#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Can not wait for this game. I never finished the 3rd game but the boat parts where by far the best part of it for me.

Really like that it refers to the boat as the second main character.

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -

Wait, how does this game even exist after what happens at the end of III?

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Its Conners grandfather.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -

@the_laughing_man:

I know that, but Desmond dies at the end of III. How's this supposed to be happening without Desmond? Is it a Liberation thing where we drop all Animus pretenses?

#5 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man:

I know that, but Desmond dies at the end of III. How's this supposed to be happening without Desmond? Is it a Liberation thing where we drop all Animus pretenses?

Any number of ways. Could be lie Revelations where its before 3. Or Maybe Desmond has a sibling.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man:

You know what. Fuck it. Nanomachines.

#7 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Well, his dad is alive and could easily hop into the animus setup they got. There might be an in universe reason why that isn't possible, but their fiction is dumb so who cares

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4030 posts) -
@the_laughing_man said:

@video_game_king said:

@the_laughing_man:

You know what. Fuck it. Nanomachines.

The story is really, you TheLaughingMan, is a scientist at Abstergo.

Blu3V3nom07 wants to grow his hair out soon again, but HR doesn't seem to care anyway.

I think they said that they wanted to do some character customization for your scientist character, but I don't really see the point. I mean, it could work if they had a hub, or room to run around in.

#9 Edited by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

Probably loads of people have Master Pirate Assassin guy as an ancestor. I bet that dude boned half of the Caribbean.

That or AC3 opens with Desmond's kid in an Animus in the Minerva-fucked future, and you've really been seen everything through him this whole time.

#10 Edited by CheapPoison (708 posts) -

Or! Maybe they do away with their stupid modern story line and just focus on pirates.

#11 Edited by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

At this point why not just call it something new? The whole premise of being a super secret assassin in a super secret guild seems like the least important part of this game. I'm not bashing the game, because this shit looks awesome, but this seems more like a pirate game than an assassin game. It's as if I were playing a Halo game but the entire thing revolves around designing and building your own space ship and destroying other space fleets (sounds awesome, but why's it still called Halo?)

As for the people wondering why this game exists after the end of AC3, ubisoft pretty much confirmed that this is no longer part of Desmond's story, you are just a dude who is going into an animus machine that Abstergo has turned into an entertainment product (see AC3 multiplayer).

#12 Posted by Humanity (7965 posts) -

I wasn't at all interested in AC3 but I think I might continue my proud tradition of skipping one AC title and getting the next one in line.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -

At this point why not just call it something new?

#14 Posted by Evilsbane (4340 posts) -

Looks rad the seamless open island hopping looks like it will destroy many hours of my life.

#15 Posted by natetodamax (19137 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@the_laughing_man:

Any number of ways. Could be lie Revelations where its before 3. Or Maybe Desmond has a sibling.

The developers said that you the player are the modern character, basically meaning that there really isn't one, at least not to the extent as previous games.

This video has sold me though. It looks pretty great.

#16 Edited by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -
#17 Edited by GunstarRed (4736 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

You're playing one of those games Abstergo made, forget where I heard it, probably in some E3 livestream. Y'know like all the silly videos tied to the multiplayer stuff in previous games.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -

@gunstarred:

I never really touched the multiplayer. Always went for the single player campaign.

#19 Posted by SlashDance (1758 posts) -

I wonder how long this has been in development. It looks crazy ambitious for something coming out just a year after the previous game.

#20 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4484 posts) -

@video_game_king: It's the best multiplayer out there pretty much, consistently amazing.

Singleplayer has been pretty mediocre/middling since Brotherhood (and AC1 just flat out sucked most of the time); though I suppose AC3 wasn't bad just the story falls off at the end/Haytham is a way better protagonist than Connor.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

At this point why not just call it something new? The whole premise of being a super secret assassin in a super secret guild seems like the least important part of this game. I'm not bashing the game, because this shit looks awesome, but this seems more like a pirate game than an assassin game. It's as if I were playing a Halo game but the entire thing revolves around designing and building your own space ship and destroying other space fleets (sounds awesome, but why's it still called Halo?)

Because branding works I guess.

I think this looks neat, but yeah the original premise of AC is long gone. My only concern with the video is that everything just looks trivially easy again. It's kinda meaningless to come up against a ship of the line if you can just kill everybody on board single-handedly without breaking a sweat.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -
#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4497 posts) -

All this made me think of was that one gag from the bloopers for the first Pirates of the Caribbean, where they edit it so the ships are going really fast and making car sounds and all the cannons sound like uzis.

One day, there's going to be a really cool pirate game. This isn't it.

#24 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

All this made me think of was that one gag from the bloopers for the first Pirates of the Caribbean, where they edit it so the ships are going really fast and making car sounds and all the cannons sound like uzis.

One day, there's going to be a really cool pirate game. This isn't it.

Why not?

#25 Posted by Kierkegaard (556 posts) -

I really like the look of this. The problem is Watch Dogs. I can only handle so many open world games at a time. Walking through Chicago with a magic smart phone is unlike anything while exploring the Caribbean in a ship is cool, but not as interesting to me right now.... That being said, I'll probably buy this at some point. Damn it, willpower.

#26 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4497 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I guess what I should say is, this isn't the pirate game I'm looking for. The naval combat looks way too arcade-y and bland, and while I've never been particularly fond of how the AC series handles it's open world/RPG aspects (besides the running around like a lunatic part, at least), it particularly doesn't look like they fit in well here.

Granted, I'm a heretic who liked the first game in the series the best, so I'm sure plenty of people will probably enjoy this.

#27 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I guess what I should say is, this isn't the pirate game I'm looking for. The naval combat looks way too arcade-y and bland, and while I've never been particularly fond of how the AC series handles it's open world/RPG aspects (besides the running around like a lunatic part, at least), it particularly doesn't look like they fit in well here.

Granted, I'm a heretic who liked the first game in the series the best, so I'm sure plenty of people will probably enjoy this.

Ok I will give you that. It does seem arcadey but you kinda have to do that to keep the pace up. Did you ever play sid myers pirates?

I HATED AC3. I never finished it because of a game breaking bug and the story was dull as hell. But the best parts to me where the ship sections.

#28 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4497 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I never got around to playing 3, although the boat parts did seem the most interesting addition. I did play a little bit of sid meyer's, but the one I always think of is a barely-related-to-the-movies game called Pirates of the Caribbean. I doubt it holds up well these days, but it did have an interesting approach with more strategic naval combat (wind direction/weather, sail/crew damage, etc), and letting you build up your own fleet and crew and stuff.

I dunno, we'll see how this turns out. Could be like XCOM where it spawns a bunch of similar games in that genre/playstyle, which might be cool.

#29 Posted by Humanity (7965 posts) -

No my friend, you are one of the sane ones. The first Assassins Creed suffered from slightly monotonous gameplay but everything else just made perfect sense and was expertly put together. The way he looked, the way he blended into a crowd, the swordplay, the parkouring, the missions - all of that fit right in and subsequently started getting more and more out of hand as the series progressed. By Revelations Ezio has become this big bright clown, yet we're supposed to believe that this person wearing clothes that make him stand out like a sore thumb from miles away is a master assassin.

No, Assassins Creed 1 had a vision and just needed refinement, but instead they went in some completely unnecessary directions and worse yet stuck to them for the subsequent games. This would be an amazing series if every game in the franchise featured a difference protagonist from a different era, yet we got stuck with Ezio for 3 entire games.

Also the feudal Japan setting is just such a no brainer and yet they've actually gone on record as saying they specifically don't want to do it - it's baffling.