AC4 A Lot Less Hand-Holding, Than Previous Titles?

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll AC4 A Lot Less Hand-Holding, Than Previous Titles? (76 votes)

Yes 45%
No 4%
Somewhat 39%
About the same 9%

I'm just curious if anyone else had noticed this. I was blown away by how little they spent on tutorial stuff.

After about an hour in, they just seem to cut you loose. I love the fact that they actually let you explore a TON, with your ship. It just feels like the old days, when you had to explore and figure things out on your own. I find it extremely FUN.

This, coming from someone who swore he was done with the AC series..

• 
PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

But that was my favourite part... when Altair would go on those little dates with the girl assassin Altairette and you had to press circle to hold hands just as his confidence meter filled up. I loved it! I drew pictures of it in my diary. But you can't see it!! It's my secret diary!! :D yay!!!

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FoolishChaos

That sounds pretty awesome.

I just started AC3, and the several hour tutorial/intro section is killing me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

Sort of. They dish out the tutorials for mission types and whatnot over a decent space of time. They never just dump all of it on you at once. I'd played the game for nearly ten hours before I was introduced to swimming. (the swimming is shit and easily the worst part of the game)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

well, im still early on, but for example, one of the side objectives in a early mission was to tackle a pickpocketer, and not only did they not say that (just said catch him) but it doenst actually tell you how to tackle either, so I would say yes, its less hand hold-y

so, can you repeat missions anyway? if not I already blew my chance at 100% sync 3% into the game lol

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By sammo21

I don't know if its less hand holding as much as it is them saying, "Hey...we know you probably played most of the other ones, so go at it." I don't think there is a deliberate attempt at not tutorializing everything for all players as much as they are admitting that the series is selling to the same people over and over.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It kinda seems like a reaction to the feedback and reviews of AC3.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhaknar: Hmmmm. I may be talking out of my ass, but I think you can select previous missions from the Animus. I haven't tried it myself, I think I may have heard that on a bombcast, or the QL.

Yeah, the button prompts are a tad small, and they don't really stay on the screen for very long. I've had several occassions of trying to run up behind a guy, and stab him. Only to run right through him, lol

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds pretty awesome.

I just started AC3, and the several hour tutorial/intro section is killing me.

Yeah, AC3 is torture. I was like Jeff, "When does this game start?!" haha.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sammo21

@rhaknar: Yes, you can go back and play missions and sequences you have already completed. This makes getting 100% pretty easy.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@sammo21 said:

@rhaknar: Yes, you can go back and play missions and sequences you have already completed. This makes getting 100% pretty easy.

ah cool, not sure if ill bother with it, some of the stuff you need to do seems pretty annoying (sneak around without getting in combat? err no thank you). I am getting everything on the map as usual, but I probably wont do the 100% syncs

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhaknar: Not really that hard, especially after you get stuff like the blowgun which puts people to sleep. I am around sequence 6 or 7 now and not getting into combat isn't that hard. The only thing that will keep me from possibly getting a platinum in this game is the multiplayer achievements.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Sort of... they don't even introduce many features of the game and its up to you to go explore them. Harpooning for instance, they never spoke of it in the game (as much as I remember) and one day i just decided to go check it out.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@buneroid said:

A lot of the design choices in the game feel like they're directly addressing the problems that people had with AC3.

• A streamlined crafting system that's actually USEFUL
  • A protagonist that's not constantly brooding and maudlin
  • An out-of-Animus experience that's FAR less up its own ass
  • Guns are useful again. They still take a while to reload (because that's just how things were), but now you can carry like 5 pistols.
  • A system for making money on the side (Kenway's Fleet) that makes more sense. It's still not great, but it's a lot better than AC3's caravan stuff
  • Not as many instant fail stealth missions (although still far more tailing and eavesdropping missions than I'd have liked)
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree for the most part. I think they stretch the boat tutorial stuff a little thin but other than that, I was impressed at how little time it took to have fun.

I thought this series was done, Revelations and III were fucking abysmal games, but this one hits the spot.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SomeDeliCook

You still have to progress a bunch in the story to unlock all the basic features though. Diving isn't available until like sequence 5 and there's still locations you can't access yet.

I had around 20 hours of gametime with 50% completion before I even got the diving bell. It's a bit jarring to get that far but only be on the very early missions and then have to go back and 'learn' how to do stuff like take over forts when I already have them all. It's Far Cry 3 all over again.

Still love it though

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of. They dish out the tutorials for mission types and whatnot over a decent space of time. They never just dump all of it on you at once. I'd played the game for nearly ten hours before I was introduced to swimming. (the swimming is shit and easily the worst part of the game)

Haven't they always done that? (other than 1)

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit jarring to get that far but only be on the very early missions and then have to go back and 'learn' how to do stuff like take over forts when I already have them all.

Yeah, that fort mission is the biggest offender. "Yarr, here be how you seize a fort!" "I already seized seven of them already!" "Don't be intrerruptin' Blackbeard's tutorial ye scurvy swag!" It's so weird that the game gates something so completely innocuous like the diving bell, but you can attack every fort you see right off the bat.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By crusader8463

I never noticed. It seems about the same as before to me.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

@buneroid said:

A lot of the design choices in the game feel like they're directly addressing the problems that people had with AC3.

• A streamlined crafting system that's actually USEFUL
  • A protagonist that's not constantly brooding and maudlin
  • An out-of-Animus experience that's FAR less up its own ass
  • Guns are useful again. They still take a while to reload (because that's just how things were), but now you can carry like 5 pistols.
  • A system for making money on the side (Kenway's Fleet) that makes more sense. It's still not great, but it's a lot better than AC3's caravan stuff
  • Not as many instant fail stealth missions (although still far more tailing and eavesdropping missions than I'd have liked)

Thank god for the last point. That shit was the worst in AC3, and I agree there is still too many tailing missions for my taste.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

20 hours in and about 22 or so Assassination Contracts in I was shown the tutorial for said Contracts.