Hi, I'm Harris, the developer who started the GB android app. As I've worked on the app, I've run into things that simply weren't documented in the API and I had to use. While the API is great for getting game info and stuff, it's rather lacking for getting general GiantBomb content. I had to do packet capture on the site as well as the iPhone app to unearth some interesting, useful, and undocumented functions. These would be great to implement in the API, btw, in case any GB staff is reading this. Below is a short list of them, which may grow in the future:
Everything below will probably not be interesting unless you're a developer using GB stuff. Also, as usual, if the GB staff doesn't like this, feel free to make it disappear. Let me know if there are any errors.
Video SearchThis is what the small video search box on the videos page uses. I couldn't find documentation for it anywhere, so I had to use packet capture to find it.
Where "QUERY" is your search terms. ct_ids=17 seems to indicate the search is for videos only. So " http://www.giantbomb.com/autosearch/?ct_ids=17&q=bayonetta" would return a nice lookin' JSON response of all the video results for 'bayonetta', with some nice info. Sweet.
iPod Formatted Videos
This was the holy grail that allowed the GB app to play GB videos. I actually had the idea for the app after doing packet capture on the iPhone app for fun (yep.. I'm a geek.. that's the kind of thing I do for fun T_T). SO, here's how to use it.
- Make a /video/ request and get the 'url' parameter of the video you want. Should look something like this: "tr_matthazardbbb_gag.flv"
- Some video filenames are formatted a little differently, so: IF the name contains ".flv", remove it. Some videos have it, some videos don't. So now we have: "tr_matthazardbbb_gag"
- Add "http://media.giantbomb.com/video/" to the beginning of the name. So: "http://media.giantbomb.com/video/tr_matthazardbbb_gag"
- Add "_ip.m4v?api_key=API_KEY" where API_KEY is your api key to the end of the name. So: "http://media.giantbomb.com/video/tr_matthazardbbb_gag_ip.m4v?api_key=API_KEY"
- Done! You now have the URL to the iPod formatted video.
All hail luchadeer,