Tool to build an Excel based video game Collection

hoechst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By hoechst
I keep track of my game collection in Excel. 
It's awesome when you finally got every game listed (with details such as Developer, Release Date, etc.).  But it's an ass to get there. 
I think I spend more than 18 hours just to build my basic database from scratch. That's more time I spend on building this basic Tool. 

I know it's not perfect. There's probably some bugs I'm not aware of. It also doesn't tell you if there's some error and will probably crash if you feed it the wrong file format.
Usage is pretty straightforward. Only advice: Try it with a short list (I included an example file) first, to see it it works. 

DOWNLOAD

It's not ment to be a one-click solution for building a perfect database. It merely helps you building a basis for a good database by automatic the steps you otherwise had to do manually. 

No Caption Provided
hoechst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hoechst

@shadowstep0705: what exactly do you want to know?

hoechst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hoechst

@shadowstep0705: sure. i use plane http api calls documented here. the api returns json objects which my tool translate into objects readable by jexcelapi.

Mirthoneist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I downloaded this but it doesn't seem to pull the data in for the other columns. Since it's been 2 years since this was made, I suppose things have changed to where it wouldn't work anymore.

Does anyone know if there is something similar to this? I'd like to have all my games listed on an excel spreadsheet so I can view it on the go on my phone without a data connection. Thanks!

bikeking8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bikeking8

It works still! At least on a trial run. I'm on Win 7 32 bit. What I did was:

1. xxxxxxx....

Edit: I tried it with all my game titles which match the GB dB exactly, it did nothing for the 26 hours it was running. Tried it with 50, hung an hour before I stopped it. Twenty games - look, bottom line, this tool is broken, and we'll have to continue querying the Giant Bomb database in the same inefficient manner for years to come because they won't give us a bleeping "games" table with "concepts",
"Genre" and all the other fields it would be nice to have. So keep hammering away at the dB, I guess, until the year comes that they don't have all the info scattered to the four winds of the bleeping universe......

hoechst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hoechst

:o

someone actually tried to use this?

it's 3 years old, i didn't even know the api was still a thing. i actually just tried to use it with 7 games and it seems to work with such a small amount. although even that took a few minutes. the tools isn't efficient in any way (no multithreading), but was far as i remeber, it worked (slowly) a few years back.

they might do api throttling now or something.

been looking for the source code for half an hour now. looks like it's gone.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

collthemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

only discovering this tool, don't know if it's still working or not now but the idea is interesting, i'll going to implement a web tool for that...Stay tuned !