

Proof:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/18954/869740-profile.png
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't think that would do anything for OpenID support. That Facebook/Google thing is only for importing friends from those sites.

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By zerok

If GB plans to support FacebookConnect/Google Friends Connect for auth, it would be really nice to support OpenID support as well. 

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By snide

We're planning on FB/Friend Connect integration in the next month or so. OpenID as a generic platform though really bothers me. I love the idea, but the implementation so far has been horrible from a user standpoint. We'll continue to look into new tech as our users get more aware of them.

Really, I'm just waiting for either Facebook or Google to own user signup so that we can get out of this multi-platform shit and medium sized sites like us can not have to worry about registration. Right now it's the equivalent of trying to back a certain browser. Oh... what about Opera support...etc.

On my last sentence don't even mention web standards, because web standards fall out the window as soon as you're building something bigger then a blog. Sorry, just saw a chance to vent with my code-aware brethren.
stillmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By stillmotion
snide said:
On my last sentence don't even mention web standards, because web standards fall out the window as soon as you're building something bigger then a blog. Sorry, just saw a chance to vent with my code-aware brethren.
"

Oh Snide, you're amazing.