ThaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThaNerd

#BEGIN BORING STORY
I've been working on a little thing for a few weeks before i found this database and API.

I don't need much details about games, so i though i could have the database built by end-users of my app. What i really needed is games' names, a box art, and the list of platforms for which a given game exists. Optionnally, i wanted to add game genre, publisher, developper, and wether the game is multi-player or not.

So i began building a little DB along with building my app, thinking i'd add more data when the app would be on stage...

The thing is, i'm not creating a searchable database of all games that exist... I'd really only need the games actually owned or wanted by my users...

I have a database table with game data, another table with platform-specific data about a game, and finally a third table containing a list of games' nicknames/aliases.
#END BORING STORY

I've tested the api a little bit, and it gives pretty much detailed data about games, including MUCH info i don't need at all. On the other side, i didn't see a way to "search" for a game... All i've seen possible is to filter /games/ by offset and limit... I'd like to be able to query something like this:
http://api.giantbomb.com/games/?api_key=abcdef1224564687221687&format=json&alias=Soul+Calibur+IV

is there something like this in the api?

Actually, my aliases table also contain the game's official name, and i have an ajax script that search for a game based on the few letters the user typed in the search field (just like on this website's search box, indeed)...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Filters should be coming soon. And TheBeast has suggested some additional filters to be used for searches. See here for more details.

ThaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ThaNerd

Thanks for info... For now i was wondering if i would have to batch-import all the database's data into my own database. I'd send some general queries, apply some filtering on client side (so on my server), import data to some tables in my database depending the given game is one of those i want to use or not...

I'll just continue working on other things before i integrate giantbomb in my project... Thanks for info, LordAndrew!

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By thebeast

Yeah, you're best bet is to create a table associating your local game IDs with those on GB and populate it periodically with a script.

If you were to filter the API results by game name, you'd probably end up with problems where game names differ or where there are multiple results for the query.

You could always cache the data you collect for each game too - although I'm not too sure what the terms of use specify about that.